Intentional Fouls in League

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone in a VNEA league ever intentionally foul? For instance, if you can't pocket a ball, and your opponent is on the 8, you intentionally hit the 8 ball and lock it up on a rail with one of your balls to where even with ball in hand they're not going to make it.

Is this allowed? Is it frowned upon? Would you do it to win a match regardless of who it pisses off? I've often thought about it, but haven't had the guts to do it yet.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Intentional Foul

Anyone in a VNEA league ever intentionally foul? For instance, if you can't pocket a ball, and your opponent is on the 8, you intentionally hit the 8 ball and lock it up on a rail with one of your balls to where even with ball in hand they're not going to make it.

Is this allowed? Is it frowned upon? Would you do it to win a match regardless of who it pisses off? I've often thought about it, but haven't had the guts to do it yet.

No, it's not allowed...in the sense that it is a foul, and the penalty is ball in hand.

But it's not an uncommon move, and has won many a big game in serious competition. It's just one of a long list of defensive maneuvers that can give the shooter the advantage.

Think of IFs like a "sacrifice" bunt in baseball. The batter will be "out", but will have improved his team's chance to score a run.

In some league systems, you can actually win the match on a foul. That's one kind of "intentional" foul that I think needs to be re-examined.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
It may work like that in league, but I wouldn't do something like that in a casual money game. I know that wasn't the scope of your question, but as a former bouncer and someone who put some food on the table by playing in money games, it's a great way to get the butt end of a house cue whistling towards your teeth.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would do it in a heartbeat. I rarely play anybody that isn't serious about their games so most of my matches whether for fun or money are intense. My opponent usually appreciates a good safe and I can appreciate when my opponent hands me a truly evil safe. I would do it in league play for sure. I play league to win. You can play intense and still be congenial.

Last edited:

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I think the difference in congeniality often has to do with the BAC of the guy you're playing (and his propensity to engage in fisticuffs). It's usually the drunken fool who doesn't appreciate the finer points of play who causes a problem. LOL

iroll253

Registered
Being in my 20's and mostly playing guys in their 50s or older for money in my local bars, i've pissed a lot of people off taking money off foul safety's. They mainly play straight 8 which is even worse for them mostly lol.