"The Stone-Faced Assassin" 226 and out!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stalev's run was 224, not 226.

He started his run at a score of (-1), and Davis also was at (-1).

Then he ran 10 full racks (140 points) plus 11 balls from the 11th rack for the "151 and out" that gave him the game score of 150 - (-1).

He continued, running the remaining 3 balls from the 11th rack plus 5 more full racks, i.e., an additional 73 balls.

Total run: 151 + 73 = 224.

Or, just view it as 16 full racks at 14 balls each = 224. He missed the break shot for the 17th rack.

Many people talked about it as 225 or 226 at the time, and were still doing so this year during the 2015 event.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Watched the run again last night, and agree with his Nickname "The Stone Faced Assassin" he plays great.

kept track of the run, and i agree that the run is 224 balls. he ran 16 full racks and missed the breakshot at the start of the 17th rack.

-Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This run was 151, followed by a practice run of 73. It was 151 and out, an impressive feat. The world record in competition remains Appleton's 200 in the semifinals against Bustamante in 2013.

It was a nice, though hardly technically brilliant, run. Stalev's resourcefulness, however, was both admirable and memorable.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I've been wanting to see this. Does anyone know what was done with the video from last years event? I only got to see the final day.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
This run was 151, followed by a practice run of 73. It was 151 and out, an impressive feat. The world record in competition remains Appleton's 200 in the semifinals against Bustamante in 2013.

It was a nice, though hardly technically brilliant, run. Stalev's resourcefulness, however, was both admirable and memorable.

you are 100 % correct sir, on all accounts !!

-Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member

the run stands at 151 & out. when the game was over at 150 Stalev asked to continue because this was his personal high run (what a stage to break it) John Schmidt even racked for him going forward and egged him on with some banter in between racks.

-Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well, maybe but ......don't tell Jayson and don't tell Mika that he was not in a competition when he missed at 225.

Yup, those were nice exhibition runs, and, therefore, fall in the same category as Mosconi's 526, which also did not occur in tournament play.

I'd be happy to tell either of them that their runs did not occur in competition, only in qualifying. If you don't have an opponent, you're not in competition.

If 14.1 were the main discipline played today, I feel strongly that Babe Cranfield's practice run record of 768 would be topped. They shoot so straight today it is scary!

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Yup, those were nice exhibition runs, and, therefore, fall in the same category as Mosconi's 526, which also did not occur in tournament play.

I'd be happy to tell either of them that their runs did not occur in competition, only in qualifying. If you don't have an opponent, you're not in competition.

Stu: I meant don't tell them because it is not true.They were in competition.

We had this discussion several months ago, and we disagreed then, too. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=393249&highlight=competition

No need to repeat all your arguments here unless you feel like .......

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The balls don't always allow for "technical brilliance".

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
The balls don't always allow for "technical brilliance".

Not that I can run as many that Stelev did, but there were several occasions where he made it harder than it was !!!

So I agree that it wasn't a very technical run, and thus proved that there are many mays to run a rack !!!

Steve

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Wow that table played easier than anything I have around here (9-foot)! I might be able to run 20 on it!