Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page World 14.1 Cumulative Player List
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-30-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGene View Post
Very much still a work in progress. I've gotten wonderful suggestions from folks like Bob Jewett and Steve "the Commish" Kurtz. John Leyman was kind enough to send me his files from 2010-2015. I'm still trying to accumulate a Charles Ursitti style archive for the recent iteration of the World 14.1 Championship, 2006-Present, resurrected by Dragon Promotions. Please open the attached file and supply any missing info. There are many gaps in the records, even for years as late as 2014.Attachment 432666
Hi, Gene. I have just taken a look at the file you attached in the prior post, and I have these initial comments:

Format -- For improved readability (particularly as the table gets larger and larger over time), I'd recommend:
  • - Use just one column per year rather than two, with the year as the column heading (in larger and bold type);
  • - If a player was not entered for that year, leave the cell blank for him in that column. If he entered the event but was knocked out in the group stage, enter a "G" or just a check mark or other indicator. If he was knocked out in the single-elimination stage, enter his finish position; and
  • - For the finish positions, use shorter terms: 1, 2, 3/4, 5/8, 9/16, and 17/24.

With a couple of exceptions, the only players shown in the table are those who competed in 2015. Will the table eventually include everyone who has played in any of the events? The exceptions are (1) neither Luc Salvas nor Bernie Pettipiece played in the 2015 event but both are listed as doing so and (2) Frank Scharbach and Ivica Putnik did play in 2015 but are not listed (both were eliminated in the group stage).

Typo -- Orcollo's finish in 2015 is given as "5th-16th," but should be "9th-16th" (or "9/16" if you take my recommendation.

The order of finish for those players in the money each year is in the AzB database:

Last edited by AtLarge; 08-31-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Old
  (#17)
Will Maynard
AzB Bronze Member
Will Maynard is on a distinguished road

07-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Hi, Gene. I have just taken a look at the file you attached in the prior post, and I have these initial comments:

Format -- For improved readability (particularly as the table gets larger and larger over time), I'd recommend:
  • - Use just one column per year rather than two, with the year as the column heading (in larger and bold type);
  • - If a player was not entered for that year, leave the cell blank for him in that column. If he entered the event but was knocked out in the group stage, enter a "G" or just a check mark or other indicator. If he was knocked out in the single-elimination stage, enter his finish position; and
  • - For the finish positions, use shorter terms: 1, 2, 3/4, 5/8, 9/16, and 17/24.

With a couple of exceptions, the only players shown in the table are those who competed in 2015. Will the table eventually include everyone who has played in any of the events? The exceptions are (1) neither Luc Salvas nor Bernie Pettipiece played in the 2015 event but both are listed as doing so and (2) Frank Scharbach and Ivica Putnik did play in 2015 but are not listed (both were eliminated in the group stage).

Typo -- Orcollo's finish in 2015 is given as "5th-16th," but should be "9th-16th" (or "9/16" if you take my recommendation.

The order of finish for those players in the money each year is in the AzB database:
Do your references to azbilliards results show just final standings or individual match scores?

Old
  (#18)
Will Maynard
AzB Bronze Member

07-22-2017, 12:40 PM

BayGene,
Are you compiling just player lists and finishing position or are you collecting individual match results as well?

Old
  (#19)
Will Maynard
AzB Bronze Member

07-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I also played the last year that it was at Comet (which closed a few weeks later). Herring and Sossei were in my group.

Have you checked the billiard mags?

How about pages like http://www.worldstraightpool.com/201...RobinFinal.pdf ?

The earliest result I could find on that site through archive.org is http://web.archive.org/web/201208030...RoundRobin.pdf which is actually mislabeled since it is the elimination chart.

Here is something from #72 apparently: http://worldstraightpool.com/brackets5.html

Yet another lump -- (partial?) players list from 2013: http://web.archive.org/web/201312082...m/players.html
and here are the bracket results from 2013: http://worldstraightpool.com/2013_Files/Brackets.pdf

It might help to list the dates and locations for each year.

Edit... Here is another lump: http://www.worldstraightpool.com/players.html

Hmmm..... Maybe you could just ask Charlie's webmaster to send you all the files on the site. Some of them are probably not currently visibly linked like the ones in http://worldstraightpool.com/2013_Files

Edit again... Here are the files for 2014: http://worldstraightpool.com/2014_Files
This is a great post, Bob. Thanks for all the research.

Old
  (#20)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Maynard View Post
Do your references to azbilliards results show just final standings or individual match scores?
That AzBilliards database, to which I posted a link for each year, just shows the finishing positions and related prize money, not the match scores.

Old
  (#21)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member

07-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Maynard View Post
That AzBilliards database, to which I posted a link for each year*, just shows the finishing positions and related prize money, not the match scores.

*Results for 2016 still have not been posted in the database. From what was posted in threads after the event, here are the 2016 results:

1 -- Mika Immonen, $10,000

2 -- Earl Strickland, $4,000

3 -- Lo Li Wen, $2,500
3 -- Jayson Shaw, $2,500

5 -- Thorsten Hohmann, $1,350
5 -- Ralph Eckert, $1,350
5 -- Darren Appleton, $1,350
5 -- John Schmidt, $1,350

9 -- Frank Scharbach, $900
9 -- Danny Harriman, $900
9 -- Johnny Archer, $900
9 -- Zion Zvi, $900
9 -- Jorge Rodriguez, $900
9 -- Stephan Cohen, $900
9 -- Dennis Orcollo, $900
9 -- Tony Robles, $900

17 -- Shane Van Boening, $300
17 -- Jonathan Smith, $300
17 -- Sean Morgan, $300
17 -- Danny Barouty, $300
17 -- Michael Yednak, $300
17 -- Ron Dobosenski, $300
17 -- Holden Chin, $300
17 -- Bobby Hunter, $300

Total purse -- $34,000

[Note -- Excludes any high-run prize(s).]

Old
  (#22)
Will Maynard
AzB Bronze Member

07-23-2017, 10:32 AM

Thank you AtLarge.

Danny H.
Old
  (#23)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

Danny H. - 08-28-2017, 05:39 PM

I played in 2016. Ya maybe a different cut and paste format or it seems the politicly correct get elusively highlighted
Edit: OK I see the 2016 results - my bad.

Last edited by Danny Harriman; 08-28-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Quality vs quantity
Old
  (#24)
Danny Harriman
AzB Silver Member
Danny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Harriman has a reputation beyond repute

Quality vs quantity - 08-28-2017, 05:54 PM

Does anyone else think it might be a good thought to shrink the field of players and add ref's.? Not knocking the tournament hear just a suggestion. I may be wrong, plus its better than no world straight pool event at all. Thanks to dragon promotions for helping keep 14.1 world class competition alive.

Old
  (#25)
koreandragon
Pro Player

koreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond reputekoreandragon has a reputation beyond repute

10-04-2017, 05:34 AM

You're welcome! Good luck!

Old
  (#26)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-04-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Does anyone else think it might be a good thought to shrink the field of players and add ref's.? ...
If the field of players is reduced, you have to find more sponsorship to make up the prize fund. Referees -- that requires either money or a fair amount of effort to recruit volunteers. In the old days, there was a referee and a scorekeeper at each table.

In looking over the fields of this and the American Championship (about to start), it's not clear how far you could cut it down. I see about 16 players listed who could win without a big surprise. I can imagine two groups of 8 going down to an 8-player single elimination chart. That would be 63 matches over six days. Alternatively, four groups of four could finish in three and a half days on four tables and 31 matches.

In the very old days, the tournaments were full round robins with a total of maybe 8 players who were either seeded or had won qualifiers.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#27)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

10-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Harriman View Post
Does anyone else think it might be a good thought to shrink the field of players and add ref's.?
I think having referees is a first step towards making tournaments run more efficiently. but even if local leagues can't do it, I doubt even the bigger tournaments will follow suit. Hell, if it was available, I would love to ref this or any other tournament.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: