DYKO telescoping metal cue

Bob-O-Rama

Registered
Hi,

I found an early DYKO extendible all metal cue. I bought them more as a joke to be the Barry Weiss of pool night, showing up with the most perplexing means to nudge balls around a table. To be honest, they perform so much better than I expected - but my expectations were low.

The bottom one is extendable, by a telescoping section in the butt portion of the cue. You can see this allows the overall length to vary by about 25%.

DYKO_Extendable_Cue-L.jpg

They are made from anodized aircraft aluminum, and consist of about 20 machined parts. The telescoping section is locked in place with a locking collar, which forms a compression fitting. The abbreviated ferrule is threaded to the shaft.

DYKO_Tip_Detail-L.jpg

The joints are, of course, metal and use a fine pitch thread. They are tight and stay that way during play. When breaking with the cue, I didn't see any slippage of the extension,

DYKO_Joint_Detail-L.jpg

I've found little about them, except that the shafts themselves are filled with some polymer, and seem hermetically sealed. When you tap them, they sound dead, not metallic or "pingy" and are slightly flexible - but to be honest, I did not really force the issue. :)

They silver one, without the extension feature, and a more modern design, is marked DYKO 2000 and bears a Paul Gerni signature printed, I assume, on the label.

I was really taken aback by the feel of them, I was expecting the harsher response of most of the non-wood cue's I've used, or perhaps a very thin aluminum baseball bat?

An interesting evolutionary dead end, I guess.

-- Bob