Old Cue - What is it?

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The half joint, if original, should hopefully help. IIRC, Rocky Tillis was one of the early builders to incorporate the half joint into his design.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I doubt that cue, as pictured, is old at all. Maybe parts of it that are old, but as a unit not old. Just intended to look old.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do agree. I don't think it's very old.

But how old is old?

10-20-30-40 years?

The pin looks "modern". The wrap looks "modern".

Karl Mayer made cues until something like 2003. That's one of the reasons I originally suggested Mayer.

Cue could be 20 years old...or it could have been re-worked and be older...maybe...

Really hard to say. It is a stumper for me as I said.

So many makers are possible...including so many unknown hobbyist makers.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I do agree. I don't think it's very old.

But how old is old?

10-20-30-40 years?

The pin looks "modern". The wrap looks "modern".

Karl Mayer made cues until something like 2003. That's one of the reasons I originally suggested Mayer.

Cue could be 20 years old...or it could have been re-worked and be older...maybe...

Really hard to say. It is a stumper for me as I said.

So many makers are possible...including so many unknown hobbyist makers.

The weight bolt and shaft insert are modern.

Is the brass joint a larger diameter than the maple nose? Looks like some hourglassing.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The weight bolt and shaft insert are modern.

Is the brass joint a larger diameter than the maple nose? Looks like some hourglassing.

I see what you mean. Could be a bit of camera distortion, but that brass joint does look a bit bigger than the nose.

The finish on the forearm looks like lacquer to me, and looks like it has plenty of age patina to it. That would be one reason I don't think this is a very new cue.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I see what you mean. Could be a bit of camera distortion, but that brass joint does look a bit bigger than the nose.

The finish on the forearm looks like lacquer to me, and looks like it has plenty of age patina to it. That would be one reason I don't think this is a very new cue.

All the best,
WW

You can easily duplicate that look with two commercially-available products, and I have done so on old sneakies for guys who wanted them to look less "pretty".

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
And the answer to the question is..........

Conversion bait

Well, technically yes, a conversion. But I see more age on it that some.

Who does a brass joint for a conversion these days? I haven't seen many, though possible. The back end of this cue is pretty beat, at the bottom of the butt plate. It does show some age, as does the forearm.

There are some modern features, but if you're going to do a conversion pretty recently, would you do this? I could see this possibly being a 70s cue.

In the end, I don't think anyone has this nailed down.

All the best,
WW

Last edited: