SBE "Amateur" event

c_bruner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how Jonathan "Hennessy" Pinegar is considered an "amateur"???? I personally could care less but I know its gonna get brought up so why not now lol

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Just curious how Jonathan "Hennessy" Pinegar is considered an "amateur"???? I personally could care less but I know its gonna get brought up so why not now lol

sbe has a looong history of this even though their stated policy is to keep the events truly amateur.

I watched him shutout Jayson Shaw at DCC 2 years ago in their 9b match. Pretty sporty amateur. :rolleyes:

I see Ike Runnels is playing again this year.

best,
brian kc

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
sbe has a looong history of this even though their stated policy is to keep the events truly amateur.

I watched him shutout Jayson Shaw at DCC 2 years ago in their 9b match. Pretty sporty amateur. :rolleyes:

best,
brian kc

Ike plays APA, so he's fine. :D

Sporty banker, though!

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
Ike plays APA, so he's fine. :D

Sporty banker, though!

Side note: Ike is not allowed in the APA I believe now since 08' or so. And if he were to play Henessey say a race to 100 on a bar table, it would be very ugly for Ike. At his age, it's an apples to oranges comparison. IMO.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to be honest I play in the expo tournament because I'm there and I might as well play instead of paying to get in. Lol I hate the single elimination format and every year you will find multiple players who have no business in an armature tournament in this. In fact people who really know players better then I can pretty much pick the winner or who will be in the finals of every bracket. It's always been my contention that without the expo around it this tournament would not get any where near the entrants it does and I'm proved right every time he's tried to have a fall event with this single elimination format and doesn't get near the participation.

All that being said.. It''s my favorite 4 days of the year and I'm jacked and ready to get to leave in a few short hours!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::smile:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

best,
brian kc

I guess the powers-that-be or decision-making body reads AzBilliards forum because Ike wrote on Facebook that he just received word, 6 hours before he flight leaves, that he could not compete in the amateur event. Hmm . . .

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
5 Questionable Participants / Open Amateur

Allen Hopkins did a pretty good job of policing the Open Amateur this year. But he will surely receive some flak for allowing these players to play IMO:
Ryan McCreesh, Jonathan Pingar (misspelled on the Players list ->should be spelled Pinegar), Joshua Roberts, Marc Vidal Claramunt, Ike Runnels (actually entered in Open Amateur & Seniors Amateur). Would be cool if he would just place all 5 of these guys right next to each other in the same bracket......then only 1 could advance to the money......teach them a lesson for trying to "sneak in"........Good Luck Chris B

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SBE Super Seniors

I saw that Steve Lillis won super seniors last year--he mentions all over his site and his book how he was rated a top pro for years and years- all of a sudden he is an amateur who forgot how to play? Being 65 does not eliminate your status against other TRUE amateurs in your own age bracket- just like Runnels IMO they are not amateurs.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allen Hopkins did a pretty good job of policing the Open Amateur this year. But he will surely receive some flak for allowing these players to play IMO:
Ryan McCreesh, Jonathan Pingar (misspelled on the Players list ->should be spelled Pinegar), Joshua Roberts, Marc Vidal Claramunt, Ike Runnels (actually entered in Open Amateur & Seniors Amateur). Would be cool if he would just place all 5 of these guys right next to each other in the same bracket......then only 1 could advance to the money......teach them a lesson for trying to "sneak in"........Good Luck Chris B

Josh Roberts got in? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:D:thumbup:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Ive been going and entering for the past 10 years and Ive seen it every year. It really blows if you draw one of those guys early.

Just gotta play well hope for the best.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I believe this is the event Alex Olinger won a couple of years ago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How about Shane Winters last year? His Facebook stated he was just not a professional player, he is an ELITE professional player. Evidently not enough to convince Allen not to bar him :eek: :p ;) . Josh Roberts? Really? Mark Vidal? Oh well, I'm playing anyway. Just a bridge from the Warm-up to the Senior event anyway. Something to do to keep busy.

Lyn

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw that Steve Lillis won super seniors last year--he mentions all over his site and his book how he was rated a top pro for years and years- all of a sudden he is an amateur who forgot how to play? Being 65 does not eliminate your status against other TRUE amateurs in your own age bracket- just like Runnels IMO they are not amateurs.

I played against Lillis in a couple of tournaments this last winter. Lost both matches. Extremely nice guy though. I believe he picked up a sponsorship from Mcdermott.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Shane Winters has actually played in the SBE Pro event approx 4 or 5 yrs ago.

Josh Roberts, great player being strongly considered as a Mosconi Cup team member.

Pinegar, as discussed, is a pro player, and so is Ike Runnels, who btw, my buddy Joe drew in the 1st round last year. @ JAM, yes, I did see your post about Ike and while I feel bad for his flight situation, the reality is that he shouldn't have been playing as an amateur for the last however many years at this event, imo. This according to SBE's own policy statement.

how could Winters, Pinegar and Roberts all play and our very own az member ga9ball, Greg Antonakos be barred from competing? :confused: :rolleyes: I was at Edison SBE a few years ago when he was getting ready for his match and they summoned him on the loudspeaker to come to the tourney desk where they banned him from competing.

Obviously, they have a huge job of vetting players to protect amateur status but some of these are real head scratchers that they seem so easy to decide but for some reason they get them wrong.

best,
brian kc

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane Winters has actually played in the SBE Pro event approx 4 or 5 yrs ago.

Josh Roberts, great player being strongly considered as a Mosconi Cup team member.

Pinegar, as discussed, is a pro player, and so is Ike Runnels, who btw, my buddy Joe drew in the 1st round last year. @ JAM, yes, I did see your post about Ike and while I feel bad for his flight situation, the reality is that he shouldn't have been playing as an amateur for the last however many years at this event, imo. This according to SBE's own policy statement.

how could Winters, Pinegar and Roberts all play and our very own az member ga9ball, Greg Antonakos be barred from competing? :confused: :rolleyes: I was at Edison SBE a few years ago when he was getting ready for his match and they summoned him on the loudspeaker to come to the tourney desk where they banned him from competing.

Obviously, they have a huge job of vetting players to protect amateur status but some of these are real head scratchers that they seem so easy to decide but for some reason they get them wrong.

best,
brian kc

Allen Sr. and Allen Jr. may be better served by hiring a technical consultant for just this purpose. Maybe give them a pass to attend for free as payment, which would be nice.

Most of us on this forum are aware of Who's Who in the pool world. It may be that both Allens are out of the loop in 2017 -- or in the alternative, maybe the person responsible for the attendance of the amateur events have no idea what time of day it is in the pool world, which is probably the case. They hire a HUGE staff each year.

I am still wondering when some of the named players show up today for the amateur that they will be told they cannot get in after this thread. :embarrassed2:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuff like this happens and it seems like it a mystery why folks think alot of pro players are ....... less than good folks.

To me, it shows incompetence on the part of the SBE, and lack of class of those players that know better.

Some things never change.

Ken