HUGE Action match Day 3 Gabe Owen vs Danny Smith

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Respectfully disagree with your opinion on an earlier Gabe vs Danny. However, time will tell about Orcullo or Pagulayan I think/hope because Danny has earned the chance/right to match up with them. They would be favored to win I think but doubtful they would offer a ball or two due to Danny not being at their level of expertise. That would assure them a match up quickly. And I believe there would be more than one stakehorse available Danny! Obviously I am a big fan of Danny but also Dennis and Alex.

I will say this, no one is giving him 8-7! :rolleyes:
Now, 9-8 might be possible. Begin to see the difference?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The math is a rule of thumb....conditions can change it.
8-7 is a weak spot on a run-out table.

Conventional wisdom said the break is worth a ball and a half....
...but if the table favors one particular pocket...it's worth a lot more.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The math is a rule of thumb....conditions can change it.
8-7 is a weak spot on a run-out table.

Conventional wisdom said the break is worth a ball and a half....
...but if the table favors one particular pocket...it's worth a lot more.

Ronnie used to tell me the break was worth four balls to him! That's how he played good players even, with the break and shooting one handed...and won!
My personal opinion is that the break is worth two balls if you break good and very little if you don't.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

But-but-but-but, JAYYYYYYY!!

That's only a 1/4 ball difference, according to a certain highly knowledgeable One Pocket player on here.. :rolleyes:

Short Bus Russ

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ronnie used to tell me the break was worth four balls to him! That's how he played good players even, with the break and shooting one handed...and won!
My personal opinion is that the break is worth two balls if you break good and very little if you don't.

Little one-hole story....from the Rack

Abby Sherman was not a good player, but as sharp as anybody I've ever met.
He was getting 8-7 on the 5x10 snooker table....only when the other guy broke.
...the table roll favored the pocket closest to the counter.
They were betting a lot of money...and broke dead even...the breaker won every game.

So a friend of mine wandered into the Rack early next morning...a billiard mechanic was
leveling the table...my buddy thought about it...and bet on Sherman when the action
started again that afternoon...he won a few thou...'cause when neither pocket
favored the breaker, the weight of the 8-7 showed up.

I've seen some sharp cookies gambling...they could've ran General Motors if they
wanted to work nine to five.

Last edited:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ANYBODY that could go to New Orleans and give Danny 8-7 would need a armored car to carry all the money they could win.

Danny has a ton of support and money behind him in the Big Easy.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But-but-but-but, JAYYYYYYY!!

That's only a 1/4 ball difference, according to a certain highly knowledgeable One Pocket player on here.. :rolleyes:

Short Bus Russ

I guess I'd call the author of "Winning One Pocket" sort of knowledgeable, lol.

There are thousands of players out there, of all skill levels, playing 1pocket against thousands of other 1pocket players who also vary in their skill level. They all have different negotiating skills. And they are all playing on different kinds of equipment.

In some instances the spot will matter a lot and in other cases... not at all. If you don't know that, you know little about pool.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the explanation of the different handicaps as I thoroughly enjoy matching up n playing one pocket. However I think it's unfortunate that this thread had anything posted at all besides the mere awesomeness of this match. It was the longest match I've ever seen or heard of. I honestly believed Danny would win the longer it went, even w 12 hour ssssions, because Danny is a freak of nature n loves to play marathon matches. I also love the fact that this match included Gabe Owen who is a former us open champ n to me fell off, so it's great to see him back in action and I truly hope he gets his high gear back!!! Thanks to all involved in putting this match together and please someone get big truck to put this match online n available to rent because I would loveeeeee to watch it beginning to end!!!

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I guess I'd call the author of "Winning One Pocket" sort of knowledgeable, lol.

There are thousands of players out there, of all skill levels, playing 1pocket against thousands of other 1pocket players who also vary in their skill level. They all have different negotiating skills. And they are all playing on different kinds of equipment.

In some instances the spot will matter a lot and in other cases... not at all. If you don't know that, you know little about pool.

Lou Figueroa

This is about your "interpretation" of what he said. His explanation was aimed at relative beginners of the game, which, by your stance on this thread, seems appropriate.

No offense, but I watched a decent portion of your match with Barton... Even though it was somewhat obvious you laid down slightly on him, your quality of play simply does not support the idea of you lecturing to anybody about the strength of certain spots. In the past, I've spotted run out 9 Ball players up to 9-6 and did just fine, when I was a younger man, and actually had time to play. I played John Morra the first round of the One Pocket the year he won the Banks event. And he was never given the chance to make a bank on me in the match, so I move just fine.

Short Bus Russ

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is about your "interpretation" of what he said. His explanation was aimed at relative beginners of the game, which, by your stance on this thread, seems appropriate.

No offense, but I watched a decent portion of your match with Barton... Even though it was somewhat obvious you laid down slightly on him, your quality of play simply does not support the idea of you lecturing to anybody about the strength of certain spots. In the past, I've spotted run out 9 Ball players up to 9-6 and did just fine, when I was a younger man, and actually had time to play. I played John Morra the first round of the One Pocket the year he won the Banks event. And he was never given the chance to make a bank on me in the match, so I move just fine.

Short Bus Russ

I quoted the pertinent passage from “Winning One Pocket” which included a valuation of a 1.4% difference. Nothing to “interpret” there. Neither is there much need to interpret the fact that the value of a spot changes depending who is playing. Pretty basic stuff.

I’m not sure what my match with JB or your match with anyone has to do with this. Pretty silly stuff there.

Lou Figueroa

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your quality of play simply does not support the idea of you lecturing to anybody about the strength of certain spots.
Short Bus Russ

Not quite sure how one's skill level imparts the golden knowledge about discussing the differences in weight.

I also watched the JB/LF match, and certainly Lou is better than I am.

This doesn't necessarily make him more qualified to discuss 9-8 vs 8-7 than me.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not quite sure how one's skill level imparts the golden knowledge about discussing the differences in weight.

I also watched the JB/LF match, and certainly Lou is better than I am.

This doesn't necessarily make him more qualified to discuss 9-8 vs 8-7 than me.

I would agree.

And that's why I asked what my match with JB had to do with this discussion.

Lou Figueroa

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny and Gabe's match was remarkable in every way. They and all who contributed are much appreciated by those of us who enjoy the game of one pocket. However, it is important to make reasonable comments with hope and anticipation for future contests. Handicaps are worthy of mentioning when it seems appropriate and agreeable by the players involved. Mentioning handicaps has anyone wanting to play for a sizable purse offered a handicap to Danny to lure him into a game?

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm curious as to how long they will continue if nobody gets 7 ahead. Also anyone actually know of any similar big money matches(head sets) that went this long or longer? At 12 hours a day they've played well over 60 hours lol I'm sure they played more than 12 in at least one session. So yea question one when will it end if no one wins it n question two has there ever been any matches of this magnitude to last this long if not longer?

Why wouldn't they finish the job ....??? Whoever finishes the job gets paid ! If u wanna get paid then get up , go to work and finish your JOB !!! Whoever finishes job first gets paid 10,000.00 !!!! Wish I made 10 thousand a week ! Gotta go now boss is hollering at me to get back to work folks !!!!

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
Lay that Floor! Lay that Floor!

Why wouldn't they finish the job ....??? Whoever finishes the job gets paid ! If u wanna get paid then get up , go to work and finish your JOB !!! Whoever finishes job first gets paid 10,000.00 !!!! Wish I made 10 thousand a week ! Gotta go now boss is hollering at me to get back to work folks !!!!

You tell 'em Tony. Ain't no free lunches boy! LOL.......:cool: