shaft not sealed , raised wood 10" inches behind ferrule

TILT9

Banned
should I use super fine steel wool to smooth out the raised wood?

can I use gun stock oil or tung oil to seal shaft wood?

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cue maker.
0000 Steel wool is what I use.
Far as sealing the shaft, I wouldn't use either you have posted. When I have to re-seal a shaft, I use motor oil and baby powder, mix them together to a paste consistency, work into the shaft let sit for a short time then clean off with a clean rag, then burnish with leather.
Again, I'm not a cue maker. But, this is the instructions I was given by a well established cue maker.

cj609

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leather burnisher is all you need to take the grain down and close the grain. A little wax will seal the cue. I also use a few drops of Slick on a paper towel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cue maker.
0000 Steel wool is what I use.
Far as sealing the shaft, I wouldn't use either you have posted. When I have to re-seal a shaft, I use motor oil and baby powder, mix them together to a paste consistency, work into the shaft let sit for a short time then clean off with a clean rag, then burnish with leather.
Again, I'm not a cue maker. But, this is the instructions I was given by a well established cue maker.

Are you talking about regular motor oil like used in a vehicle?

I have never heard of this process.

Do you do this by hand or with the cue spinning in a lathe?

TILT9

Banned
don't have motor oil, have olive oil, canola, mineral, and no powder, talc or baby.
I don't know what a leather burnisher is, would a plain strip of leather do?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't have motor oil, have olive oil, canola, mineral, and no powder, talc or baby.
I don't know what a leather burnisher is, would a plain strip of leather do?

Dude. You dont use oil on your shafs.
If the wood is raised make it smooth with 1200 sandpaper, the seal the wood with wax, caranuba works fine. Burnish that into the shaft, use 4000 grit 3M sanding pads for a final pass. If you cant get burnisher from Tiger, use clear shoepolish, just a dab on a a-tip is plenty, polish the sides with paper or leather afterwards.

TILT9

Banned
Dude. You dont use oil on your shafs.
If the wood is raised make it smooth with 1200 sandpaper, the seal the wood with wax, caranuba works fine. Burnish that into the shaft, use 4000 grit 3M sanding pads for a final pass. If you cant get burnisher from Tiger, use clear shoepolish, just a dab on a a-tip is plenty, polish the sides with paper or leather afterwards.
Dude!! :thumbup: working on it right now.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard of the baby powder and motor oil solution for sealing a shaft. I would be afraid that it would not dry and would pick up chalk and dirt.

I use epoxy. Put it on the area and then wipe off as much as you can. Does a nice job.

TILT9

Banned
I have never heard of the baby powder and motor oil solution for sealing a shaft. I would be afraid that it would not dry and would pick up chalk and dirt.

I use epoxy. Put it on the area and then wipe off as much as you can. Does a nice job.
I would be leary about the motor oil baby powder combo too.
Last night a friend contacted me and explained who and where the formula comes from (i couldn't believe it).
I,m not expierenced enough to mess with it, so I'm going with neutral soft wax and a buff.
Knowing me, I'd probably grab a bottle of synthetic or gear lube (oh yeah, that'll straighten things out).
after all, I'm the guy who finished the wood flooring in his house with type A transmission fluid :thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be leary about the motor oil baby powder combo too.
Last night a friend contacted me and explained who and where the formula comes from (i couldn't believe it).
I,m not expierenced enough to mess with it, so I'm going with neutral soft wax and a buff.
Knowing me, I'd probably grab a bottle of synthetic or gear lube (oh yeah, that'll straighten things out).
after all, I'm the guy who finished the wood flooring in his house with type A transmission fluid :thumbup:

And where does the formula come from?

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never heard of anyone using epoxy to seal shaft wood. Seems like a lot of extra work.

I am talking about the 4 to 6 inches after the joint. I mix up some 10 min epoxy, wipe it on and then wipe as much of it off a I can. Takes about a minute and give a great sealed surface to work from.

For the whole shaft I use my own version of lacquer based sanding sealer.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am talking about the 4 to 6 inches after the joint. I mix up some 10 min epoxy, wipe it on and then wipe as much of it off a I can. Takes about a minute and give a great sealed surface to work from.

For the whole shaft I use my own version of lacquer based sanding sealer.

Doesn't 10 minute epoxy have a tendency to turn yellow?

Mario

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There we go! Knew I couldn't be the only one the have this info. I've been using the method (when I knick or ding a shaft) since I found out about it, never had an issue, works great.
As, he has only been making cues 40 years...

Last edited: