Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Reading that Mosconi thread on the main page made me think

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Reading that Mosconi thread on the main page made me think
Old
  (#1)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Reading that Mosconi thread on the main page made me think - 10-25-2017, 11:33 AM

This is mainly for the old guard who may have seen him play. I know the guy pretty much looked down on 9 ball as he saw it as too much of an easy game for pros, but do you guys think people mistake his playing 14.1 only for not being a top player in other games?

I just find it odd that people honestly think a guy who consistently ran 100s as much as he did could not find his way around a game of 9 ball or even 8 ball.

Old
  (#2)
Jedivman
AzB Silver Member
Jedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond reputeJedivman has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2017, 01:18 PM

I his later years he played 7, 8, 9 ball and rotation. But he was in his later 60s then.

He was the best shot maker in the game with the most incredible cue control in his time. In his prime, no one could beat him at any game with any level of consistency.

Old
  (#3)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Great statement: "In his prime he was the best player - period. and that lasted for a very long time. Same could be said of Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Mohammud Ali, Arnold Palmer, etc. etc. The guy was in a class by himself in the world of pocket billiards for a very long time; enough said. IN HIS FINAL RESTING PLACE HE OWES NOTHING TO ANYONE - EXCEPT TO BE REMEMBERED AS THE BEST OF HIS TIME IN THE WORLD AT WHAT HE DID FOR A LIVING. Any speculation on how he would fare in competition against other era players or at variations of the main game he played is just speculation for our own amusement. We should just remember all of the greats in sport for what they accomplished during their period of competition - they owe us nothing else and we owe them that much respect for the time that they entertained us mere mortals with their superior skills and accomplishments. Let them rest in peace.

Old
  (#4)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

10-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
Great statement: "In his prime he was the best player - period. and that lasted for a very long time. Same could be said of Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Mohammud Ali, Arnold Palmer, etc. etc. The guy was in a class by himself in the world of pocket billiards for a very long time; enough said. IN HIS FINAL RESTING PLACE HE OWES NOTHING TO ANYONE - EXCEPT TO BE REMEMBERED AS THE BEST OF HIS TIME IN THE WORLD AT WHAT HE DID FOR A LIVING. Any speculation on how he would fare in competition against other era players or at variations of the main game he played is just speculation for our own amusement. We should just remember all of the greats in sport for what they accomplished during their period of competition - they owe us nothing else and we owe them that much respect for the time that they entertained us mere mortals with their superior skills and accomplishments. Let them rest in peace.
ENUFF SAID!

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
Do it like Efren: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqhJixAmWY One cool rack after opponent safety..
8-ball trickshots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Fu...ature=youtu.be

Old
  (#5)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

10-26-2017, 08:46 AM

I think there is an attitude today, especially among bar table players, that people who don't play the short rack games, can't for some reason. I think it also is prevalent among those who play only 9 ball. I remember a thread in the main forum by a guy who INSISTED that 9 ball was the only game to play to improve one's skill in pool.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Old
  (#6)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-27-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushout View Post
I think there is an attitude today, especially among bar table players, that people who don't play the short rack games, can't for some reason. I think it also is prevalent among those who play only 9 ball. I remember a thread in the main forum by a guy who INSISTED that 9 ball was the only game to play to improve one's skill in pool.
Great point! when I run 100 balls in straights there are several times where I need to position the cue on a DIME in order to continue the run; however, I can run 5 racks of 9 ball ( 1-9) without EVER having to achieve DIME position with the cue. Straights is SPOT position vs. AREA position generally for rotation games.

Old
  (#7)
14-1StraightMan
High Run 127
14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute

10-29-2017, 03:27 AM

I know for a fact that Mosconi did not like 9 ball but would play it when Road Players came into his town. I was told this by Leroy Kinman who was a very close personal friend of Mosconi's. Leroy told me that Willie always left the Road Players enough money in their pockets to take a bus out of town.... (Leroy who is play by play commentator during the match from Chicago between Mosconi & Jimmy Caras). As for Mosconi's skill level. I do believe that he was the best all around player that has ever lived. He is to the Sport of Pool as Jordan is to basketball, Marciano is to Boxing, Gretzky is to hockey and so on & on. I do not believe anyone can break his high run record and it's been a very long time since he has accomplished it. Too many things go wrong on the table but one never knows. On a side note. I had lunch with Mosconi when I was about 16... He treated me with totally respect and talked to me face to face with kindness.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: