An island in the Pacific
Old
  (#1)
Pangit
AzB Silver Member
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

An island in the Pacific - 04-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Link

First, candidate Donald Trump said a judge of Mexican descent couldn't give him a fair hearing.

Now, President Trump's attorney general, Jeff Sessions, is suggesting that a judge from Hawaii — which he dismissively labels “an island in the Pacific” — should not be able to strike down Trump's travel ban.

Here's what Sessions told radio host Mark Levin on Wednesday, in audio uncovered by CNN's Andrew Kaczynski:

We are confident that the president will prevail on appeal and particularly in the Supreme Court, if not the Ninth Circuit. So this is a huge matter. I really am amazed that a judge sitting on an island in the Pacific can issue an order that stops the president of the United States from what appears to be clearly his statutory and Constitutional power.

There are a few problems with this.

The first is that Hawaii is a state and has been since 1959. Dismissing it as “an island in the Pacific” is the kind of thing that will earn you the pleasure of apologizing to an entire state. We'll start the countdown clock.

The second is that the judge isn't a Hawaiian judge, per se. Derrick Watson is actually a federal judge who happens to serve on a district court in Hawaii. And in case you were wondering, he has some of that all-important mainland experience and perspective, having worked as a lawyer in San Francisco.

And the third is that Hawaii does have major ports of entry, with international travelers arriving regularly. (We hear the beaches are nice or something?) Hence, it is affected by Trump's travel ban.

This is hardly the first time the Trump administration has sought to undercut or question the powers of judges who run afoul of Trump. There was Gonzalo Curiel, of course, and then there was Trump's lengthy campaign to question whether the courts even had the authority of overrule his travel ban. Even now-Supreme Court Justice Neil M. Gorsuch called Trump's attacks on judges “demoralizing” and “disheartening.”

Trump seemed to back away from those attacks for a while. But now Sessions has picked them up again.

Sent from my LBFM-123 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#2)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2017, 04:22 AM

The cartoon you posted implies that there must be something wrong with Alabama. Can you clarify? Like Hawaii, it too is a state.

Referring to Hawaii as "an island in the Pacific" in a dismissive tone was a dopey thing for the Attorney General to say, but if you read the full text of his comments you can see how it flowed. It's not as damning as the cherry-picked quotes in the media portray.

Did you read the Judge Watson's Order? I doubt you have and doubt you will, but I bet the Attorney General did. I can see his frustration. And, I can see why this case was brought in front of this judge. By the Order's argument, I think a good case (a winning case in front of judge Watson) could be brought that any EO that prevented travel is unconstitutional. First, that would mean that people from that country would find it difficult to attend a university in Hawaii. Hawaii could be harmed because people from that country couldn't vacation there. And, if there was a predominate religion of that country, it could be said the EO targeted that religion. Worse, the judge basically said that the EO had a religious objective of banning muslims.

You don't think Donald Trump had a legitimate concern about whether a judge who is a member of the National Council of La Raza would give a fair hearing in light of the bombardment of press painting Trump as a racist against the judge's race? I think Judge Curiel is an honest descent judge,but he was prevented by statute to comment back, so he couldn't defend himself.

Old
  (#3)
Pangit
AzB Silver Member
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2017, 04:36 AM

[QUOTE=Alan;5863426]The cartoon you posted implies that there must be something wrong with Alabama. Can you clarify? Like Hawaii, it too is a state.

I agree, Hawaii is just as much a state as Alabama. Why is the AG casting doubt on a Federal judge from Hawaii's wisdom on the bench? But, Trump picked a good 'ole boy for his AG. The AG can pick and choose what's most important to the American people as far as legal battles go.

Sent from my LBFM-123 using Tapatalk

Old
  (#4)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-21-2017, 04:43 AM

We do need border control Tom. If we had control of our borders, the illegal that stabbed Mr Haney would never have even been here.

"Hillary Clinton is Jesus risen again."
-justnum-

"Whether or not its a lie is irrelevant."
-Bishop-

"Climate change deniers are Racists, Homophobes, Alcoholics and Smokers."
-Wiley Dog-

"I'm guessing the Democrats will be stupid for many years to come."
-Wiley Dog-

"I hate whitey!"
-Wiley Dog-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#5)
Alan
AzB Silver Member
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2017, 04:56 AM

[QUOTE=Pangit;5863434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The cartoon you posted implies that there must be something wrong with Alabama. Can you clarify? Like Hawaii, it too is a state.

I agree, Hawaii is just as much a state as Alabama. Why is the AG casting doubt on a Federal judge from Hawaii's wisdom on the bench? But, Trump picked a good 'ole boy for his AG. The AG can pick and choose what's most important to the American people as far as legal battles go.

