WPA vs Chinese 8-ball

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Well, below is an email that came across my desk not long ago. It seems the heavy handed approach the WPA takes to pool promoters is continuing with no signs of abatement...

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2016 11:42 PM
To: xxx
Subject: Chinese 8-Ball Yushan

Dear All

Please be advised that Board of Directors has informed the CBSA that the WPA will not be associated with their proposed “Chinese Billiards” event that is being planned for March this year in Yushan, China. This decision came about because of the refusal of CBSA to have the event sanctioned by the WPA, in fact they won’t even discuss the matter. It seems that CBSA believe they have the authority to conduct a world championship event without approval of the world governing body. As the event is being billed as a world championship, you are obliged to restrain your members from participating. I have included in my letter to CBSA that they should not approach any of your player members direct. I can’t guarantee of course they will take any notice of that.

If any of your players were to participate, it would only help devalue our other genuine world championships and ultimately they would be doing the wrong thing by themselves and their colleagues who did the right thing and not play. The Board is discussing penalties against players who do participate. This matter will be high priority at our meeting in Frankfurt. If you wish to write to CBSA and express your disappointment with their intent and confirm that your association will be blocking its players, then by all means do so. It may help bring them to their senses and bring about a quick solution to the issue. The email address for CBSA is xxxxxxxx For your understanding, “Chinese Billiards” is a game of 8-Ball and is the same game that is often referred to as "Chinese 8-Ball”.

Thank you - Ian Anderson

To me this is kind of a shame, because the only people who are really being hurt here are pool players, and that's who the WPA supposedly represent. The C8B event will likely still go forward with a field made up of Chinese players, British snooker players (including I suspect many of the top ranked ones), and players who specialize in C8B and rarely play the other pool games, none of whom would fall under the WPA's jurisdiction, and will likely be just as successful for the promoters as such. Players who could do well in the event though, including some of pool's top players, could be prevented in earning a good amount of prize money by the very organization that is supposed to represent their interests.

Also, noteworthy is that even though this event is played on essentially small snooker tables, it's still a pool event in mainland China, which has previously primarily been a snooker nation. It's also the worlds largest TV market. For me it's hard to see why trying to prevent this event from being a success helps pool in any way.

It's also very unclear as to exactly what the WPA is bringing to the table in terms of value for their 'sanctioning fee'. One would think that if the value was there they wouldn't have to resort to what, to me at lest, looks like extortion to get the C8B people to pay it.

Thoughts?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is sort of a moot point anyways, isn't it. The WPA could really only levy a sanction on a player if they attended this event rather than a competing WPA sanctioned event scheduled at the same time that they are invited to, right? And low and behold the whole WPA calendar for March is blank. Too late now.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Just when I was thinking the game needed more division...

I am dissapointed that the CBSA (the Chinese Billiard and Snooker Association) won't at least negotiate, but to be fair having three(ish) world championships already kinda devalues the title.

It's shame because the Chinese 8 ball tournament was likely the most lucrative event (for the players) in pool.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just when I was thinking the game needed more division...

I am dissapointed that the CBSA (the Chinese Billiard and Snooker Association) won't at least negotiate, but to be fair have three(ish) world championships already kinda devalues the title.

It's shame because the Chinese 8 ball tournament was likely the most lucrative event (for the players) in pool.

There is only the one WPA world championship, the W9B, on the calendar for 2016.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
There is only the one WPA world championship, the W9B, on the calendar for 2016.

True, but if they could they would have the world 8 and 10 ball as well. It's one of the reasons Matchroom pulled out if I remember correctly. They could no longer market the tournament as the 'World Pool Championships'.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Well, below is an email that came across my desk not long ago. It seems the heavy handed approach the WPA takes to pool promoters is continuing with no signs of abatement...

To me this is kind of a shame, because the only people who are really being hurt here are pool players, and that's who the WPA supposedly represent. The C8B event will likely still go forward with a field made up of Chinese players, British snooker players (including I suspect many of the top ranked ones), and players who specialize in C8B and rarely play the other pool games, none of whom would fall under the WPA's jurisdiction, and will likely be just as successful for the promoters as such. Players who could do well in the event though, including some of pool's top players, could be prevented in earning a good amount of prize money by the very organization that is supposed to represent their interests.

Also, noteworthy is that even though this event is played on essentially small snooker tables, it's still a pool event in mainland China, which has previously primarily been a snooker nation. It's also the worlds largest TV market. For me it's hard to see why trying to prevent this event from being a success helps pool in any way.

It's also very unclear as to exactly what the WPA is bringing to the table in terms of value for their 'sanctioning fee'. One would think that if the value was there they wouldn't have to resort to what, to me at lest, looks like extortion to get the C8B people to pay it.

Thoughts?

Good post Brian, good luck at the derby.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is also a Professional Blackball World championships starting a week Monday and a Blackball World championships (team based mainly) in October.

Both are endorsed by the WPA

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPA is the world governing body for pool. It is of course right and proper that it not recognise events not endorsed by itself.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
For the players my ass. Look who the president/who's running the WPA is. Is there a token puppet pool player on the board? At least the mob use to give you protection for their fee. Johnnyt

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is also a Professional Blackball World championships starting a week Monday and a Blackball World championships (team based mainly) in October.

Both are endorsed by the WPA

Why aren't they on the WPA calender like Turning Stone was? Sorry, I always forget Blackball exists,

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ian Anderson is defending the rights of the pool players who fall
under the umbrella of the WPA.

WPA events have a quota system to ensure fair representation
for players from around the globe. It is quite a fair system and
past promoters of events have acknowledged it and it has worked well.

But what the Chinese are doing is inviting players from the World
Professional Snooker Association. Many of these players have
never played competitive 8 Ball or indeed any pool discipline.

But because they may be name players, they are demanding (and
receiving) guaranteed money and appearance fees.

The top pool players who support WPA events are not accorded
the same privileges.
I don't blame the snooker players (nice work if they can get it).

But the Chinese Federation should be supporting the WPA who
allow the Chinese players to play in all their other events
throughout the year.

I would be more hardline about it than Ian Anderson. I would
refuse to accept entries into WPA events any pool player
who enters the aforementioned Chinese 8 Ball event.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"The Board is discussing penalties against players who do participate."

So we don't yet know what, if any, penalties will be applied.

I hope the reigning Chinese 8-Ball world champion, Darren Appleton, gives us his thoughts. He was certainly planning to play.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
WPA Update

Dear All

I am pleased to advise you that the problems with the Yushan event have been resolved and everyone is free to play without any concerns. Thanks to all of you who supported our stand on this important matter, it definitely helped in us getting the matter resolved. I wish all of you the best of luck in the event and look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards - Ian Anderson

Wedge

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear All

I am pleased to advise you that the problems with the Yushan event have been resolved and everyone is free to play without any concerns. Thanks to all of you who supported our stand on this important matter, it definitely helped in us getting the matter resolved. I wish all of you the best of luck in the event and look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards - Ian Anderson

Wedge

Am I the only one to think they are amateurs for resolving this in the public arena. A turf war like this should not be resolved at the 12 hour. The game of pool requires better administration IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I the only one to think they are amateurs for resolving this in the public arena. A turf war like this should not be resolved at the 12 hour. The game of pool requires better administration IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a legitimate cocern but you have to factor in the communication difficulties that exist when dealing with the Chinese federation.
Should there be a policy that if a thing is not solved by the 11th hour then give up on it.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ian Anderson is defending the rights of the pool players who fall
under the umbrella of the WPA.

WPA events have a quota system to ensure fair representation
for players from around the globe. It is quite a fair system and
past promoters of events have acknowledged it and it has worked well.

But what the Chinese are doing is inviting players from the World
Professional Snooker Association. Many of these players have
never played competitive 8 Ball or indeed any pool discipline.

But because they may be name players, they are demanding (and
receiving) guaranteed money and appearance fees.

The top pool players who support WPA events are not accorded
the same privileges.
I don't blame the snooker players (nice work if they can get it).

But the Chinese Federation should be supporting the WPA who
allow the Chinese players to play in all their other events
throughout the year.

I would be more hardline about it than Ian Anderson. I would
refuse to accept entries into WPA events any pool player
who enters the aforementioned Chinese 8 Ball event.

Hear hear..