This a question to all Mechanics that perform Pool Room Recoveries.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
This a question to all Mechanics that perform Pool Room Recoveries:

When you quote a price for recovering a rooms tables, what exactly does that include?

To me that would be simply just this: recover the tables.

If there is more work i.e. rewaxing/ bondo'in seams, leveling, missing hardware and any other repairs, How do you address this in the quote? How much do you charge for the extra work?

I recently did a room there was a bunch of extra work involved. Seams all split and had to be redone, installer before me used HUGE staples and took twice as long to get them all out of the rails and slate backers. I replaced all missing hardware and dressed all 6 pockets on each table with the 2 piece method to not see any relief cuts or staples. My helper and I did a good job on each an every single table, but, it was quite a bit more than we expected. I did not try to change my deal with the room owner, but, I feel like I did not charge enough.

I am also wondering what most people would charge for a 9' recover using Simonis 860 Hr? Single table and 10 or more?

Just would like to see what other peoples opinions and pricing might be. I have never seen this topic brought up in this forum before, thanks to all who may participate.

Trent from Toledo
My book of work:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Here a recovery includes everything that needs to be done ( leveling, reseaming, pulling all staples out etc...)
I just really insist to show the owner what was done as "extra" work.
They don't hire other mechs after they see all that and i don't have to go through it again

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
This a question to all Mechanics that perform Pool Room Recoveries:

When you quote a price for recovering a rooms tables, what exactly does that include?

To me that would be simply just this: recover the tables.

If there is more work i.e. rewaxing/ bondo'in seams, leveling, missing hardware and any other repairs, How do you address this in the quote? How much do you charge for the extra work?

I recently did a room there was a bunch of extra work involved. Seams all split and had to be redone, installer before me used HUGE staples and took twice as long to get them all out of the rails and slate backers. I replaced all missing hardware and dressed all 6 pockets on each table with the 2 piece method to not see any relief cuts or staples. My helper and I did a good job on each an every single table, but, it was quite a bit more than we expected. I did not try to change my deal with the room owner, but, I feel like I did not charge enough.

I am also wondering what most people would charge for a 9' recover using Simonis 860 Hr? Single table and 10 or more?

Just would like to see what other peoples opinions and pricing might be. I have never seen this topic brought up in this forum before, thanks to all who may participate.

Trent from Toledo
My book of work:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/toledopooltables/photos/?tab=albums

When doing a Pool Room, Community Center or any other high traffic Tables for the first time you must either take it on the chin as you did or up your price for initial recover . You have to go into the room knowing you will be pulling slates to relevel & Glue seams. Hardware will also need to be replaced.
In 1991 when I was first starting out. Al Conti who is a legendary Brunswick Mechanic was charging $125 labor per table. That is 27 years ago. Some guys today are only charging $150 to $175 per table. Not much inflation there.
In my opinion, you do pool rooms for the love of the game. You do home tables for the money.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thanks Kid and Pat for such quick responses! I talked to Real King Cobra for over an hour on the phone and feel I have a much better understanding of how and what to charge. I know I got a fair per table price, but, should have charged for all the extras. Live and learn right?? I understand there are guys out there that will work for very cheap prices. I am busy all the time and know what my time is worth. I understand what the profit margins on pool time are and they are usually much better than the room owners would like us all to think. Its a shame that most of them do not want to pay what they should to get it done RIGHT. I had an over all good experience with the room I recovered and learned a lot. The room was Pressure in Chicago, Wahib is the owner and is not the typical room owner, he was a pleasure to deal with and I will be working with him in the future on Surge(formerly Marie's Golden Cue). Anyone else who has experience in this area of mechanics: PLEASE POST YOUR EXPERIENCES AND OPINIONS!

Trent from Toledo