Another Team Cup?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Mosconi Cup has lost much of it's appeal for me and I am dreaming and hoping for a new "World Cup" of some sort.

The best of Europe competing against the best of Asia in 10 Ball using the same format as the Mosconi Cup.

How would Orcollo, Biado, Chang, Big Ko and Wu do against the best from Europe?

Will it ever happen?

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Mosconi Cup has lost much of it's appeal for me and I am dreaming and hoping for a new "World Cup" of some sort.

The best of Europe competing against the best of Asia in 10 Ball using the same format as the Mosconi Cup.

Will it ever happen?

BEHOLD, I have granted you this wish! You now have two more... :p
http://www.matchroomsport.com/portfolio/the-efren-reyes-cup/
Only I'm not sure it's going to be 10-ball. My money would be on 9-ball, but it remains to be seen.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wasn’t there talk of an Efren cup ?

I saw the website.
If it's legit, it's a super idea.

The passion for pool in general has waned in the U.S.
Why not have Europe and Asia compete?
Two regions in the world where pool is on the rise.
It's a no-brainer.

Never mind that Team U.S.A. isn't giving the Europeans major competition anymore.

RELATED NOTE: Just want to comment on Oscar's gaffe at the Mosconi Cup:

He was caught on microphone telling Hatch that he (Hatch) had the "touch of a rapist."
Evidently these words were bad enough that Oscar was asked to put out an apology statement.

Let me say this, since Oscar had the mic, he should have used more discretion, but my problem,
are the hypocrites on the sidelines claiming that Oscar should be "banned for life" for making this statement.

Yes, I'm surprised that Oscar didn't think before he spoke, but damn, we can't say anything anymore in this politically-correct world.
If a player can't talk to his teammate on the sidelines and try to motivate him/her (and yes, Oscar's statement had underpinnings of motivation) then what's the use of having sport anymore? Should we have to think of every damn word we say in the heat of competition? There's a fine line, yes, but every F*****N thing is scrutinized by the hypocrites who like to point fingers as if their sh** don't stink.

Let's just all be robots and emotionless sportspeople so we don't offend anyone anymore.
Imagine that, get to the table, bunt balls around like a machine, when you miss, don't say a word and don't get upset.
Just walk back to your chair with nary a smile and wait your turn again.
This is what our sport is becoming.
Boring as F*#%.

Sick of it all.

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Will it ever happen?

IMHO, That team would be slight favorite v Europe. Though I suspect Europe may just nick the 1st edition since they would hit the ground running and already have well oiled , organised machine with excellent team chemistry and confidence. This Asian team know each other well but have not played together as team so that would be their main weakness. :)

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, would I like to see Efren actually on the Asia team for that cup... at the very least for its first edition. What would be more becoming than that? :cool: