20.1 anyone?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Over in the main forum there is a discussion about the 45-ball challenge in which you rack 45 balls in a triangle (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9) and try to break them and run the table.

How about playing 20.1? There are sets of numbered balls that go up to 21 and I used to play where they had the larger triangle.

I think 44.1 would be a little too tough, but if you mastered it you would only need to run 12 racks to beat Willie's record. Probably hard to get a behind-the-rack break shot.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over in the main forum there is a discussion about the 45-ball challenge in which you rack 45 balls in a triangle (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9) and try to break them and run the table.

How about playing 20.1? There are sets of numbered balls that go up to 21 and I used to play where they had the larger triangle.

I think 44.1 would be a little too tough, but if you mastered it you would only need to run 12 racks to beat Willie's record. Probably hard to get a behind-the-rack break shot.

Have you ever played 526.1? The triangle of balls for the break is a real 3 dimensional pyramid!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I think 44.1 would be a little too tough, but if you mastered it you would only need to run 12 racks to beat Willie's record. Probably hard to get a behind-the-rack break shot.

I think the OP in that other thread indicated they rack the 3rd row on the foot string. So that would leave about a foot between the 9th row and the foot rail -- plenty of room for break shots (might keep me from missing so many thin ones back there).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you ever played 526.1? The triangle of balls for the break is a real 3 dimensional pyramid!
Maybe I didn't count the balls right, but the closest I could get was a pyramid with 14 across each side of the base (and the break ball missing from the peak). I counted 559 in the pyramid and goodness they were hard to keep stacked. They came apart pretty well on any break, though, or at least came down. I'd like to see somebody play safe off of that rack.

Or do you mean to remove the 5-wide pyramid from the top to leave 525 balls in the truncated tetrahedral rack?

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Bob: Take a look at this. https://vimeo.com/10648174

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like that idea, that way I could tie Willy's record in one rack, without ever having to set up a break ball ! :grin-square:

(a person would have to very good at making combinations involving 13 balls :eek:)