Faulty aiming or wrong outlook?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
When asked about what it takes to be a consistently good putter, Chi Chi Rodriguez said, "I think good putters see the ball going in. Bad putters see the ball staying out. When I'm positive, I see it going in. When I'm negative, I take that week off."

This applies to pool as well. Sometimes you're on, sometimes your off. And most often being on or off is directly related to our frame of mind, not our aiming techniques. If you seldom imagine the ball going into the pocket, or if you're in the habit of pulling the trigger on shots you don't think you're going to make, you probably spend more time in the off mode than on mode.

A lot of it deals with confidence, plain and simple. If you find yourself in the off mode, go to a vacant table as soon as possible and shoot a dozen or so easy shots, from straight-in to ones that require a little cut, not much. Shoot the types of shots that you should never miss. And don't just fire them in and think all is good now. Pay attention to the ball and the pocket, see it going in before you shoot it. Take your time and treat each shot with respect, going through the pre-shot routine and then staying down to watch the ball drop into the pocket. This is a great way to warm up before a match also. Get yourself in tune with little shots that build confidence.

If, when you return to playing an opponent, pay attention to each shot in the same manner as the warm up. If you still find yourself in the off mode, maybe it's time to follow Chi Chi's lead and take some time off.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post Brian.
What I would like to add is:

Follow Brian's suggestion, but think that each one of these easy shots is the money ball, whether it be 8, 9, 10 or your last ball in One Pocket.

In addition to these easy shots I would recommend that you at least try to play the cue ball/position to an area of the table you select after each shot.

John :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good post Brian.

Follow Brian's suggestion, but think that each one of these easy shots is the money ball, whether it be 8, 9, 10 or your last ball in One Pocket.

In addition to these easy shots I would recommend that you at least try to play the cue ball/position to an area of the table you select after each shot.

my house pro once told me
"if you dont tell the cue ball where to go .....it finds a pocket.....:eek:..."

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good post Brian.

Good point on getting the CB to a designated area. I was only thinking about the common error of taking shots for granted, rushing.