how are ya'll doing in league ?

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing I heard ...again just rumor from a guy who said he played tap in this area some time ago is that your handicap is locked when you go to tournaments....which leads to sandbagging in my opinion.

I wouldn't be so sure, a guy in our league was at nationals last year in SC, he was a four in 9 ball, he played in the tournament, won, was told that he played like a six and was disqualified...no further explanation than that, but we play on Super 8's and the bar boxes are easier to catch a gear on.

Also, If I am not mistaken APA rankings go all the way to 9, as TAP league only goes to 7, therefore the 4's 5's and 6's have a much larger area to cover.

Finally, the way I read the rules, there are three sessions a year, you play the tournaments at the highest level you achieved in those three sessions or that "year"

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't be so sure, a guy in our league was at nationals last year in SC, he was a four in 9 ball, he played in the tournament, won, was told that he played like a six and was disqualified...no further explanation than that, but we play on Super 8's and the bar boxes are easier to catch a gear on.

Also, If I am not mistaken APA rankings go all the way to 9, as TAP league only goes to 7, therefore the 4's 5's and 6's have a much larger area to cover.

Finally, the way I read the rules, there are three sessions a year, you play the tournaments at the highest level you achieved in those three sessions or that "year"

Thanks for the clarification.....like.i said...what I was told.came from some one who played tap years ago but again ..like I said . I recalled a thread awhile back about rules that have been changed since this hit players.

I happen to know the supposed new lo and I ran into him at a tournament tonight and he said it is true that he is starting a league.

Undecided what nights at this time and I told him I was interested in playing and he said great.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you'd like it, pretty well structured, less slop than APA...payouts aren't very good, but I like the App and I think it keeps the handicaps true.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got coaxed into joining an APA 9-ball team, to which I acquiesced with the following: that I didn't have to ever play.

Seemed interesting in theory. They could benefit from my timeouts; they would buy me beers.

That being said, our team played another team (traveling bar league), and they had another SL-9 that was itching to play me. So, again I acquiesced.

First time in several years for me playing APA 9-ball, but I won 14-6 with an amazing start and finish, but I was really weak in the middle games, giving away a few racks that I think I'm supposed to win.

All told, I had one missed shot early and one really dogged ball fairly late. I had one skid, and two pocket ringers (weird bar table). That's not a whole lot of misses, but it's more than I'm supposed to have if I'm going to be competitive against most other SL-9s.

I shot 5 safeties, 3 of them were good not great, one of them was a lockup, and one is god awful. Again, I can't be doing "good not great" as my average safety if I'm going to be competitive against most other SL-9s

My break was weak to start, as I was on my fourth break before I made an automatic wing. With no push out, I actually never had to kick, but I didn't have a clear shot on all but three of my breaks, one of which I ran out, one had a tricky deuce, and the third I total dogged the first position (and subsequently lead to my duffed safety).

Overall, I give myself a B.

Freddie <~~~ 1-0

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got coaxed into joining an APA 9-ball team, to which I acquiesced with the following: that I didn't have to ever play.

Seemed interesting in theory. They could benefit from my timeouts; they would buy me beers.

That being said, our team played another team (traveling bar league), and they had another SL-9 that was itching to play me. So, again I acquiesced.

First time in several years for me playing APA 9-ball, but I won 14-6 with an amazing start and finish, but I was really weak in the middle games, giving away a few racks that I think I'm supposed to win.

All told, I had one missed shot early and one really dogged ball fairly late. I had one skid, and two pocket ringers (weird bar table). That's not a whole lot of misses, but it's more than I'm supposed to have if I'm going to be competitive against most other SL-9s.

I shot 5 safeties, 3 of them were good not great, one of them was a lockup, and one is god awful. Again, I can't be doing "good not great" as my average safety if I'm going to be competitive against most other SL-9s

My break was weak to start, as I was on my fourth break before I made an automatic wing. With no push out, I actually never had to kick, but I didn't have a clear shot on all but three of my breaks, one of which I ran out, one had a tricky deuce, and the third I total dogged the first position (and subsequently lead to my duffed safety).

Overall, I give myself a B.

Freddie <~~~ 1-0
if you are new, why wouldn't you play as a 4 like everyone else? Of course we know you're a 9, but that's the rule.

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an 8 Skill level in 9 ball APA. I beat another 8, 16 to 4 or 65-33 (This 8 is strong too).

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you are new, why wouldn't you play as a 4 like everyone else? Of course we know you're a 9, but that's the rule.

Paragraph 4. Not my first time. My first APA 8-ball session was in 1988. I've had a few undefeated APA 9- ball sessions, and a few 50/50 sessions.

Freddie <~~~ felt like the first time

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I dont know anything about the hadicaping system in tap but I find it puzzling that tap players on average would be one skill level lower than apa.

I can understand how it could be possible in 9 ball but not 8 ball. Open break in 8 ball makes it easier to rum out. My bcapl handicap was higher than my apa handicap in apa in 8 ball mainly due to a whole lot more break and runs in bcapl.y 9 ball handicap was indeed lower in bcapl than it is in apa.

Another thing I heard ...again just rumor from a guy who said he played tap in this area some time ago is that your handicap is locked when you go to tournaments....which leads to sandbagging in my opinion.

I believe I recall a thread a while back where tap has attempted to curb this problem by players having 2 handicaps. One for regular session and one for tournaments where it seemed they had a problem with players suddenly playing a whole lot better I tournaments than their handicap indicated.

A good friend of mine started a TAP league here locally last year. I don't have the time to play in it, so I don't know a whole lot about it, but from what I can tell, many of the players are indeed about one level lower in TAP than in APA. If I were to ask him, I could get a better handle on it, of course. Many of the players do play in both here.

Seems like an interesting system. Scoring is all electronic. Of course, Rally In The Valley sure sounds like a lot of fun, too. My friend is taking a team there again this year, they had a blast last year.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our team killed it last night, 5-0 in eight ball, 5-0 in nine ball...this should leave us in 1st place in 8 and second in 9 with 12 weeks to go. I won 4-0 in 8 ball and 5-1 in nine ball...all after winning 75 bucks taking the weekly Sunday 8 ball tournament (going undefeated throughout)...great week

kcnate66

C Speed
A good friend of mine started a TAP league here locally last year. I don't have the time to play in it, so I don't know a whole lot about it, but from what I can tell, many of the players are indeed about one level lower in TAP than in APA. If I were to ask him, I could get a better handle on it, of course. Many of the players do play in both here.

Seems like an interesting system. Scoring is all electronic. Of course, Rally In The Valley sure sounds like a lot of fun, too. My friend is taking a team there again this year, they had a blast last year.
I played TAP for many years and was bar none my favorite league. It also helped I had an amazing team, we had an awesome 4 year run where we won the TAP national championship in Vegas, and a 3rd/4th and a 2nd place finish at Rally in the valley. I sprinkled in a 3rd/4th in singles as well.

True that you don't raise handicaps throughout the national tournaments, but what they do is assign a handicap level to each of your matches. If you play two matches in a single tournament that is rated two skill levels about your current level, you are DQed. They do this to give wiggle room that people get in stroke and play well in tournaments because they try harder.

Handicaps are on average about one skill level lower than APA. The league is tougher in my opinion and I hate that its not available in my area that I moved too a couple years ago.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 8 ball.sunday night and won 4-0. Nothing to brag about since I was playing a 3.

However I do want to brag on my team mate who is also a 5. He played 9 ball vs an 8 and won 38-24 for an 18-2 win. How strong is that for a 5? Beats my 17-3 win vs a 7 a few weeks ago that I thought was pretty strong itself.

Now if I could just.get my other 5 out of an 0-8 slump we might could have a kick ass team. He is a new player from another area and I honestly cant understand how he ever became a 5. No matter what level his opponent his he always finds a way to lose..

I have made reference to weak players from other areas who have moved here but he is my far the weakest 5 I have ever seen. A likeable guy so maybe I can work with him and improve his game.

Yea I know ... 5's dont have the knowledge necessary to teach other players but hwy
...i been a 6 four times so that oughta count for something .:grin-square:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We did quite well this week, 5-0 in eight ball and 5-0 in nine ball. I was worried because the team we played had all 2s and 3s and one five...2s and 3s can be hard for 4s and 5s at times just because of the handicap advantage.

I personally won 8 ball 5-0 and 9 ball 5-1. Was a good week.

Only bad note, we may lose our 6 because the team Captain is a horrible strategist, a mediocre player at his best moments, but is one of those guys that argues his pool knowledge is extremely great ( hence...never wrong) so our 6 calls him out on it when he plays three 18 inning games of 9 ball vs a 2...so team captain loses his shit and makes a bunch of bad decisions and remarks...even though he finally won, we will probably end up losing a player because the dude cant take it. Guess we'll find out next Monday how it all turned out.

goombavskoopa

Registered
strong week this week for both of the teams i captain.

Sunday DJ:

8 ball - 8 pts.
9 ball -72pts

Thursday DJ (last night)
8 ball- 10pts
9ball - 48pts.

I've been finding its more and more difficult to build consistancy and keep winning when people dont show up. Our best player on sundays comes and goes as he pleases. It sucks because we rely on him to go get 3-0 shut outs. Plus all my players need plays. I'm not gonna gripe too much because over all we had a good week but I'm having difficulty with these guys not coming when we need them to play. you cant have a 7/9 who has only played twice in eight weeks.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
strong week this week for both of the teams i captain.

Sunday DJ:

8 ball - 8 pts.
9 ball -72pts

Thursday DJ (last night)
8 ball- 10pts
9ball - 48pts.

I've been finding its more and more difficult to build consistancy and keep winning when people dont show up. Our best player on sundays comes and goes as he pleases. It sucks because we rely on him to go get 3-0 shut outs. Plus all my players need plays. I'm not gonna gripe too much because over all we had a good week but I'm having difficulty with these guys not coming when we need them to play. you cant have a 7/9 who has only played twice in eight weeks.

A fee years ago I talked the strongest 7/9 in town into coming back to apa and joining my team. I had the same problem as you in getting him to show up. I can't complain too much as he carried the team on his back through ltc's and we went to vagas. The sad thing is he did not go with us.

I have since changed the makeup of my team to mostly 5's ...a couple of 4's and a couple of 3's. . I can play 4- 5's and a 3 which I think is a strong team when all of us 5's are on.

I won 18-2 vs a 6 last night. Heck of a game for me. Another 5 beat a 4 by 16-4. My other 2-5's both lost to 2's last night. After a bunch of ribbing from me ....good natured of course ...i confessed that I also had lost to a 2 last Monday night lol.

We wound up winning 57-43 even though we lost 3 out if 5 matches. Both of the 5's that lost to 2's are usually pretty decent players I mentioned in my last post that one of them had beaten an 8 Las week by 18-2.. Then he loses to a 2 last night....lol :grin-square:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won my 8 ball singles and double Wednesday Night. 8 ball is still a struggle for me.

My 9 ball league last night. I played a 5 and beat him 17-3. I'm like 14 out of 16 in 9 ball. I have to go up soon. I don't want to be a 5 forever and feel like I am playing my best pool.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been a couple years since I played in a league. I may just start up again. Business keeps me rushing all the time, but I need to slow down. Playing with a bunch of great guys (players too) is always something to look forward too, each week.

Good Post

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I won my 8 ball singles and double Wednesday Night. 8 ball is still a struggle for me.

My 9 ball league last night. I played a 5 and beat him 17-3. I'm like 14 out of 16 in 9 ball. I have to go up soon. I don't want to be a 5 forever and feel like I am playing my best pool.

Dude...you have a pretty good run in 9 ball going on. I am in the same situation as you regarding my wins in 8 vs 9. 70% in 9 and have finally hit 50% in 8 due to a couple of easy matches after having lower levels thrown at me.

I'm quite surprised I have not gone up in 9 also . Guess its the number of innings averaged in my matches. A few wins have been low innings...such as last nights win 38-16 vs a 6 in 10 innings with one safe by me.

I have been a 6 four times in 9 ball and while I enjoy the status of getting past being a s/l 5 banger I find its pretty hard to spot other darn good 5's an extra 8 points and I wind up being lowered ...again .

Just enjoy the winning streak you got going on.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
After my one match in APA 9-ball a couple of weeks ago, the team's SL-2 went up to an SL-3, and now I can't play.

Freddie <~~~ and that's that

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a 6 four times in 9 ball and while I enjoy the status of getting past being a s/l 5 banger I find its pretty hard to spot other darn good 5's an extra 8 points and I wind up being lowered ...again .

Just enjoy the winning streak you got going on.

I have went up to a 6 a couple of times also. Each time was during the playoffs. It use to bother me having to make the extra balls. But I have been playing so good lately. I don't I would be on the bubble anymore. I keep hoping my league updates the APA site soon so I can see what I am. Fingers Crossed. You have been on a pretty good streak too. Keep up the good work Buddy.