Even if 3-cusion's not your game, you should see this

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
A video was recently posted of Leppens vs Caudron, and Leppens ran 25 on him!

The world record is 31, but get this... apparently semih sayginer did that just this year =o Hugo Patino has it tied.

Before this year, the high run was... you guessed it... 25 (Willie Hoppe).

Anyway, this kind of run happens once in a lifetime in this difficult game and even non-players can appreciate the cuing skill shown.

http://stage6.divx.com/user/jadelosreyes/video/1526811/Leppens-Serie-de-25

(You'll need to install the divx web player to view by the way)

by the way the video is pretty long (over an hour) and the run doesn't start til the end. The rest of the match is great stuff too though. Leppens is the one without the blue glove btw.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Stage6 sucks. Its buggy, slow, & sometimes unresponsive. I refuse to try it anymore...which is a pity because they have LOT of videos I want to see.

EDIT: Sorry for the OT rant in your thread. I'm just so irritated at Stage6 that I let it spill over into your thread. If anyone would rehost it on a more reliable service, I would love to view it. Sorry again!

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
it IS a bit slow isn't it? Well, I saved the video ... when I get home I'll host it.

Part of the problem is that it's divx, which is pretty good compression but not really good enough for streaming. The other problem is that they want to make the viewable area a little too large, like 640p... doubling the size of the video takes four times as much data so the result is overloaded and slow servers.

The quality of the vid is a little rough also in order to keep the bitrate reasonable, and there's no sound :(

Despite all this, just get it loaded in the background and then go do something else. When you come back later it'll be ready.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
CreeDo said:
... Before this year, the high run was... you guessed it... 25 (Willie Hoppe). ...
For a long time Hoppe held the record for an exhibition run. He was playing an exhibition match and had run 14 and out and then continued with 11 more. (I might have that backwards, but Mike Shamos mentions it in a recent column and he was quoting from sources published at the time. The run has also been described as 12 and 13.)

The high run in competition is 28 set by Komori and tied by Ceulemans. Komori scored his 28 in 1993, and Ceulemans ran his on March 14, 1998. Both of these runs were in Dutch League matches.

Current 3-C tournaments are often played in 15-point sets, so high runs are less frequent. The high run at the just-finished Sang Lee Open was 15 (by Sayginer and Blomdahl). Last year Caudron had a 20. I'm not sure, but that may be a record for competition in the US.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
do we know what the circumstances were for the 31 runs (is that number accurate? It's mentioned in Semih's bio material in a few places). I haven't even heard of Hugo Patino but I'm sure if I was more into 3C I would have.

Either of the runs on video anywhere?

mbvl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CreeDo said:
do we know what the circumstances were for the 31 runs (is that number accurate? It's mentioned in Semih's bio material in a few places). I haven't even heard of Hugo Patino but I'm sure if I was more into 3C I would have.

Either of the runs on video anywhere?

The whole area of "record" high runs is fuzzy. Does practice count? Do exhibitions count? Does it have to be within the point limit of the game in question? WRT Hugo Patino's 31, the last question applies: the story is (I wasn't there) that Hugo ran 13 and out, and then continued his run for 18 more.

As Bob pointed out the highest run in the USA in formal competition is probably Caudron's 20 at last year's SLIO. But I heard that Blomdahl had a 22 (or maybe 24) a couple of years earlier during a warm-up for the same event, but that also might have been a matter of continuing the run after the game was over.

Within the last year Caudron had a 25 and a 27 (in the same event?) in Belgium.

The 25 by Leppens is the highest I know of captured on video.

Mark