ABR Special Report - French Press Conference

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not too dumb...I didn't pay to watch the scam, nor did I bet on it.

The only person I have ever bet on is ME.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but it doesn't help his claim that he then he now makes it clear that it was really $35k each and they were betting $15k of gate and stream sales. There is nothing wrong with such a bet, but it is not fully disclosed as advertised.

3. The Reason the SVB didn't go ahead

JF says that DO was supposed to put up $25k of his own money, and in fairness he said that on the Ko stream. He didn't say on the Ko stream that $15k of that was stream/gate.

In any event, JF says the match fell apart when Do wouldn't put up the remaining $10k of his own money. I don't know why this surprises anyone (that Dennis wouldn't do so). What did DO win at DCC? Then divide that in half (to give JF his cut) and does DO even have $10k left over to bet? Even if he felt he was a slight favourite over SVB (and the consensus is he isn't) would you risk that kind of money on essentially a coin flip?

Gideon

From what I took from the JR interview the match was indeed for the whole $50k / person. I heard it broke down as such : DO got $10k & $5k, DO was gonna put up another $10k out of pocket. The way I understood JF it was gonna cover the remaining $25k for a grand total of $50k.

I do however disagree with you in regards to the exact breakdown of the post $$$. I am not referring to disclosing what the total amount of the set is for / advertised as. This info should 100% correct and known. As far as the breakdown on how the post money got on the light, I feel that is private only to be known by the principals directly involved - unless of course they feel otherwise. Think about it, in pool there are plenty of times I'm sure we do not wanna know lol.

As far as your #3) no idea how accurate it was but I think I heard JF say DO ended up $22nd winners at DCC. If that is correct DO had more than enough to cover everything the right way. But regardless even if he didn't win a penny @ DCC, one would think as DO's stakeholders JF would have covered the post if DO had been straight with him on everything.

Overall though I agree with your take on all of this. IMHO, at this time I believe all involved are guilty of at least a few lies, omissions, fact bending, and some truths as well. As someone else has said, all that's left at this point is to hear from the room owner, the streamer, Ko and his crew, and....... did I leave anyone out lol? Who knows if we will ever get the full truthful story??? With as such a huge mess this has turned into I have to wonder what if any the future of streamed challenge matched.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
If there's one thing we can take away from this, it's a reminder to reserve judgment until both sides of the story are heard.

Very true words Chris. Wow, listening to the JF interview certainly provided another perspective.

It reminds me of divorce court. The first side tells their story, and if you are listening you think, "Why, that SOB, we should hang'em!".
But then, you hear the other side tell their view.........

By the way, in all of this mess I have to say it is pretty clear to me which story I am believing at this juncture. Yes, the contract certainly was loose, incomplete, questionable to the point of lousy, signed by one party who does not read English but barely, let alone understanding necessarily all the content of a legal document (btw, should have been initialed by a close friend who understands and has explained clearly the content), and both sides had their separate unwritten priorities, but taking all into consideration.....ahem......it is pretty clear.
At least, so far...............could change again tomorrow......

I also want to extend a big THANK YOU to ABR, both Mark and David, for all the prep work and diligence in putting these two sessions together. As I said in an earlier post, the topic is timely and certainly is the elephant in the room. I know Mark and David understand how sensitive and risky it was to do both of these sessions in a way that objectively allows the perspectives to come to the fore. (More sessions may be required).

Well done.

Will Prout

Last edited:

ABR

ABR Public Relations
Silver Member
Will - Thank You.
And as much as I would love to bask in your kind words, I must insist that it is not with pleasure that we share these things, but our desire to document and share the illustrious and sometimes devious nature of this thing we call pool.

The recognition that we desire is only that of the observer, the entertainer, and the teller of the tale.

Let the humans be human.

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this interview didn't change my opinion of French. Seems to backpedal a lot change stories etc etc.

I am not saying the whole 6500$ is right, but why does John deserve a free roll on 50% of Dennis DCC winnings? Dennis gets free entry based on past winnings. I think anyone who wants half of Dennis DCC winnings, SHOULD pay all his entries and expenses. Its just staking him, forget about the free entries he gets. He worked for those.

both seem sneaky IMO.

Ian

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Will - Thank You.
And as much as I would love to bask in your kind words, I must insist that it is not with pleasure that we share these things, but our desire to document and share the illustrious and sometimes devious nature of this thing we call pool.

The recognition that we desire is only that of the observer, the entertainer, and the teller of the tale.

Let the humans be human.

David,
You and Mark worked hard this week, my friend......
It is appreciated.
Will

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that Dennis frequently refers to in his interview is that he has a stakehorse/backer/manager in the PHILIPPINES.
They have guided,supported/salaried him since they hooked him out from being a Pearl Fisherman.
Their financial contribution to his career far outweighs any other and I am sure that he has pecuniary arrangements to take are of there.
However, they would not be opposed to him exploring other revenue sources on his travels. I am not privy to their arrangements but I suspect that it is on their dime that he is in the USA.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Look at me, I can flip a coin for $100,000."

"Give me 15 to 4 in one-pocket, and I'll play you for $100,000."

Some people in the pool world seem to think that those with the deepest pockets should be celebrities. It is sad that anyone would think the only way to garner attention in the pool world is to pay for it.

This story is cyclical. History repeats itself, IMO.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why everybody thinks the contract favored French so much. Would you finance a pool players expenses 100% travel, rooms, tourney fees & gambling money and expect less than that? If I back a player in a match & win I get 50% of the take & if I lose I lose 100%..... & you think I'm stealing for wanting my 50%? The only people who can afford to become backers are people with better math skills then that.

Maybe because the contract in no way obligates French to do any of those things? A contract that clearly spells out the obligations of one party (50% of earnings) but is completely silent about the obligations of the other party? And it is laughable that immigration would be taken in by a ten year clause in a contract that is palpably unenforceable.

poolplaya1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this thread started with a bunch of people saying "I won't even listen to this..."

and at this point everyone that listened to it, save 2 people, are saying they they believe JF's story and that this all makes a whole lot more sense now.

Its been brought up before, but 50% of everything is very fair if the backer pays all room/board/entry fees/bets/etc. JF was clearly doing that already, no reason to think that he would stop.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this thread started with a bunch of people saying "I won't even listen to this..."

and at this point everyone that listened to it, save 2 people, are saying they they believe JF's story and that this all makes a whole lot more sense now.

Its been brought up before, but 50% of everything is very fair if the backer pays all room/board/entry fees/bets/etc. JF was clearly doing that already, no reason to think that he would stop.

That is not how contracts work. No matter what JF may have been doing all along, under that contract he could stop instantly and still be due the 50% for 10 years. The whole point of a written contract is to WRITE DOWN what ALL the terms are.

And imagine, elsewhere is a thread arguing that pool has too much class and integrity for its own good. LOL

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where does the contract say that French is paying for 100% of Dennis' expenses, travel, rooms, tourney fees, and gambling money?

If the contract doesn't say that, then it's not part of the contract.

He must have written the contract himself...or a 12 year old. It's logical he would only be due 50 percent in events he put Orcullo in. That should be specified, along with what support he would give. That's a very fair arrangement for Orcullo.

Problem is Dennis robbed his backer the first chance he got. If you are the backer are you just going to sit and take that?

Orcullo always has been slimy. He came from nothing. He sees nothing wrong with operating this way. He's a liar.

Last edited:

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the contract.

Please show me where it requires French to finance anything? Or do anything at all other than "advise" Dennis?

Gideon

Dennis wouldn't play events if French didn't put him in.

The contract as written was unenforceable. ..TThen again if it detailed how French pays all expenses and entries for 50 percent I guarantee we would have seen some world class dumping by Orcullo.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what happens when one party has a lawyer and the other one doesn't. Why obligate your client if you don't have to?

It brings to me the question of; Did Dennis ever intend on honoring the agreement, or did he just sign the ridiculous contract to get the $6500 Derby City payout and 10K advance on the Shane match? He's not dumb. It's very difficult to sue and collect on someone who doesn't reside here, has no wages to garnish, property to lein or bank accounts to seize. Maybe he's smarter than all of them.

Every post you write shows your intelligence.

Too bad Dennis screwed up a good thing for himself. All he had to do was be patient and play his game. These guys could make a great team....he blew that for a few grand.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. Kudos to you!

I took a small part of Jay's bet on this match and I took Ko. When Jay wouldn't disclose all of his reasons for liking DO, alarm bells were going off in my head, but I figured the bet was small enough that I would take a chance.

If you are implying that I knew about any of this stuff ahead of time you're dead wrong! I was gambling just like you! I felt that Dennis matched up good against Ko and it would be an important test for him leading up to the Shane match. I had spoken with Dennis on the phone and he seemed to be in a good place in his arrangement with French. I also felt that the long travel to New York might work against Ko. These are the yardsticks I used to evaluate the match, nothing else.