House of Lords

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Any of you fellows remember the old House of Lords commercial tables? I used to play on them yrs ago and even purchased one for a while.

I wondered if anyone knew the history of the company and possibly even have some photos. I remember them as being very solid tables.

thanks

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
One of the best ever

Any of you fellows remember the old House of Lords commercial tables? I used to play on them yrs ago and even purchased one for a while.

I wondered if anyone knew the history of the company and possibly even have some photos. I remember them as being very solid tables.

thanks

My first job in a pool room (1969) we had 8 House of Lords 9 footers. They had an arched base that supported a super strong Gold Crown style frame, 1 inch pinned and doweled slate, slate frames were 5 quarter poplar with mortoise and tenon joinery, an arched apron with a Gold Crown 1 style apron attacment (male to female extrusion), rosewood formica rails and a Gold Crown style casting. Manhatten Raybestos K 66 cushions (the best).

IMHO, the House of lords was one of the finest commercial table ever built. They were a joy to work on and recover, they looked fantastic and they were built better than a GC 1.

The tables were built by Bowl-More and distributed from 1962-1969. Most were used by candelpin bowling centers in the Northeastern U.S. Some tables did make it to other parts of the country. If you have a chance to purchase one in decent condition...do so. They are a great classic table, and my personal favorite.

Hope this helps
Jay

OTLB

Banned
Did it have a base like this? thanks John

Attachments

• xbox.jpg
    xbox.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,238

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
That's a cool looking table I have never seen one before. Thanks for the photo post up more if you got them.

Craig

OTLB

Banned
Thanks, made 5 of these custom GC IV's. They had 1.25 or 1.5 doweled Italian slate, Chrome castings and trim custom from Brunswick. Brunswick use to have a "TOP" program where they would sell it as a conversion for older GC's. Slate was direct from Italy and I had a container load made for me. Table was in the #1 position in my poolroom only for a short time. Everyone was very happy with it. I added some trim to dress it up and actually had a light on both ends so at night it looked slick when turned on. Heres the only other pic I have.

thanks John

Attachments

• MVC-009S.jpg
    MVC-009S.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,163

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
My first job in a pool room (1969) we had 8 House of Lords 9 footers. They had an arched base that supported a super strong Gold Crown style frame, 1 inch pinned and doweled slate, slate frames were 5 quarter poplar with mortoise and tenon joinery, an arched apron with a Gold Crown 1 style apron attacment (male to female extrusion), rosewood formica rails and a Gold Crown style casting. Manhatten Raybestos K 66 cushions (the best).

IMHO, the House of lords was one of the finest commercial table ever built. They were a joy to work on and recover, they looked fantastic and they were built better than a GC 1.

The tables were built by Bowl-More and distributed from 1962-1969. Most were used by candelpin bowling centers in the Northeastern U.S. Some tables did make it to other parts of the country. If you have a chance to purchase one in decent condition...do so. They are a great classic table, and my personal favorite.

Hope this helps
Jay

Jay, thanks a lot for that info. :) I mention this table from time to time and everyone looks at me like I'm from Mars .. :) It was the most well made table I've ever seen.

Our local pool room that I made my second home in the late 60's had a dozen of them.

As I recall, the legs had levelers much like the GCs. It was super solid and super heavy.

When I first got married we lived in a two family house. We rented the second floor and had use of the attic. The owner said I could put a pool table up there.

I recall buying a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood and and screwing it down to the attic subfloor in about a thousand places to keep the rafters more stable.

5 of my buddies and I then torturously brought it up to the attic and assembled it. I sold it some time later and think about that great table a lot.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Additional questions regarding the "House of Lords"

Sorry for the dig, but Ive recently came across a 9ft House of Lords pool table ,, I was curious if there was any pics of the logo of that particular table ??

What the value might be for a 9ft House of Lords in mint condition ?

Also would like to know where I might be able to find replacement parts for this table ?

Bowl-more was mentioned to be the maker of this table,, is it possible that Brunswick produced these tables for Bowl more, being they look strikingly close to a GC-1 ??

Any additional info/pics/guidance is greatly appreciated ........

jmartin79

Registered
Digging up this old thread again. Jay from A1 Billiards sold me this table and Josh Lee and his son Austin came up from NH to deliver and set it up for me. Folks were looking for pics of a House of Lords, here are a couple.

timsmcm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. Just wow. Never seen one. That is a beautiful table wish I could find one in good shape.

Grandpap

House of Lords table

My grandfather owned a gas station/pool hall in Pittsburgh in the 1960-70's. I have one of the pool tables from there--- a 9 foot House of Lords table in very good condition. It is time to find it a good home. Do you still have interest in having one? We live in Virginia.
I'm having trouble loading the pics because they are too big, but you may reach me at virginiabiz@gmail.com and I can send them to you.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 554

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I would say NO WAY. It is inferior to a Gold Crown just in the fact that the cushions are K66. Superspeeds are far better. There are tons of Gold Crowns out there to be had for far less, pick one up and find a mechanic to do the work it will need. Then never worry about needing another table in your life :) Just my opinion :)

Trent from Toledo

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

Hope this helps
Jay
I would take Jay's recommendation on this issue. He's been around a bit and has actually played on & worked on these tables. Drop him a message. I believe he still checks the forum. If not try calling him. He is a great guy and awesome pool table technician.(that's for you Geoff!)

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Thank you for the advice.

$$$$ wise their is no comparison. Not like their is a "demand" for them so finding a real market value on one of those tables is pretty tough. A Gold Crown on the other hand is much easier to put a value to! Good luck!

Trent from Toledo

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I would take Jay's recommendation on this issue. He's been around a bit and has actually played on & worked on these tables. Drop him a message. I believe he still checks the forum. If not try calling him. He is a great guy and awesome pool table technician.(that's for you Geoff!)

Ha! Thanks Pat. 'Mechanics' work on machinery.

CaptainBly

Registered
So, I pulled the plug on the table. Got it for 1800 installed with simonis cloth, a couple of house cues and a new set of balls. We moved it into the basement lastnight and I can tell you this is one solid table! It's a heavy beast. I will post some pictures after the final install this weekend.