Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page What runs would you expect under these conditions?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
What runs would you expect under these conditions?
Old
  (#1)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

What runs would you expect under these conditions? - 10-11-2017, 08:03 PM

I got a 9' Brunswick Gold Crown table about 9 months ago. It's one of the toughest tables I've ever played on, and it's all I've been playing on. It's in a humid basement. The balls are always hard to open up. The corner pockets are 4.25", and the sides are 5". I think the pocket cut and hard facings are also an issue with lots of rattles. The slate has a few significant wobbles that I have to keep in mind on slow shots or a shot to center pocket will miss.

I just don't know if I'm expecting too much from myself under these conditions. My high run before I got this table was around 60. I haven't come close to that in all these months even though I feel like I've become a better player and shooter practicing on this table. Maybe 40 is my high run on this table so far. I'm working on a recording setup so I can share the occasional run, but I doubt anyone wants to see a 40-ball run.

Anyway, I'm curious what percentage lower you would expect your runs to be under these conditions compared with a standard table. Whatever your high runs are, what do you think they'd be under these conditions?

Name:  IMG_20170112_191801207.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20170112_191903951_HDR.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  35.8 KB

Last edited by bluepepper; 10-11-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
Anyway, I'm curious what percentage lower you would expect your runs to be under these conditions compared with a standard table. Whatever your high runs are, what do you think they'd be under these conditions?
My main practice for straight pool was the same as the high run challenge format: set up a break shot, run until a miss, record the score. I did that in sets of 10 tries. You could do something similar and then find a normal table to try it on. To get a meaningful result, you would need something like 1000 balls on each table.

Roughly, I'd say that going from what you have now to ideal conditions for a run -- 5-inch non-rejecting pockets, dry and clean equipment -- you could see a 2:1 increase.

This depends on why your runs end. If you keep scratching on the break, smaller pockets might help you, as a perverse example. If it is mostly from missing shots, the larger pockets will be a large advantage. And if it is from getting stuck to the rack on breaks, it's a wash.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

10-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
My main practice for straight pool was the same as the high run challenge format: set up a break shot, run until a miss, record the score. I did that in sets of 10 tries. You could do something similar and then find a normal table to try it on. To get a meaningful result, you would need something like 1000 balls on each table.

Roughly, I'd say that going from what you have now to ideal conditions for a run -- 5-inch non-rejecting pockets, dry and clean equipment -- you could see a 2:1 increase.

This depends on why your runs end. If you keep scratching on the break, smaller pockets might help you, as a perverse example. If it is mostly from missing shots, the larger pockets will be a large advantage. And if it is from getting stuck to the rack on breaks, it's a wash.
Interesting, Bob. That's an interesting experiment. And I'd say that the majority of my run enders are missing shots. I was watching Alex Pagulayan's 280 plus run last night that Michael Yednak was kind enough to post on Facebook. There were several shots that just wouldn't have gone down on my table, and there was one in the first or second rack that would have stopped his run. That makes me feel a little better.

Old
  (#4)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Bob, I use Aramith Ball Cleaner fluid to polish my set. It doesn't seem to help with opening up the balls on the break, and I'm wondering if it would be cheating to use some additive to make the balls less sticky just to bring the conditions up to normal. If it's a reasonable thing to do, what would you suggest?

Old
  (#5)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Bob, I use Aramith Ball Cleaner fluid to polish my set. It doesn't seem to help with opening up the balls on the break, and I'm wondering if it would be cheating to use some additive to make the balls less sticky just to bring the conditions up to normal. If it's a reasonable thing to do, what would you suggest?
I think getting the balls to come apart has little to do with how sticky they are. You need a tight rack. You might consider "training" the table or using donuts the way Stan Shuffett does.

More importantly, have break shots that are 45 degrees or more cut like Willie and Irv.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Here's a suggestion. Just try it...I think you will love it.
Go to Walmart and go into the fishing tackle department.
Buy a spray can of some stuff called "Real Magic".....it's used to clean and lubricate fishing reels. It won't smell up the balls either with any petroleum scent. It isn't like WD-40 stuff, not oily at all.
Clean the balls with that and you will flip out.
I've used it for a long time.
Regards,
Keep on truckin'

Old
  (#7)
pmata814
AzB Silver Member
pmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond reputepmata814 has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
... I'm working on a recording setup so I can share the occasional run, but I doubt anyone wants to see a 40-ball run.

Attachment 472661

Attachment 472662

Actually, i'd be very interested in seeing a 40 ball run from a non-pro pool player. My high run is 9 so....yea. I hope u get a chance to upload it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#8)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmata814 View Post
Actually, i'd be very interested in seeing a 40 ball run from a non-pro pool player. My high run is 9 so....yea. I hope u get a chance to upload it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likewise, Love me some straight pool.

Old
  (#9)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I think humidity is your biggest enemy here...buy a dehumidifier.
BTW, those pockets aren't 4.25....two balls are 4.5...those balls pretty well fit.
RKC could tell you about the pocket cut...very important.

I personally don't like putting any cleaner or polisher on the balls...
...been using a ball cleaner for years with zero wax or anythhing.

that humidity also loosens the cloth...which makes the pack breaking more difficult.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#10)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-13-2017, 06:56 PM

Cool! Thanks for the encouragement, people. I hope to share some runs soon.

Low500, on my way home tonight I stopped at WalMart to get the Real Magic. I'll give it a try. You have to wonder why they didn't spell it Reel Magic, since it's for fishing reels. I assume they were threatened with a law suit from another company.

Bob, I actually get pretty tight racks with the Delta 13 rack. I'll try to make sure they're even tighter. It's fairly new Simonis 860HR cloth, but there are probably dents at the rack area now.

Old
  (#11)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I think humidity is your biggest enemy here...buy a dehumidifier.
BTW, those pockets aren't 4.25....two balls are 4.5...those balls pretty well fit.
RKC could tell you about the pocket cut...very important.

I personally don't like putting any cleaner or polisher on the balls...
...been using a ball cleaner for years with zero wax or anythhing.

that humidity also loosens the cloth...which makes the pack breaking more difficult.
I can assure you that I measured the opening at the tips, and they're 4.25". I'll post a pic with a measuring tape. One thing's for sure---my table isn't as fast as it could be, so maybe the cloth is a little loose. The rails are also a bit less springy than I think they should be, but that's not a big issue.

Old
  (#12)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I can assure you that I measured the opening at the tips, and they're 4.25". I'll post a pic with a measuring tape. One thing's for sure---my table isn't as fast as it could be, so maybe the cloth is a little loose. The rails are also a bit less springy than I think they should be, but that's not a big issue.
The balls don't lie...they are 2.25 inches....two of them are 4.5 inches...
...they are pretty much hanging...and the 10-ball is not touching the point on the right.
....two balls are 4.5 inches unless they aren't regulation.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#13)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
The balls don't lie...they are 2.25 inches....two of them are 4.5 inches...
...they are pretty much hanging...and the 10-ball is not touching the point on the right.
....two balls are 4.5 inches unless they aren't regulation.
If you watch closely you can see they are not fully inside of pocket points. They should be closer to pocket so one can determine pocket size. I believe 4'25 is close.

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
Do it like Efren: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqhJixAmWY One cool rack after opponent safety..
8-ball trickshots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Fu...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#14)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-13-2017, 09:50 PM

Here are new photos. You'll see that they're maybe even smaller than 4.25" depending upon where you measure.

Name:  IMG_20171014_243347639_HDR[1].jpg
Views: 91
Size:  207.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20171014_243012400_HDR.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  196.2 KB

Old
  (#15)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

10-13-2017, 09:52 PM

That's a fine table for one pocket.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: