Why do tables play different?

JC

Coos Cues
And there you have it Denwhit!

Any other questions about why tables play different or does that take care of it?

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

JC

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
And there you have it Denwhit!

Any other questions about why tables play different or does that take care of it?

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

JC

Yeah, I think I've learned a lot. :embarrassed2:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I could explain the OP's question about why pool tables play different, but it won't change anything and alk that woukd do is invite arguing from people that don't know shit about it....because they think they do, so why bother.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The OB point of contact is the rail nose in Front of the diamond, not aimed At the diamond.
First rail and third rail contact points also equal 5. Corner to diamond 3 goes to diamond 2.

What denwhit said about his table rebounding 4 1/2 table lengths is okay according to BCA.
this post referenced this link from joey in cali
https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/bca-pool.com/resource/resmgr/imported/BCAEquipmentSpecifications_2008.pdf
which has a diagram on how the rails should play
cushion diagram specification.png
and it shows the billiard table tracts of 5 to 3 to 2 to the corner
the 2 tract on a billiard table is to the corner
even if aiming at diammond 3 it would equal about 2 and 3/4 or alittle closer to 3
i have never played on a 9 foot table of any brand that had cloth that had been played on where you to aim closer to diamond 2 or diamond 2 1/4
to get to the corner
ie the tract to the corner on almost every table i have played on (not diamonds) closer to the 3 tract was to the corner
when i test a table i start from the corner and aim at diamond 2 and adjust from there
is my experience atypical
???
i dont mean this post to side track the thread since i am asking in a different way why do pool tables play different

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
QUOTE even if aiming at diammond 3 it would equal about 2 and 3/4 or alittle closer to 3
i have never played on a 9 foot table of any brand that had cloth that had been played on where you to aim closer to diamond 2 or diamond 2 1/4
to get to the corneral
???
i dont mean this post to side track the thread since i am asking in a different way why do pool tables play different[/QUOTE]

For what ever reason and I will soon know (when Glen arrives), my table is exactly as you describe above in that one has to aim at diamond three (not the nose of the cushion in front) equaling 2 & 3/4 to track to the corner pocket. Aiming at the nose of the cushion in front of diamond 2, as the diagram describes, my table will return the ball 3/4 of a diamond (short) up on the side rail. But as I've said, two people would hit the shot two different ways (how much running English for example?) I think the cloth was never stretched correctly. I can only get 4 and 4 diamonds firing from the head spot. And I can't even imagine someone hitting a 9 rail shot. Will have to see that with my own eyes.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
https://c.ymcdn.com/sites/bca-pool.com/resource/resmgr/imported/BCAEquipmentSpecifications_2008.pdf
View attachment 456870
even if aiming at diammond 3 it would equal about 2 and 3/4 or alittle closer to 3
to get to the corner
ie the tract to the corner on almost every table i have played on (not diamonds) closer to the 3 tract was to the corner
when i test a table i start from the corner and aim at diamond 2 and adjust from there
???
i dont mean this post to side track the thread since i am asking in a different way why do pool tables play different

On my modified sub-rail GCI with Artemis cushions I aim at about diamond 2 1/4 for a successful 3 rail shot. I am not sure where the cue ball actually contacts the cushion, I have never had anyone standing along side the table at that point to tell me but I am guessing it contacts the cushion pretty close to diamond 3. A local blue label 9' Diamond Pro-Am plays very close to my GCI. 7' Diamond red label bar boxes I need to aim that shot almost a full diamond up table (diamond 1 - 1 1/4) for the 3 rail shot to go, I had to aim so far up table that I shot that shot about 20 times one night because I could not believe it would go aiming that far up table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
View attachment 456870
to get to the corner
???

What Joey fails to understand as well as everyone else is that banking diagram is for a billiards table where banking is critical in which thinner cloth, bigger balls, higher density cushions, and heated slates are in use. Humidity, cloth, balls, cushions, level of table....ALL play a role in how tables play different from each other, even rail construction, thickness of slate, how many bolts a rail has effects the outcome of the banks. That diagram is a guide, not the bible of how a POOL table is suppose to play. Even how .any hours of play on the cloth changes everything about how a pool table plays, we don't even want to get into how clean the table is. Wake up people, even billiards tables don't play as perfect as that diagram indicates they should. ONE rail banks is the true test of how a POOL table banks. Ask yourselves how many times do you ba k a ball on a pool table more than ONE RAIL?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
thinner cloth, bigger balls, higher density cushions, and heated slates are in use. Humidity, cloth, balls, cushions, level of table....ALL play a role in how tables play different from each other, even rail construction, thickness of slate, how many bolts a rail has effects the outcome of the banks.
?

That! is the answer I was looking for. I was just curious why my table plays so much different than my instructor's. I don't think there is anything wrong with either table.... just different.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What Joey fails to understand as well as everyone else is that banking diagram is for a billiards table where banking is critical in which thinner cloth, bigger balls, higher density cushions, and heated slates are in use. Humidity, cloth, balls, cushions, level of table....ALL play a role in how tables play different from each other, even rail construction, thickness of slate, how many bolts a rail has effects the outcome of the banks. That diagram is a guide, not the bible of how a POOL table is suppose to play. Even how .any hours of play on the cloth changes everything about how a pool table plays, we don't even want to get into how clean the table is. Wake up people, even billiards tables don't play as perfect as that diagram indicates they should. ONE rail banks is the true test of how a POOL table banks. Ask yourselves how many times do you ba k a ball on a pool table more than ONE RAIL?
RKC
Thanks for the reply
I really appreciate it....:thumbup:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
. ONE rail banks is the true test of how a POOL table banks. Ask yourselves hw many times do you ba k a ball on a pool table more than ONE RAIL?

