Jacoby - a step up?

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I do have a Joss and a Schon ... and I know it's all very subjective ... but do you folks consider the Jacoby a step up from the Schon?

Ched

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're asking a question that is, as you alluded to, subjective. However, in this case almost purely subjective Ie, which color is aesthetically most appealing. Only a shrink could answer that and one that is purely an amateur pool player since no professional player cares about it a measure of performance. Of the three cues you mentioned there is little to no difference. All are excellent, as are 10-20 others in their category. Only custom cues can become a level "up" and then only because they can be made to individual preferences. Few, if any cue makers can afford to buy precise machinery necessary to manufacture cues that quality mass production manufactures can. Example: Sharp points don't make a cue better than one with round points. It can make it more appealing to some than others. My recommendation is continue to buy all the cues you are interested in and the pool related products that interest you, that are affordable. Makes whatever you're interested in excitable and allows those who do it best make a living doing it. Wisdom will tell you there isn't a cue ever to be made that will enable you to be a "better" pool player than the three you mentioned. Only talent, and dedication can do that. PS-I've owned hundreds.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're asking a question that is, as you alluded to, subjective. However, in this case almost purely subjective Ie, which color is aesthetically most appealing. Only a shrink could answer that and one that is purely an amateur pool player since no professional player cares about it a measure of performance. Of the three cues you mentioned there is little to no difference. All are excellent, as are 10-20 others in their category. Only custom cues can become a level "up" and then only because they can be made to individual preferences. Few, if any cue makers can afford to buy precise machinery necessary to manufacture cues that quality mass production manufactures can. Example: Sharp points don't make a cue better than one with round points. It can make it more appealing to some than others. My recommendation is continue to buy all the cues you are interested in and the pool related products that interest you, that are affordable. Makes whatever you're interested in excitable and allows those who do it best make a living doing it. Wisdom will tell you there isn't a cue ever to be made that will enable you to be a "better" pool player than the three you mentioned. Only talent, and dedication can do that. PS-I've owned hundreds.

The inherent nature of how spliced points are made could lead to a more stable forearm. Kind of in the way radially laminated shafts or something like Viking-a ExactShot. It also lends a larger gluing surface than an inlaid point. That's for solid wood forearms. Less of a concern with the more modern cores forearms....

Other than that, price don't mean much if it don't play well for you. So try one out first if possible, or pick up a used one you can flip....

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm...interesting question. I think in terms of playability and overall quality they are equal and both very good. I have owned and enjoyed cues from both makers and have had great experience dealing with each.

Schon does what Schon does incredibly well and I like the style of their cues overall. They don't have a huge breadth of stylistic offerings, they pretty much stick to their variations on a central theme.

Jacoby will do just about anything you can imagine. From a design and construction perspective I do think they're a step up in options. If you want a sharp point traditional four pointer they can do that. Some crazy butterfly spliced wrapless with tons of inlays, they can do that too. They don't really specialize in anything but they do everything pretty well.

Schon has a killer reputation for solid playing cues at a good price. Jacoby I think is a little underrate by many. After multiple visits to their shop and playing and examining a bunch of cues I think they really do an incredible job. The fact that they make a lot of cues and don't really specialize in any way I think hurts them in the public perception.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have a Joss and a Schon ... and I know it's all very subjective ... but do you folks consider the Jacoby a step up from the Schon?

Ched

There will be a variety of opinions with a variety of reasoning.

To me, moving between any of these three brands is essentially a lateral move.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO its a lateral shift. I've seen newer Schons(last 2-3yrs) that aren't nearly as well finished as they used to be. Ferrule-to-shaft join line and buttcap-to-sleeve join lines have not been flush on a few of them. They still play fine but since Evan left they just aren't the same. Again, my $.02 here. Your mileage may differ.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had both, equal in quality and play. Both very well made. The Gold Standard for production cues, and maybe cues in general. Pay more, you are just buying bling.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Thank you all for your input. I do like the fact that nobody bashes any of the makers here. (with one possible exception).

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO its a lateral shift. I've seen newer Schons(last 2-3yrs) that aren't nearly as well finished as they used to be. Ferrule-to-shaft join line and buttcap-to-sleeve join lines have not been flush on a few of them. They still play fine but since Evan left they just aren't the same. Again, my $.02 here. Your mileage may differ.

That may seem to be the case, I know of another company in sort of the same situation...
Having said that, I have seen plenty of Jacoby cues with gluelines around the inlays, I guess it`s just one of those things that happen when your a semi production cue company, It`s hard to maintain that 1 cue at the time philosophy when business picks up and you need to hire more people etc.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the style cues of jacobys but in my opinion blind folded I wouldn't tell a difference from a McDermott that's a lot less cash! Sticking with this price point of jacobys/schons I'd prefer a pechaur.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I don't think Jacoby is a step up from either a schon or a joss. I'd rather have either one personally.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The inherent nature of how spliced points are made could lead to a more stable forearm. Kind of in the way radially laminated shafts or something like Viking-a ExactShot. It also lends a larger gluing surface than an inlaid point. That's for solid wood forearms. Less of a concern with the more modern cores forearms....

Other than that, price don't mean much if it don't play well for you. So try one out first if possible, or pick up a used one you can flip....

Indeed.

But even then not all cores are equal. Most are just a straight glued in dowel.

This is what's inside a modern Joss:

https://josscues.com/the-joss-way/cue-making-the-joss-way-today/

Core-frontrear-610x189.jpg

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That may seem to be the case, I know of another company in sort of the same situation...
Having said that, I have seen plenty of Jacoby cues with gluelines around the inlays, I guess it`s just one of those things that happen when your a semi production cue company, It`s hard to maintain that 1 cue at the time philosophy when business picks up and you need to hire more people etc.

There are three people in the Joss shop. Dan Janes, Stephen Janes, and one other employee.

51Breakshot

Registered
I play with a Schon that one could say is relatively fancy, 1k price range, abalone inlays with cocobolo. However in it's stock shaft configuration, it would be a difficult player without a LD shaft upgrade - I've used multiple shafts with it, from OB to Bd SS360 to Mezz WD700, which I like the best.

Now considering that, a similarly priced Jacoby would probably already have the H edge shaft, which is a pretty decent LD shaft, and would probably feature more intricate inlays, etc.

So, in terms of performance and value, I do think it's a step up.

In terms of workmanship, I'd say its very close...

Sent from mobile Android via Tapatalk

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good choices, but I think to are focused on the back end, you might want to look more at the business end.... the shaft and ferrule. While i often play with my Joss's or Adams, I almost exclusively play with an OB XL shaft . So the hit of each different butt or pin type is normally a small issue.