Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page My first video share (100 balls w/12 misses)

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
My first video share (100 balls w/12 misses)
Old
  (#1)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

My first video share (100 balls w/12 misses) - 10-16-2017, 10:21 PM

Hey everyone. I just started recording my straight pool practice tonight. I never recorded myself playing straight pool. Rather than the usual way of practicing straight pool, I don't like stopping to re-rack after missing a shot. Instead, I like to throw the missed ball in a pocket, or take a scratch in the kitchen and continue running balls according to plan. So I will be recording 100-ball stretches and posting them on YouTube with the misses included. I'll be keeping track of the racks and misses on the score counter. Tonight, my best effort was 100 balls with 12 misses and a high run of 27. I posted it on YouTube if anyone cares to watch. When I beat that effort I'll post another video.

Feel free to comment here or on YouTube if you see I'm doing something right or wrong. My goal is always to improve and to eventually be able to run 100. As I explained in this thread:http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=461549
my table is pretty tough for straight pool with 4.25" pockets and wobbly slate, so I don't know if I'll ever get to 100 on this table, but it's still a goal to better my position play and patterns and reduce the number of missed shots.

Here's the YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/rj2gqfLNKJo

Last edited by bluepepper; 10-17-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Replaced bad link

Old
  (#2)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2017, 06:41 AM

This video contains content from UMG_MK. It is not available in your country.

Old
  (#3)
Snooker Theory
AzB Silver Member
Snooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond reputeSnooker Theory has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2017, 06:46 AM

Old
  (#4)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member
bluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond reputebluepepper has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2017, 07:23 AM

Sorry about that. I was listening to some good music while practicing. That must be a legal issue with YouTube. I'll fix it today and post back here when it's ready.

Old
  (#5)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-17-2017, 03:31 PM

I finally got the problem fixed. I had to mute the audio in order to upload the video to YouTube.

I changed the link in the original post and here it is as well.

Old
  (#6)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
I finally got the problem fixed. I had to mute the audio in order to upload the video to YouTube.

I changed the link in the original post and here it is as well.

Just watched the first rack.

I think you have a lot of the pieces but you *really* need to work on your shot selection. Try watching Thorsten Hohmann running 152 on youtube.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#7)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-17-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Just watched the first rack.

I think you have a lot of the pieces but you *really* need to work on your shot selection. Try watching Thorsten Hohmann running 152 on youtube.

Lou Figueroa
I hear ya', Lou! I think I have the same priorities in mind as the great players like eliminating problems first, always thinking insurance, and playing for zones that leave more than one option. But my position play and shooting skills may not be up to the task to follow through on a precise Thorstenesque plan.

Example: At 2:51 it looks like I'm trying to bump the 9-ball off of the 8-ball, but I was actually trying to bump the 13.

Last edited by bluepepper; 10-17-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Old
  (#8)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Your game have good start.
If I were you I would try get rid of that wobbling bridge hand.
Bridge hand should be like a stone. Immobile. Just shoot drill or 14.1 but use most of your focus to keep bridge solid. choose bridge height carefully before shot. Everything else should be secondary couple weeks and **POOF** new Solid Bridge!
That should provide better cueball control too...

Maybe shooting balls a tad too hard when not really needed.
Patterns need polishing but they are not far from good!

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
Do it like Efren: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqhJixAmWY One cool rack after opponent safety..
8-ball trickshots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Fu...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#9)
Dan White
Banned
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2017, 07:42 PM

My 2 cents:

Your strength is clearly shot making. The small pockets are not your barrier to 100 balls, IMO. I'd say your biggest problem, even above shot selection, is cue ball control. Not that it is really bad, it's just not up to 100 ball run calibre. Some for instances:

At 4:35 your first key ball. On this shot, you should end up much closer to the break ball, at least to the side pocket distance or closer. You are so far away it made your likelihood of a miss greater. Is that 760 or 860 Simonis? Seems pretty fast. Oh, and are you the guy complaining about the balls not opening up? Seems OK to me. Are you using that goofy wax that goofy guy recommended? Set this shot up and hit it enough times so you know how to put the cue ball closer to the break ball.

At 20:58 on the 10 ball. Look where your cue ball ends up, right next to the 5 ball. Did you REALLY want it there? If so you are risking getting snookered by the 5. More likely, you didn't pay that much attention to where you wanted the cue ball to go. You just knew you wanted the 3 next. The point is, you have to decide exactly where you want the cue ball and pay attention to executing the shot in order to make that happen. You seem a little casual. Part of learning to play good position is knowing what is required of you. You must be able to bump that 13 you mentioned, although admittedly you had to punch the shot, making it more tricky, but still. On that 10 ball shot, all you needed to do was slow roll it and let the cue ball move ahead 6 inches for an angle that allows you to move the cue ball when shooting the 3.

