How well does Ken Shuman play?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The reason I ask is because in a lot of the matches he commentates, he often knows the right shot to take and how to move the cue ball for position for the next shot. I have numerous times heard him questioning the pattern/or shot approach that a world-class player is taking. Does he get his knowledge from watching/refereeing so many world class players, or can he actually play as good a game as he talks?

Just curiosity is all.

Maniac

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The reason I ask is because in a lot of the matches he commentates, he often knows the right shot to take and how to move the cue ball for position for the next shot. I have numerous times heard him questioning the pattern/or shot approach that a world-class player is taking. Does he get his knowledge from watching/refereeing so many world class players, or can he actually play as good a game as he talks?

Just curiosity is all.

Maniac

Hundred ball runner. And he's from Massachusetts.

Freddie <~~~ one of the above

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't look like a 100 ball runner in that video but it seems like everybody I beat is a 100 ball runner.

BasementDweller <~~~ No 100 ball runner.

BasementDweller #2 <~~~ always liked the little nuggets down here

#3 <~~~ twss

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He may be a decent player, but you'd never know that by his commentary. He's at the bottom of the list with Jay.
Nobody can successfully predict every time what Efren is looking at, but if you're a player you should be able to watch Appleton or Shane and see they are weighing the options on a tough shot vrs a safe.
Viewers don't need to be told that the shooter is going to pocket a hanging one ball and stop the cue ball there for the two in the opposite pocket. Neither do they need to be told that 9 ball is played in numerical order. The replay on the break shot is another complete waste of time. It doesn't take too many foolish comments for the viewer to draw the conclusion that this commentator probably rides on the back of a garbage truck during the week.

Last edited:

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always liked Ken Shuman's commentary. I also like Jay Helfert and Bobby "Cotton" LeBlanc too.

Pangit

Banned
Hundred ball runner. And he's from Massachusetts.

Freddie <~~~ one of the above

What does being from Massachusetts have to do with pool know how? It's not like being from Kentucky and having a natural born knack for bank shots...or, being from the Philippines and having an inherent understanding of kick shots is it?

Last edited:

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does being from Massachusetts have to do with pool know how? It's not like being from Kentucky and having a natural born knack for bank shots...or, being from the Philippines and having an inherent understanding of kick shots is it?

It's in the water.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He doesn't look like a 100 ball runner in that video but it seems like everybody I beat is a 100 ball runner.

BasementDweller <~~~ No 100 ball runner.

BasementDweller #2 <~~~ always liked the little nuggets down here

#3 <~~~ twss

They don't tell you how many balls they missed before they got to 100.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
They don't tell you how many balls they missed before they got to 100.

Thats a thing? I didnt know misses counted, no wonder I found it so easy to 13 balls even though I dont play straight pool. I suppose next you will tell me I dont get BIH on every shot too??

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's a general thing, people and sports from MA are naturally better than in other places. So any pool player from MA is clearly a good player.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ken can play! He may not run 100 balls anymore, but he knows his way around the table.
I never ran 100 balls in my life but I got a few scalps in my day. :D

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a general thing, people and sports from MA are naturally better than in other places. So any pool player from MA is clearly a good player.
It's also a general thing that people from MA think the entire sports universe center around them. ;)

jsp <~~~ lived in MA for 10 years and married an MA-er

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's also a general thing that people from ma think the entire sports universe center around them. ;)

jsp <~~~ lived in ma for 10 years and married an ma-er

lol.......

Attachments

• red sox.jpg
    red sox.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,381

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wait ... what? LOL!!!

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's also a general thing that people from MA think the entire sports universe center around them. ;)
I don't want to live in a universe where this isn't true.

jsp <~~~ lived in MA for 10 years and married an MA-er

Your computer must have autocorrected "MASS-hole."

Freddie <~~~ Go, Celtics!!!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does being from Massachusetts have to do with pool know how? It's not like being from Kentucky and having a natural born knack for bank shots

Maybe not but they are definitely better at bourbon

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken Shuman Play?

I don't care how good he can play since its very clear he knows how to play!

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't want to live in a universe where this isn't true.

Your computer must have autocorrected "MASS-hole."

Freddie <~~~ Go, Celtics!!!

Spent three summers in New England. Most passionate sports fans (by region) that I've ever been around. And I move A LOT!