How to not get robbed at SBE (figuratively)

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I'm a bit embarrassed to even ask this question, but here goes...

I play a lot, but I don't really gamble much - not a lack of desire, more a lack of opportunity. I'd like to play some sets at SBE Friday night for a moderate amount of money (races to 7 for $50) stuff like that.

What I'm concerned about however is that I have no way of not just getting run over, because I know none of these players or their speed and have zero experience in making games.

I'm not a great player, an APA 6 - any tips on how to find people to make a fair game with and not get hustled out of my cash unfairly?

Thanks,

b

PS - "Tough shit, lose your money like everyone else did until they learned how to not get robbed" is an acceptable answer ;)

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

I play a lot, but I don't really gamble much - not a lack of desire, more a lack of opportunity. I'd like to play some sets at SBE Friday night for a moderate amount of money (races to 7 for $50) stuff like that.

What I'm concerned about however is that I have no way of not just getting run over, because I know none of these players or their speed and have zero experience in making games.

I'm not a great player, an APA 6 - any tips on how to find people to make a fair game with and not get hustled out of my cash unfairly?

Thanks,

b

PS - "Tough shit, lose your money like everyone else did until they learned how to not get robbed" is an acceptable answer ;)

Just keep the bets low and you won't get robbed. That way you can pull up when you feel uncomfortable. It's tough to gauge people you've never met before, probably never will again, so weight either way is likely out, unless it's given to you.

Any kind of "per game" action at these types of events I'm very leary of. Race to 7 for $50 is going to be tough to get anyone's attention (I'm just making an assumption here) as lots of players are looking for bigger bets.

With all that being said, if you're an APA 6 I'll gladly play you a set or two.......

Just need the 7 out

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its always good to navigate your way to the "practice table" area. Its just a few pay to play tables sitting on the side. Tables usually start at 5 bucks a rack and go up from there, but it's a great place to meet up with people to play a few cheap sets on the side.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

b

I have never been to the SBE but if it is like any other tournament I have been to.
The reality is, you are about a 99% underdog going in the door.
If I was going to give my money away, I would at least want to give it to someone I could later say , yeah I played him some sets and everyone would do the "Home Alone" face.
Don't lose more than you can afford and it's all good, even if the guy you are playing has a wonky eye and never plays shape, but still gets lucky and runs out .

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Thanks,

b

The first day...watch and listen....second day...play with that info...but keep observing.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first day...watch and listen....second day...play with that info...but keep observing.

I would go with this. Being an apa 6 it will be probably hard to find an "even" game.

However most people should be able to find a spot where they can win.

With little gambling experience this can be tough.

Just play in a comfortable amount and enjoy the competition.

If you lose 2 sets by a large margin adjust the spot a game or two.

If you lose 3 sets in a row by a couple games each maybe adjust by one.

Use that to judge what you need and remember your negotiation skills.

Also alternating the break is your friend.

Good luck!

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cheaper tables are often filled with C-B players. A guy I knew from TAP league that was on my team said he played some money games and won $30-40 at $5 a game table.

He is a skill level under me (I was a 7 then a high 6 in TAP, he was a 5), which is probably same as APA 6. Just make games with people with Cuetec or Meucci cues and a glove and you should be safe, only bad players use those ;):cool:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Play on the $5/$10 action tables but don't bet on other people in the pit.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How to not get robbed?

If a guy wants to flip quarters with you for 100, don't do it. Especially if he offers you 2:1 on the $.

If a guy wants to bet he can jump over the pool table, don't do it.

If anyone wants to shoot a CB across the room and bet he can make it through somebody else's legs, bet at your own risk.

When you hear somebody barking about spot shots, particularly if clad in athletic shorts and slippers, place your wallet in your front pocket and hold it there with your hand as if you are a tourist riding the NYC subway for the first time.

That should cover you from the expo bandits, first timer. If you want to actually bet on pool, have fun and don't wager much more than you would be upset about if you left it in your pants in the wash on laundry day.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm sure you will get some offers on here. Read through their past posts and you should get an idea if they are being honest about their speed.
Jason

Make a thread looking to play some with other AZers around you speed

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
AFAIK, gambling is not condoned except in the action area. These are the tables with working coin-ops, so bring quarters.

Good advice, stick with the $10/20 action tables.

Play on the $5/$10 action tables but don't bet on other people in the pit.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

b

Don`t gamble??

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a guy wants to flip quarters with you for 100, don't do it. Especially if he offers you 2:1 on the $.

If a guy wants to bet he can jump over the pool table, don't do it.

If anyone wants to shoot a CB across the room and bet he can make it through somebody else's legs, bet at your own risk.

When you hear somebody barking about spot shots, particularly if clad in athletic shorts and slippers, place your wallet in your front pocket and hold it there with your hand as if you are a tourist riding the NYC subway for the first time.

That should cover you from the expo bandits, first timer. If you want to actually bet on pool, have fun and don't wager much more than you would be upset about if you left it in your pants in the wash on laundry day.

Good advise!:thumbup:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't wager much more than you would be upset about if you left it in your pants in the wash on laundry day.

yah...also good advice.

anyway, doesn't matter how well you play...it matters how well you match up. And how well you play when you match up.
hqdefault.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the OP, you'll get robbed at any table, even the $5 table. You are at a national event. That's the way it goes. Keep it cheap so the loss won't hurt.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i haent read all the replies
sorry
but if you are an apa 6 i wouldnt gamble with anyone at the sbe
unless you just want to contribute to someones slush money
jmho
icbw