You look a little lost when you get down to 5 balls, like, "OK what do I do now?". There's an idea you might consider if you don't know it. When you are running the balls and you have the major clusters already open, stop and think about which last 5 balls you want on the table. Pick a sequence that gives you a stop-stop sequence or something similar. Then, just shoot off all the balls that don't belong! When this method works it is like magic because the last 5 are suddenly easy, not hard.

Only watched up to 23 minutes, but I think I got the gist of your play. Nice shooting, a bit loose on the position.

Old
  (#10)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolmanis View Post
Your game have good start.
If I were you I would try get rid of that wobbling bridge hand.
Bridge hand should be like a stone. Immobile. Just shoot drill or 14.1 but use most of your focus to keep bridge solid. choose bridge height carefully before shot. Everything else should be secondary couple weeks and **POOF** new Solid Bridge!
That should provide better cueball control too...

Maybe shooting balls a tad too hard when not really needed.
Patterns need polishing but they are not far from good!
Thanks, Poolmanis! I've been concerned about my wobbly bridge hand for a while. I'll take your advice and really work on it until it becomes naturally solid.

And that's also good advice to choose bridge height earlier. I've been finding lately that one of the most important things for success for me is to do all of the work standing up behind the shot, then just getting carefully down into position and not doing any thinking from there, just trusting my stroke and setup. Bridge height and stability is all part of that routine, so I know I've been sloppy about it.

And yes, I have been shooting too hard. I think this table has trained me to do that, because it's a bit slow and balls don't open up easily. But, I agree that I'm overdoing it. I'll try to soften things.

By the way, when I first watched this video I was really surprised how long my bridge has gotten on most shots. I don't know how I got there, unless the need to shoot harder gradually made me want to take a longer and longer stroke. Lots to work on.

Old
  (#11)
bluepepper
AzB Silver Member

10-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
My 2 cents:

Your strength is clearly shot making. The small pockets are not your barrier to 100 balls, IMO. I'd say your biggest problem, even above shot selection, is cue ball control. Not that it is really bad, it's just not up to 100 ball run calibre. Some for instances:

At 4:35 your first key ball. On this shot, you should end up much closer to the break ball, at least to the side pocket distance or closer. You are so far away it made your likelihood of a miss greater. Is that 760 or 860 Simonis? Seems pretty fast. Oh, and are you the guy complaining about the balls not opening up? Seems OK to me. Are you using that goofy wax that goofy guy recommended? Set this shot up and hit it enough times so you know how to put the cue ball closer to the break ball.

At 20:58 on the 10 ball. Look where your cue ball ends up, right next to the 5 ball. Did you REALLY want it there? If so you are risking getting snookered by the 5. More likely, you didn't pay that much attention to where you wanted the cue ball to go. You just knew you wanted the 3 next. The point is, you have to decide exactly where you want the cue ball and pay attention to executing the shot in order to make that happen. You seem a little casual. Part of learning to play good position is knowing what is required of you. You must be able to bump that 13 you mentioned, although admittedly you had to punch the shot, making it more tricky, but still. On that 10 ball shot, all you needed to do was slow roll it and let the cue ball move ahead 6 inches for an angle that allows you to move the cue ball when shooting the 3.

You look a little lost when you get down to 5 balls, like, "OK what do I do now?". There's an idea you might consider if you don't know it. When you are running the balls and you have the major clusters already open, stop and think about which last 5 balls you want on the table. Pick a sequence that gives you a stop-stop sequence or something similar. Then, just shoot off all the balls that don't belong! When this method works it is like magic because the last 5 are suddenly easy, not hard.

Only watched up to 23 minutes, but I think I got the gist of your play. Nice shooting, a bit loose on the position.
Thanks for the input, Dan! Yes, the balls do probably still have the Real Magic on them. It does help, but keep in mind I'm hitting the balls very hard too. The cloth is 860HR. Under the basement conditions I find it slow, but if you see it as fast, maybe I'm being too picky.

I totally agree that cue ball control is a big problem. And I agree the shot at 4:35 should have had a more acute angle to get the ball closer to the break shot. These little things add up to run enders. I know it.

But the reason I took so long on that shot at 20:58 is because I didn't get up high enough to have a simple follow on it to the two balls on the bottom rail. I knew I needed to go off of the side rail. However, you're right that I didn't want to get that close to the 5-ball.

And yes, my end patterns could certainly be better! I'll work on them. Thanks, Dan!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: