Different style burnisher

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure a lot of it is psychological but I like a really well burnished tip that is nice and glossy. I haven't been thrilled with the tube type burnishers because the inner conical shape never seemed to burnish the whole tip and I never got that nice glossy look I was after.

So I was in Bordeaux for the 3C world championships and I saw this burnisher at the Kozoom booth:

https://store.kozoom.com/en/en/hanbat-wooden-tip-burnisher.html

I bought one because I play with a Hanbat cue and while I was never one for designer jeans, a branded burnisher was appealing. You cannot tell from the picture, but it is like a cylinder but right down the middle lengthwise, with a square shaped slot cut down the side of the picture you cannot see. It is NOT a curved slot, as the 3rd image in that ad shows. It is a square shape with the 2 sides being something like 1.4 inch.

I got it because of the logo and even got a few extras for friends who also play Hanbat, just because.

But the great thing is that this is the best burnisher I have ever used. All you do is slide it up and down on the side of the tip while slowing rotating the cue and within 20 seconds you have a glossy fully burnished tip. And while a conventional tube type burnisher can sometimes pop off a tip, I do not see how that could happen with this burnisher.

And even better news is that anyone with a modicum of woodworking experience and a few tools can whip one of these up for themselves easily without having to buy one. We have a woodworking shop a our senior center and I may just take a crack at producing some of them, as the ones I gave out have created some demand among the other folks who have seen it. It might even be fun to see how the effectiveness varies with the hardness or softness of the wood used.

It really just operates on the same theory as burnishing your tip on the rail of the table, but is a lot easier, quicker, and more convenient to use. And WAY better than any tube type one I've ever used.

Anyway, I was surprised at both the simplicity and the extreme effectiveness of this and thought I would pass it along to the group.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how does it not mark up the ferrule??

I dunno but it doesn't. I am also thinking about trying one with the curved inner surface like the picture in the kozoom ad. Thay would be even easier to fabricate.

I brought home a few of them and gave them out to some guys and none of them have mentioned any problem with ferrule marking. Is ferrule material harder than typical woods?

I also saw a few of the players in the event using this type of burnisher.