Okay, how to set up a one rail shot to test whether a table is playing long or short? I think it involves setting up frozen balls so there is not any chance of English involved? Just guessing but frozen balls aimed from the side pocked diamond at the point of the cushion in front of the middle diamond on the opposing rail?

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Here's Ralph Eckert teaching one-railer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4niYd9ccsQw
That's how I test tables at my local hall before a match.
And the tables there vary table table.
They were all redone with Artemis K66 profile ( not K55 ). And some tables actually bank very very well.
Some that I wish how my table banks.
Some bank short but not overly short.

Playing 9-ball or 10-ball does not involve banking or kicking, for that matter, 3 rails that often.
But, playing 3-rail position is done very often.
Not arguing, just saying.

And not even going to expound on Accufast cushion having no control fabric on top. And not going to argue cushions put english on balls under circumstances.

And this is BCA's own specs/regulations for pool table and equipment.

Maybe they need some updating.

Joey~Still not buying Olhausen~

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here's Ralph Eckert teaching one-railer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4niYd9ccsQw
That's how I test tables at my local hall before a match.
And the tables there vary table table.
They were all redone with Artemis K66 profile ( not K55 ). And some tables actually bank very very well.
Some that I wish how my table banks.
Some bank short but not overly short.

Playing 9-ball or 10-ball does not involve banking or kicking, for that matter, 3 rails that often.
But, playing 3-rail position is done very often.
Not arguing, just saying.

And not even going to expound on Accufast cushion having no control fabric on top. And not going to argue cushions put english on balls under circumstances.

And this is BCA's own specs/regulations for pool table and equipment.

Maybe they need some updating.

Joey~Still not buying Olhausen~

Joey, why are younso hung up on K66 cushions being the best cushions there are, as you always seem to make it a point " the tables banked real good...AND THEY HAVE K66 CUSHIONS ON THEM! Most of all the requests to rebuild GCs that come to me from California have K66 cushions on the rails and THATS WHY THEY WANT THEM REBUILT.....THEY DON'T LIKE HOW THEY PLAY!!!

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Joey, why are younso hung up on K66 cushions being the best cushions there are, as you always seem to make it a point " the tables banked real good...AND THEY HAVE K66 CUSHIONS ON THEM! Most of all the requests to rebuild GCs that come to me from California have K66 cushions on the rails and THATS WHY THEY WANT THEM REBUILT.....THEY DON'T LIKE HOW THEY PLAY!!!
Err, I never said that.
You are imagining things and your memory is failing you bad.
Should i remind you why I got my cushions redone with
Artemis K55?
Your memory is so bad, you better get check with a doctor.
The local hall I am talking about has Goldenwest Forge tables.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Okay, how to set up a one rail shot to test whether a table is playing long or short? I think it involves setting up frozen balls so there is not any chance of English involved? Just guessing but frozen balls aimed from the side pocked diamond at the point of the cushion in front of the middle diamond on the opposing rail?

Pretty simple to determine really.

If I miss a one rail shot the table banks short or long depending on how I missed.

See how it works? It's the damned table!

If all tables played the same then what would us nits say?:smile:

JC

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Pretty simple to determine really.

If I miss a one rail shot the table banks short or long depending on how I missed.

See how it works? It's the damned table!

If all tables played the same then what would us nits say?:smile:

JC

LMAO!!!!
Thats exactly what I was going to say, if I am making banks the table plays good and I am a pool God. If I am missing banks the table is for shit and I am still a pool God!!!!:yeah::yeah::yeah:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
That's how I test tables at my local hall before a match. And the tables there vary table table. They were all redone with Artemis K66 profile ( not K55 ). And some tables actually bank very very well.

Naaaaa....you didn't say that, the OTHER you must have been typing, there's only ONE person i know of that installs Artemis K66 profile cushions on pool tables, and Gold Crowns at that, which are the wrong cushions and i don't care what anyone says.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Naaaaa....you didn't say that, the OTHER you must have been typing, there's only ONE person i know of that installs Artemis K66 profile cushions on pool tables, and Gold Crowns at that, which are the wrong cushions and i don't care what anyone says.

I didn't say my local hall has gold crown tables.
K66 on gc? Been there done that. Beat to death.
The formica sticks out and scratches the shaft bc the sub rail's top is belt sanded.

Btw, the other quit doing that.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
That! is the answer I was looking for. I was just curious why my table plays so much different than my instructor's. I don't think there is anything wrong with either table.... just different.

Went down to play and size up a 9' Diamond table in a local bar. It has Artimus cushions, 860HR tournament blue cloth. It banks EXACTLY like mine in that the standard three rail out of a corner pocket, aiming at the diamond 6 (two diamonds past side pocket), with just a 1/2 tip running English, it goes in the heart of the adjacent corner pocket. I was able to get a 5 a few times slamming it as hard as I could. So now, I think my friend's Olhausen plays long and mine plays normal. Happy camper in Salem:smile:

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Went down to play and size up a 9' Diamond table in a local bar. It has Artimus cushions, 860HR tournament blue cloth. It banks EXACTLY like mine in that the standard three rail out of a corner pocket, aiming at the diamond 6 (two diamonds past side pocket), with just a 1/2 tip running English, it goes in the heart of the adjacent corner pocket. I was able to get a 5 a few times slamming it as hard as I could. So now, I think my friend's Olhausen plays long and mine plays normal. Happy camper in Salem:smile:
Great. That settles that.