Is Ronnie Getting Better?

DeadMenChalking

Registered
If we could transport "today's" Ronnie back 20 years, and he were to play "1997" Ronnie, who would you bet on? How about "2007" Ronnie? I would bet on "Todays" Ronnie all day long.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
If he was to seriously take up 1pkt those players will have a big tree to climb...

Rob.M

I am not sure why you would think that. One pocket is much more about creativity than execution. Ronnie hasn't put in any serious 3-cushion study, which is a huge advantage for a One Pocket player. I don't see him regularly playing 2 and 3-rail banks..

I mean, yeah... He's a great snooker champion, but it's ENTIRELY a different set of skills.

Short Bus Russ

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not sure why you would think that. One pocket is much more about creativity than execution. Ronnie hasn't put in any serious 3-cushion study, which is a huge advantage for a One Pocket player. I don't see him regularly playing 2 and 3-rail banks..

I mean, yeah... He's a great snooker champion, but it's ENTIRELY a different set of skills.

Short Bus Russ

I think Dennis O. (and a few others) have proven that the skill gap in one pocket between players that shoot straight and players that move well is a lot smaller than we originally thought.

Ronnie might never be a favorite against the top 1pkt players, but I think he'd be able to hold his own once he got some of the basics down.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I think Dennis O. (and a few others) have proven that the skill gap in one pocket between players that shoot straight and players that move well is a lot smaller than we originally thought.

Ronnie might never be a favorite against the top 1pkt players, but I think he'd be able to hold his own once he got some of the basics down.

Dennis Orcollo is only a top player because Efren no longer shoots straight enough to defend himself adequately.

Playing at Orcollo's current level, Efren of old would easily have spotted him a ball, and quite possibly 2. Creativity and thinking counts for THAT much in One Pocket.

Short Bus Russ

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member

Short Bus Russ

-

You know the game better than I do, what I’m thinking is that he would not take much to adapt to the game... he’d be locking the CB up table with a ball in his hole much.
He’s so brilliant that I’d think he could win by his opponent making his winning point or points...

Rob.M

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dennis Orcollo is only a top player because Efren no longer shoots straight enough to defend himself adequately.

Playing at Orcollo's current level, Efren of old would easily have spotted him a ball, and quite possibly 2. Creativity and thinking counts for THAT much in One Pocket.

Short Bus Russ

If Efren gave him two balls, what would the spot be? Based on my observations lately, a two ball spot can be anywhere between 8-6 and 14-10.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I don't think most 20 year olds would take this shot on, let alone make it at the speed Ronnie does.

https://youtu.be/lwFig4h1oR4?t=1h31m

It would have been an extremely aggressive shot had he tried to hold for the black. He played at speed to get the cueball safe in case he missed. Not sure many make the shot but taking it on that way was pretty safe and a fairly common play IMO.

The ball he slammed into the side pocket from a sharp angle with balls all around for his opponent to shoot if he missed, THAT shot was one of a confident genius ! (and the one I thought you'd linked).

Dave