sap in purpleheart dowels

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of purpleheart coring dowels that i last turned about 6 months ago. I noticed that a couple of dowels, there is sap coming out of the wood grain. What does this mean? Is the wood not dry enough? I am curious.

Thanks.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even kiln dried wood of some species can occasionally ooze sap. When wood dries, concentrations of sap will crystallize. Changes in humidity and temperature (it is middle of summer and I suspect your shop does not have AC) can make pockets of sap a bit viscous. I have seen this in purpleheart myself.

I suspect there are some heavy veiny looking grains where you are noticing this sap coming from. A tree, while growing, can attempt to self heal flaws/cracks in its tissues by concentrating sap in the areas. This may be the case with your wood.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have had this happen with some purpleheart, usually when I have put a cue in my UV curing booth to darken the purpleheart before finishing. It seems to happen when it gets really warm/hot. The wood is dry, just when hot, it will ooze. I wipe it down with acetone before applying the sealer and have not had any issues.
Dave

Chris Abaya Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it seems like it is heat that is causing the sap to ooze out. We have had over 40+ consecutive days of 90+ degree temps in my area and there's no end in sight and my woods are all in my garage. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.