how to play

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
One shot i dont miss much, pretty much pnly see it in rotation which i dont follow anyways

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump shots
You are not allowed to jump over ANY part of an intervening ball to hit the ball ON.
...However, you can jump over any ball AFTER you hit the ball on.

I have to clarify this a little for you PT as your statement verbatim can be interpreted as being not quite accurate. The proper interpretation of a "jump shot" is not exactly dependent on whether or not the ball on is the first struck. If that were true, then it would not be a foul to miscue, White jumps forward to strike the ball on (which you were aiming at), and then continues to jump over that ball. What I just described is in fact a foul, even though the proper ball on was first contacted.

It is a fuzzy area of the Rules for many people to understand and it is a whole lot easier to demonstrate with balls and a table than it is to explain in words. To try to be as simple as possible, IF A LEGAL CONTACT IS MADE WITH A BALL ON, then after that, the White may proceed to jump over other balls, and there is no foul. For instance, ball near cushion, White shot at an angle to sink it in the corner, but White hops up in the air off the cushion and jumps over another ball; this is a fair (legal) stroke. As written, the Rule says it is a foul stroke if the first encounter of the White is to jump over any part of any ball, whether touching that ball or not, and whether that ball is on or not. If the White jumps up in the air (usually the result of a miscue, not an intentional jump), contacts the ball on somewhere near the "North Pole" of the ball, but then falls back to the same side of the object ball from which it approached, no foul; but if it strikes near the North Pole but falls over to the FAR side of the object ball, foul, as it is now officially a "jump shot".

Long story short: make a fair first contact, then the White can jump over anything else, no foul. BUT, if the very first thing that happens is that the White jumps over any part of any ball as described by the Rule above, then foul stroke.

Last edited:

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jump shots
You are not allowed to jump over ANY part of an intervening ball to hit the ball ON.
...However, you can jump over any ball AFTER you hit the ball on.

Hey, PT, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. You will have to trash some of those old love letters from high school sweethearts to make some room. :grin:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Look dont take that post the wrong way
But lile i said it is just looks high precision shot making
And position play to me, that in itslef is very interesting to watch and i was not attempting to condecend
But i do miss the banks and kiss shots and stack reads of pool games , but im srill posting in this area because i want to understand and play it soon

Now your referring me to keep playing pool well your not paying much attention then because im a carom player
Just take a look at the avatar and sig

The game that has no holes of any size where you must use imagination with knowledge to succeed
Pocket games the objective is in 6 locations on the table with 15 or more balls to put in them

Carom you have 3 balls and straight rails:thumbup:

There can be a lot of creativity in safety play. It may look like players are just sending the ball to anywhere on the baulk cushion but I guarantee that good players are aiming to get the cue ball in a specific spot that will maximise the difficulty of a return shot.

You also do get banks and caroms, but not as much and many of those shots are played as shots to nothing (playing with safety in mind). Here is one of my favorites, it's a two rail bank into the side pocket and newer players will think you fluked it. It's similar to a one pocket shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq0BbSdtzAk

Cue ball control is similar to 14.1 cue ball control. You don't have to do too many multi-rail paths, though you do need to be able to play those positions, but you learn to control the path of the cue ball to get exact nudges on the reds. Nudging reds and controlling both the cue ball and the red you are hitting is crucial to break building and you need to be precise with your control since you if you overrun your position, you will typically have nothing or at least a very hard shot. I remember when I started playing snooker after coming from a pool background, most of my breaks would end by snookering myself behind a red when playing around the black area. To learn consistency in break building and cue ball control a lot top amateurs and pros practice a variety of drills. This is one of my favourites, though it's incredibly punishing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBcoXD4dSkg

It's a very nuanced game, and the more you watch and play the more you understand the complexity of what players are doing. I've often related my experience playing one of my mentors. He is an exceptional safety player, and if I am playing well and his potting is a bit off, he just locks me down. Every shot I come to the table in a worse position until eventually, I have no choice but to shoot a low percentage shot. That is when I learned that safety in snooker is not just waiting to see who blinks first, there is a lot of strategy to it.

Admittedly, at the start of a players development, since they do not have the accuracy to do any of what I have just described, it can feel like a one dimensional game to them. It's just about potting balls and cue ball control is minimal, typcially just controlling the speed. But as your accuracy increases, the game becomes more complex.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Beforw this world championship i had seen very minimal snooker

Watching most of the frames in the last 3 rnds
I appreciate it morw than i did originally

They are infact good at kicking very good
Before all i saw were very minimal and videos of guys missing4 straight attempts

The rounded pockets meant to spit balls out is a harsh mistress

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hey, PT, I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. You will have to trash some of those old love letters from high school sweethearts to make some room. :grin:

I'm having trouble getting through to AZ right now.
I renewed for gold two days before expiry but it's not registering...
...no response to my email from AZ.
..I got too many PMs that I want to save....so I can't afford to go back to 150 PM limit.

...will PM you as soon as I get this straightened out.
My priority recently has been the world snooker..I always freak this time of year. :smile2:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I learned snooker rules faster than anyone else in history (well, as many of them as I could - I'm convinced nobody alive knows them ALL).

When I lived overseas a couple years I joined a local workingmens' club and their snooker team as a way to get to know the game and meet friends.

Well, the way they did it there was that players not in a game would ref and score the other matches going on. That was quite a shock for the dumb kid from the US south who hadn't bothered even learning all the rules first and was now responsible for officiating in tournaments.

Hilarity ensued.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No combos on colors, only on reds. Reds are kind of "don't care which one, just pot one".
If you need to play a red, and you pot it, and additionally a color by accident, then it's a foul already; vice versa, too.
No caroms for colors, you need to nominate your color, hit that one first AND pot that one AND nothing else.

Rather easy I think :)
Cheers,
M

And, of course, the combo is more properly referred to as a plant. They also call bank shots something else (doubling? can't remember for sure).

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
And, of course, the combo is more properly referred to as a plant. They also call bank shots something else (doubling? can't remember for sure).

A bank is called a double....a three-in-the-side is called a cocked hat double.
..they are pretty vague about a two-banker...and they flip if you ask them what to call a
five-in-the-corner....:)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A bank is called a double....a three-in-the-side is called a cocked hat double.
..they are pretty vague about a two-banker...and they flip if you ask them what to call a five-in-the-corner....:)
Which reminds me.... The year Corey Deuel won the US Snooker Championship, one of the shots he played was the black three cushions to the corner in the standard around the table pattern from somewhere around the blue spot, and through a lot of traffic as most of the reds were still up. He made it. I imagine it was unsettling to his opponent.

Would that be a cocked high hat double?

Here is double instruction from Frank Callan: http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/advanced/doubles/doubles.htm

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Which reminds me.... The year Corey Deuel won the US Snooker Championship, one of the shots he played was the black three cushions to the corner in the standard around the table pattern from somewhere around the blue spot, and through a lot of traffic as most of the reds were still up. He made it. I imagine it was unsettling to his opponent.

Would that be a cocked high hat double?

Here is double instruction from Frank Callan: http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/advanced/doubles/doubles.htm

Frank mentions only two cushions for his three in the side diagram...:)..just a typo.

Many UK players are really Leary of banks....probably this concerned is inherited from
Davis...all three of them...Joe, Fred, and Steve...they feel you can't transmit 'side'....
...which makes many banks too risky.

About a hundred years ago, there was a big controversy among the English billiard players...
...some believed you could influence the object ball with side,,,and some thought not.
...if they had the internet back then, it would've went viral....like our 'aiming' threads.