Why? I explained it, but I may be biased. Make your own assessment. Read the text of the EO and decide for yourself if it's Constitutional. Then read judge Watson's reasoning of why it's not Constitutional in his Order. It's not about being wise, it's about being correct on the Constitution. None of us are 100% objective, but try. I think you'll come to see why the AG was frustrated. If not, tell me why.

Good ole boy? He has an accent and was raised in Alabama. That makes him a good 'ole boy in your mind? Would you consider him a bigot?

As to the AG picking his legal battles, that's irrelevant in this matter.

Old
  (#6)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2017, 05:33 AM

What is amazing is that so many are so shocked to find out about that island in the Pacific.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#7)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2017, 05:44 AM

[QUOTE=Pangit;5863434]
Quote:

I agree, Hawaii is just as much a state as Alabama. Why is the AG casting doubt on a Federal judge from Hawaii's wisdom on the bench?

Cast doubt? Naw, liberal people are just shocked to find out that it is a state and has judges. That's what all the media noise is about. That's why this is making headlines.

The liberals don't know because they are afraid to teach about it in school or talk about it out loud. They are afraid of the flag, so they don't know what the stars stand for. They won't talk about US history because it is a nation that arose through violent bloody revolution.

You see, not only do many liberals not even know Hawaii is a state, the most they can say about it they think that's where maui wowie comes from. They actually get bonus points for stating that and can pass AP classes that way.

They are just scared to know more or poke their heads out of the sand and see beyond their own deeds and desires.

So the whole reason this is making headlines is because liberals are so fragile, frightened, and ignorant.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#8)
Alan
AzB Silver Member

04-21-2017, 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=Alan;5863454]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangit View Post

Why? I explained it, but I may be biased. Make your own assessment. Read the text of the EO and decide for yourself if it's Constitutional. Then read judge Watson's reasoning of why it's not Constitutional in his Order. It's not about being wise, it's about being correct on the Constitution. None of us are 100% objective, but try. I think you'll come to see why the AG was frustrated. If not, tell me why.

Good ole boy? He has an accent and was raised in Alabama. That makes him a good 'ole boy in your mind? Would you consider him a bigot?

As to the AG picking his legal battles, that's irrelevant in this matter.

Did you read the Order?

Old
  (#9)
sixpack
AzB Silver Member
sixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond reputesixpack has a reputation beyond repute

04-21-2017, 01:17 PM

It is an island and it is extremely difficult for people to move there illegally.

Yes, they have entry points. All are guarded and regulated and have staff on site to ensure that only people with the proper papers are allowed in.

Kinda sounds like what Trump wants to do, eh?

Hawaii: We already have our borders controlled so to heck with the rest of you. Furthermore, you are racist if you try to do what we have already done.

Sounds a lot like the rest of the criticisms of Trump.

Splitting time between Chicago and San Francisco.

"If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it." - Mark Twain

Old
  (#10)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

04-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
What is amazing is that so many are so shocked to find out about that island in the Pacific.
Geography is not a strong point with many

Dave <-- spent a long time describing where Saskatchewan is located ... then gave up with either "a thousand miles north of Denver" or "a few thousand miles west of Toronto"

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#11)
Alan
AzB Silver Member

04-21-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Geography is not a strong point with many

Dave <-- spent a long time describing where Saskatchewan is located ... then gave up with either "a thousand miles north of Denver" or "a few thousand miles west of Toronto"
I had a guy at work ask me one time if there was a bridge or tunnel to Hawaii. He wanted to vacation there and thought driving would be cheaper than flying. For some reason he thought it was just off the coast of California and that's why the Japanese attacked it. At least he didn't think it was the Germans.

Old
  (#12)
DaveK
pre-proscribed
DaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond reputeDaveK has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 526

04-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I had a guy at work ask me one time if there was a bridge or tunnel to Hawaii. He wanted to vacation there and thought driving would be cheaper than flying. For some reason he thought it was just off the coast of California and that's why the Japanese attacked it. At least he didn't think it was the Germans.

Catalina, Hawaii, what's the difference.

Dave <-- has flown to Maui and Oahu but never Catalina ... and took a ferry to Prince Edward Island way before they built the bridge

Can't fix stupid, you're on your own.

Old
  (#13)
LAMas
AzB Silver Member
LAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond reputeLAMas has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-21-2017, 07:46 PM

Do they have any salty wetback Illegal Immigrants?
In Kalifornicated, they come from Asia.

dumluk

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: