American straight pool championship

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The American straight pool championship is currently going on with group round robin matches. There's a great field of 48 players with world class talent and some classic American straight pool legends. Free stream on fb search diamond billiards Richmond va.

Basically making the thread to hopefully get some updates especially on my hometown hero Bob Maidhoff!!!

Also I heard last night they stopped matches in the middle of play to let the league guys play their matches(apa,bca,etc) but that sounds so proposterous I can't believe it actually happened so anyone that was there please chime in on that. Either way I'll hear it from Bob but still that was the rumor last night n I figured it was misinformation.

Anyway great event and thanks to all the promoters for putting on this great event year after year and thanks for the free stream!!!

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's players list on americanstraightpool.com but no bracket yet cuz it's round robin stage. I've seen the round robin group brackets on fb

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also I heard last night they stopped matches in the middle of play to let the league guys play their matches(apa,bca,etc) but that sounds so proposterous I can't believe it actually happened so anyone that was there please chime in on that.

I'm afraid it's true and they did the same thing last year. Don't know about before that. The tourney is scheduled before 6:00PM on Tuesday through Thursday. They go late on Friday when there are no leagues and they finish Saturday afternoon.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm afraid it's true and they did the same thing last year. Don't know about before that. The tourney is scheduled before 6:00PM on Tuesday through Thursday. They go late on Friday when there are no leagues and they finish Saturday afternoon.

Truly mindboggling, and sad.:eek:

OLD NO 9

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
latest brackets

Attachments

• straight poo.jpg
    straight poo.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 778

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Classy. The talent in those round robins blows away the crap that was just held in the Dragon's World Championship.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classy. The talent in those round robins blows away the crap that was just held in the Dragon's World Championship.

You are right- It totally annihilates that bag of crap!

and what a beautiful stream

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I'm starting to think it may be worth retiring the title of 'world champion' altogether. It's a hyperbolic title and seems to cause more issues than anything.

This event has the strongest, most international 14.1 field I've seen in my short 13 years as a pool junkie. And despite not having the 'World Title' association, I'm betting if this trend continues it will become the most coveted 14.1 title soon.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Truly mindboggling, and sad.:eek:

I don't have a problem with it. The venue is really nice and the hosting pool room doesn't have to give up their (presumably) lucrative evening leagues in order to host the tournament. I haven't heard any of the participants complaining about the scheduling.

What's wrong with that?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... This event has the strongest, most international 14.1 field I've seen in my short 13 years as a pool junkie. And despite not having the 'World Title' association, I'm betting if this trend continues it will become the most coveted 14.1 title soon.

Last year's field for this event was just as strong and with just as many foreigners.

This year's field lost several excellent players from abroad who were on the original player list -- Babica, Biado, Dudanets, Oikonomopoulos.

But Corteza wasn't here last year. He's going for the slam of sorts for 14.1 in the USA in 2017 -- US Open, World 14.1, and American 14.1.

[About 3 hours ago he ran 100 & out off Alcaide's opening break in their group match.]

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Joe, an updated chart would be greatly appreciated.
...I know Alex won his third match...

I took a look. Most surprising to this point is Immonen stands at 0-3 after losses to Alcaide, Barouty, and Hsu. Feijen is in trouble also, at 1-2 after losing to Grabe and Juszczyszyn. Seven are still undefeated.