9 or 10 Ball Ring Game Rules

SKUNKBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, I just did a search of this forum and didn't the the answer I was looking for. I would like to know if there are any printer rules for the 9-Ball or 10-Ball Ring Games.

I am pretty sure I know all of the rules but I had a situation the other day that was quite unbelievable. After league, 5 of us got a 9-Ball Ring game going...tiny stakes $1 on the five and $2 on the nine. Apparently four of us knew or at least agreed on every rule that was called, but one guy didn't know jack about ring games. Everytime we called out a rule under certain circumstansces, (BTW, as mentioned, four of us agreed 99.9% of the time on these rules) this guy woud scream and holler as if we were conspiring against him and asked to see the rules written down somewhere.

Here's some examples: Somebody scratched, so it's BIH in the kitchen. He didn't believe that. At the same time, the low ball was in the kitchen so it spots...he didn't believe that. He assumed that any foul was BIH anywhere, when we called him on that, he skwawked, then we told him that the person that shot next could pass the shot back to the fouling player. One more, he played a safety. When we warned him that if he did that again, we'd all club him with his own cue, take all of his money and throw him in the parking lot in his underware. I think you get the picture.

The really sad part about this guy was he kept saying he knew how to play 9-Ball because "he got second at State last year". He knows 9-Ball, just not Ring Game 9-Ball. Needless to say, he quit and left...good riddons.

OK, back to the subject at hand. Is there, does any one know of, a written set of rules by some established group that I could copy and post at the pool room? I could make one up myself, but then I'd get accused of 'making them up myself'.

I Googled it and got a set of rules from Southern Billiards. It was pretty close but they failed to talk about intentional safeties. It was also based on a progressive 'holdem' style betting format...which aint bad but I'd like to post the basics first.

Any help finding a published set of Ring Game rules would be greatly appreciated. (also could have possibilities at our State tournament as a mini tournament...if we had the rules).

L8R...Ken

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the problem isnt the rules its the guy who doesent know them, he also dosent know that in a ring game he should STFU and listen to everyone. I'd not let him play next time.

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
No safeties is a staple of pretty much ANY ring game. The rules are pretty universal and if someone doesn't know them, they either can't play or need to be briefed thoroughly.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SKUNKBOY said:
...he played a safety. When we warned him that if he did that again, we'd all club him with his own cue, take all of his money and throw him in the parking lot in his underware. ...L8R...Ken

SOunds like a fine rule to me.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koopa said:
No safeties is a staple of pretty much ANY ring game. The rules are pretty universal and if someone doesn't know them, they either can't play or need to be briefed thoroughly.

No ball in hand anywhere, either. The problem is that most folks today only know the tournament style rules. It's like trying to explain current 8 ball rules to someone who has only played bar room rules. Sadly, it's another reason I no longer care for 9 ball.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Evidently

You guys do not know that ring game rules for 9 ball differ from 10 ball.
9 ball ring games are played the same way the Texas Holdem rules are for the pros with BIH anywhere on the table for fouls. A miss is BIH.

10 ball ring games are played like you know the rules to be.

Kind of like the difference for rules between a Texas Holdem type tournament vs. A Last Man Standing tournament.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
9 ball ring games are played the same way the Texas Holdem rules are for the pros with BIH anywhere on the table for fouls. A miss is BIH.

Since when?? I've never even seen it played that way all the years I've played. Like any other rules, they seem to vary from region to region. I certainly would never play this way.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:

10 ball ring games are played like you know the rules to be.

Kind of like the difference for rules between a Texas Holdem type tournament vs. A Last Man Standing tournament.

Ummm, evidently us Carolinains don't know sqwat ('cause we's playin' same 9 ball rules as Skunkboy outlined).

BTW, what the heck is Texas Holdem? I know of Texas Express rules... :confused:

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 or 10 ball ring game rules

The "old" rules (before TV Texas Express...ball in hand, etc.) are used when more than 2 players are in the game. Those rules include; all balls made are spotted on all fouls and if the cue ball scratches, the cueball is next shot from "the kitchen" by the next player. That turn can be passed back to the previous player that committed the foul, then he shoots from "the kitchen". These rules work for both 9-ball and 10-ball.

These rules definitely make each game longer (more shots).

The World 10-ball rules even spot the 10 ball made on the break!

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
1 before the 9,2 before the 5.

option instead of bih

no safes(honest effort to hit the ball)

shoot from the kitchen on scratches,if the object ball is in the kitchen it spots.

be ready to shoot on your turn(know who you follow)

sharking is allowed but can be agreed apon by the participants

allways crap rack some1 who just broke and ran

TheGaintKiller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question??? I was playing a ring game with a couple of buddies. Someone broke and miss cued, the cueball never made contact with another ball in the rack (the balls are still racked up).

Now my question is, does the cue ball stay where its is and the person following gets the opition to shoot or have them shoot from where the cueball is? or Do you get to move the cue ball back in the kitchen and get the opition to take it or let them break???