Has Any U.S Tour Tried 15B Rotation

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Has any tour even tried this? If viewers will sit through 1-hole and 14.1, they would sit through 15 ball rotation (with the 15B being the money ball). Johnnyt

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has any tour even tried this? If viewers will sit through 1-hole and 14.1, they would sit through 15 ball rotation (with the 15B being the money ball). Johnnyt

I don't know if it's been tried yet, Johnny, but I don't think it would be a hit in the U.S.
One-hole is exciting because you never know how a player might approach a situation.
Straight pool can be full of surprises when a player tries a different pattern or cleverly manufactures a break ball.

Quite frankly, 15 ball is predictable. You make the ball, then get shape on the next. Not too exciting really.
Now, one can certainly add the element of playing-from-the-kitchen on fouls, but again,
you know darn well what will happen and what the player is attempting to do--90% of the time.

Just my opinion though.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend and I long time ago came up with "rotation-one pocket", which played like one pocket but the lowest ball had to be hit first; combos, caroms, and such count as in rotation. Made it interesting because breaking up clusters didn't usually mean selling-out. Got bored of it after 2 games....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rotation is a points game. 61 points wins(120 points in rack).

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend and I long time ago came up with "rotation-one pocket", which played like one pocket but the lowest ball had to be hit first; combos, caroms, and such count as in rotation. Made it interesting because breaking up clusters didn't usually mean selling-out. Got bored of it after 2 games....

Did the 2 games last two months. :smile:

Capt D

Registered
I am personally a fan of the rotation games as well as 14.1, not a big one pocked fan. From what I've seen since I started playing again is that I do like the idea of American rotation and the point system. Just not a big fan of ball in hand after the break.

Dallas

JeremiahGage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15-ball rotation is tough and will surely push the limits on people's ability to run racks, possibly making it more interesting to watch than 9-ball at least. I like watching 1-pocket because of the creativity of the players, but rotation games don't have nearly as much strategy. Essentially, if you don't have a shot, then play safe.

I believe American Rotation is the most similar to what you are asking. There have been a few seasons of AR in Denver, but it's too early to tell if it will stick.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Joe's Rotation got too far out there, but it's too far from my local to even hear about what happened. Playing an old game a different way isn't beneath me, lord only knows how many ways I've played 8-ball.

bear0478

Always learning..........
Silver Member
15 ball Rotation.......

I think it's a great idea. 15-ball rotation is fun, fast paced and quite a thinking game when played by decent to high-level players.

I've played a lot of different types of rotation games in the Philippines and when you get into it.......it's quite enjoyable. There are good hooks, banks and an element of luck that comes into the game which makes it fun and good for gambling.

I'm a bit of a hack with moments of greatness and I've beaten some pretty sporty/good players due to the luck element that can come into play when you make a "hit and hope" type shot.

I've also played different kinds of "61 point" games both in South America and the Philippines. Each location having a different name for the game but the rules are essentially the same. I actually like it more than One-Pocket even though similarities in strategy over which route to take; shot making or safety play become deciding factors in the game. I guess it comes down to how aggressive a player is, or wants to play.

I truly think that is why different areas in the world have players far superior to standard "8 or 9 ball players" that you see in western civilizations. (using this term very broadly, I know.....but you get my point).

I think it comes down to a player wanting to further his/her skills and abilities by knowing and being good at any/all games played on a pool-table. Hence why the likes of Efren, Alex, Bustamante and Orcullo can jump in the box with anyone; anywhere and be a force.

I'm surprised some of these games haven't made more of an impact on American soil because of how fun and challenging they are compared to some of the more widely standardized games.

Just my two cents.........

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rotation is a great pool game and a real test for serious players. There is nothing wrong with good old 61 point Rotation. I'd love to see at least one tourney a year playing this game. It's got all the moves and shot making that we like to see. Just like in One Pocket and 14.1 you will quickly find out who the best players are! It has long been the national game in the Philippines. That's one reason they excel at 9-Ball and Ten Ball, much easier games than Rotation. We all know Efren has been the best One Pocket player for decades, but did you know he also was the best Rotation player for an even longer period of time. He was numero uno in the Philippines for nearly forty years!

Last edited: