US Open - Earl not allowed to use earplugs

poolscholar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had them on for the first couple games of his match, but then had to remove them. I thought they were allowed in previous years.

Does SVB have to keep hearing aid on?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bummer

He now has an alibi for loosing, the loss of ear plugs sharked him. What were they thinking. I say let him wear them with the agreement some one can duct tape his mouth shut when he starts his ranting poor sportsmanship like behavior.

Other then that I would love to see him win the Open for a 6th time and then retire. I will always think of him as the greatest 9 Ball player.

When I get really bored I attend a small 9 Ball tournament at one of the local dives. I mean this place has it all, lousy poorly kept bar box tables, lots of foul language, most smoke and half are drunk.

Now they have added Karaoke to their list of events. They sing and stumble around the table and the music is very loud and the singing is horrible! Last week I played and wore ear plugs and the darn lousy Karaoke was still to loud.

Any way, good luck to you Earl. I hope you and Shane play it off in the end and you humble him in a hill hill match.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 6.02.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 6.02.20 PM.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,430

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the issue was they were sticking too far out of his ears, but during the match it was brought up about Earl being allowed to wear them, but from what i over heard there are up dated rules somewhere, that Ken Shuman (however you spell it) showed saying they were not allowed. Then after the match the TD was talking about it saying at one point they were allowed but are no longer are.

Now this is stuff i over heard i had great seats for this match i was sitting two seat two left of John Schmidt and Earl still ended up winning, he did take a jab by saying they were protecting their boy, (SVB) i busted out laughing when he said that. Another thing that i got a chuckle from earl was he is wearing 2 inch platform shoes during that match.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
i think the issue was they were sticking too far out of his ears, but during the match it was brought up about Earl being allowed to wear them, but from what i over heard there are up dated rules somewhere, that Ken Shuman (however you spell it) showed saying they were not allowed. Then after the match the TD was talking about it saying at one point they were allowed but are no longer are.

Now this is stuff i over heard i had great seats for this match i was sitting two seat two left of John Schmidt and Earl still ended up winning, he did take a jab by saying they were protecting their boy, (SVB) i busted out laughing when he said that. Another thing that i got a chuckle from earl was he is wearing 2 inch platform shoes during that match.

I believe you.

Just don't want Earl getting a bum rap for this. He could have read what I posted and decided to wear them to help him mentally from being distracted.

most of the 500 people that viewed this post were unaware that the rule reads "OK" and he was following the posted rules. The last minute change is on the "US Open" not Earl the knucklehead that won't follow the rules.

I hope one and all understand the reason I posted that.

Sincerely,
KD

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you.

Just don't want Earl getting a bum rap for this. He could have read what I posted and decided to wear them to help him mentally from being distracted.

most of the 500 people that viewed this post were unaware that the rule reads "OK" and he was following the posted rules. The last minute change is on the "US Open" not Earl the knucklehead that won't follow the rules.

I hope one and all understand the reason I posted that.

Sincerely,
KD

I don't think he will get a bum rap nor should he, i'm interested to know if it was mentioned last night at the players meeting, he seemed like he adjusted fine without them but did complain saying he could hear people snapping their gum, to be fair i heard it too.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I don't think he will get a bum rap nor should he, i'm interested to know if it was mentioned last night at the players meeting, he seemed like he adjusted fine without them but did complain saying he could hear people snapping their gum, to be fair i heard it too.

Half the people do not show for those things. Some were in the 14.1 or some in the pre-tournament. a lot of players never go to the players meeting. some don't arrive until Monday, if you know what I mean?

KD

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl does not need earplugs to keep EXTERNAL voices from screwing with his game. Earl needs INTERNAL earplugs to keep the space aliens in his head from screwing with his game.

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl thrives on negativity, so maybe being forced to remove the ear plugs was one of the reasons he won his match. At one time, he even complained that he can hear the crowd breath. lol

Earl is playing good pool, but he also misses some simple shots. He will need to remove those faults, if he plans on beating players like Shaw or Ko Pin Yi.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl thrives on negativity, so maybe being forced to remove the ear plugs was one of the reasons he won his match. At one time, he even complained that he can hear the crowd breath. lol

Earl is playing good pool, but he also misses some simple shots. He will need to remove those faults, if he plans on beating players like Shaw or Ko Pin Yi.

I cracked up when he said i can hear people breathing !!!!!

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Based on this he was "allowed" to have ear plugs! It is in the rules and the ref got it wrong. Simple mistake!

Read for yourselves

http://www.usopen9ballchampionships.com/players.php

Let's set the record straight.
Here are the official rules:
V. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks; no sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, or jeans
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes; no white or light colored soles; no sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod, Bluetooth devices, hats, caps, or headgear Hearing aids are permitted.
Note: Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the Tournament.

I asked Earl to remove his earplugs and he did.

The rules you are quoting are outdated from several years ago copied from the US Open 9-Ball Facebook page, which hasn't been properly updated. The official rules were printed and handed out to every player at the players' meeting and in their information packet. Furthermore, this rule has been in effect for at least the last three years, ever since the proliferation of Bluetooth earpieces. They are not allowed because we have a shot clock and the players have to be able to hear when I give them a time extension, or a 10-second warning, or a foul.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I can see not allowing ear BUDS if connected to a music source or whatever,but can't see what harm the simple foam ear PLUGS can possibly cause. Tommy D.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a major distinction between Bluetooth and such things vs. earplugs.
Like in golf, are there refs here holding up "quiet please" signs when the shooter
address's and makes the shot? I didn't know till today that all tables are ref'd and under clock.
The reasoning to protect the shooter from not hearing commands from the ref. is a lazy
answer/reason. It is not in the better, interest and condition(s) to the best shot to be made,
...in my opinion.

..unless part of the challenge is to defeat - - - manage the 6th sense, crowd behavior.

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Let's set the record straight.
Here are the official rules:
V. Dress Code
Dress-type shirt (with or without a collar) or a dress-type sweater
Dress slacks; no sweat pants, warm-up pants, jogging pants, cargo pants, or jeans
Dark shoes or dark-colored tennis or walking-type shoes; no white or light colored soles; no sandals, slippers or open-toed shoes
No headphones, earphones, earplugs, iPod, Bluetooth devices, hats, caps, or headgear Hearing aids are permitted.
Note: Any dress code exception to the above requires a medical doctor’s note and must be approved by the Tournament Director prior to the Tournament.

I asked Earl to remove his earplugs and he did.

The rules you are quoting are outdated from several years ago copied from the US Open 9-Ball Facebook page, which hasn't been properly updated. The official rules were printed and handed out to every player at the players' meeting and in their information packet. Furthermore, this rule has been in effect for at least the last three years, ever since the proliferation of Bluetooth earpieces. They are not allowed because we have a shot clock and the players have to be able to hear when I give them a time extension, or a 10-second warning, or a foul.
Anyone besides Earl.... Yes.... Most of the time, Earl shoots the next shot in under 15 seconds.... lol But I do see your point... I would love to see a match with Earl and whoever on a 15 second shot clock....