Glue not holding on black ferrule.

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been doing tips locally for 30 years and never had this problem.
Kamui black super soft tip.
Player has a black ferrule ( either ABS or PVC). I have tried Loctite glue, gel and 401 and tip still comes loose from ferrule after a couple weeks. Glues were not old. Cue is not abused or left in weather.
I have not tried a 2-part epoxy but that look like next step.
Anybody else had this or possible solution?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have been doing tips locally for 30 years and never had this problem.
Kamui black super soft tip.
Player has a black ferrule ( either ABS or PVC). I have tried Loctite glue, gel and 401 and tip still comes loose from ferrule after a couple weeks. Glues were not old. Cue is not abused or left in weather.
I have not tried a 2-part epoxy but that look like next step.
Anybody else had this or possible solution?

It could be PP or a different plastic. Get a black juma ferrule and it will glue beautifully.

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not my cue and I can't force the owner to spend money to replace ferrule although I suggested ferrule change. I don't do ferrules so ferrule and shipping both ways.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
some plastic ferrules do not take glue well......... change the ferrule.......... I had one like that..... put 2 tips on it and both popped off.......... the second time I just changed the ferrule and didn't even tell him......... oh well......... just chalk it up to experience...........

Kim

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Try thin CA and accelerator.
I wouldn't change the ferrule w/out the owner's permission b/c you will be changing the hit .
Worse, I don't like donating labor and parts. Or opening a can of worms.
What if the tenon is crooked? Or has some strange metric threads ?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try thin CA and accelerator.
I wouldn't change the ferrule w/out the owner's permission b/c you will be changing the hit .
Worse, I don't like donating labor and parts. Or opening a can of worms.
What if the tenon is crooked? Or has some strange metric threads ?
A Kamui is $20 a pop. If r9ball is paying for the tips, replacing the ferrule is a small price to pay.
And how is metric threads strange ? :grin-square:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have also run into ferrules that wouldn't stick to glue - e.g. Athena (Asian) cue. After about 3 popoffs I replaced the ferrule with an Ivorex and no problems after that. Customer didn't notice any difference - I mean, playing with an Athena cue you wouldn't expect them to.
So, do you mind saying what brand cue it is?
And then, there's always the lingering question - "What glue did/does the manufacturer use that, in fact, does adhere to the ferrule material so well?"
Gary

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
A Kamui is $20 a pop. If r9ball is paying for the tips, replacing the ferrule is a small price to pay.

Changing the ferrule vs changing the ferrule without consent are two different things. I would let the player know what's up and that the ferrule needs to be changed if he wants the tip to stay on.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not exactly strange but problematic?

If one is going to change a ferrule without permission, then one might just change from threaded to non threaded and not care. However, normally, there is an attempt to maintain a specific ferrule design when changing out a ferrule. So...

If you use heat to remove the ferrule and it comes off cleanly with good threads, how will you thread a ferrule in your inventory for metric? Most cuesmiths don't have a set of metric taps for ferrule prep. I use live tooling to cut threads. I can do metric, but it requires changing a few gears. A bit of a pain.

If the threads don't come out cleanly for whatever reason, you likely won't have a metric compression die to attempt to clean them up. Get a pick and try and dig out glue? I often pick up the threads so they come out as clean as they were when the first ferrule was put on. Again, metric would still be a pain and might not be as easy to identify.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Changing the ferrule vs changing the ferrule without consent are two different things. I would let the player know what's up and that the ferrule needs to be changed if he wants the tip to stay on.

Yes, of course I would talk with the customer first.

Not exactly strange but problematic?

If one is going to change a ferrule without permission, then one might just change from threaded to non threaded and not care. However, normally, there is an attempt to maintain a specific ferrule design when changing out a ferrule. So...

If you use heat to remove the ferrule and it comes off cleanly with good threads, how will you thread a ferrule in your inventory for metric? Most cuesmiths don't have a set of metric taps for ferrule prep. I use live tooling to cut threads. I can do metric, but it requires changing a few gears. A bit of a pain.

If the threads don't come out cleanly for whatever reason, you likely won't have a metric compression die to attempt to clean them up. Get a pick and try and dig out glue? I often pick up the threads so they come out as clean as they were when the first ferrule was put on. Again, metric would still be a pain and might not be as easy to identify.
I was kinda joking. Here in Europe we use the Metric system and I prefer that system, but since all pool cues use imperial threads, I use imperial taps and screws, but I do have matric tap sets too.

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, of course I would talk with the customer first.

I was kinda joking. Here in Europe we use the Metric system and I prefer that system, but since all pool cues use imperial threads, I use imperial taps and screws, but I do have matric tap sets too.

You know...if I had noticed the Oslo, I would have gotten it immediately. :eek:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Ryan,
I'm not trying to condone changing the ferrule without permission - in retrospect it was wrong - but I've heard a player say to another "Your tip popped off? Does that cue guy know what he's doing?" Some players seem to understand that stuff happens and others are like the guy above. I'm not sure how successful it would be to try to explain that the ferrule material is at fault and it's going to cost the player more money. How do you respond to "Well, the other tip has been on there for two years." It's a tough position to be in.
Which falls back to my question above - What DID the manufacturer use to glue that tip on that lasted for years?
Anyway, not trying to argue, just wondering what you and others think.
Gary

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Which falls back to my question above - What DID the manufacturer use to glue that tip on that lasted for years?
Gary

I bet they have a 55-gallon drum of some kind of shipbuilding/aerospace adhesive or other ludicrous material in China.

r9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft fits a Viking but not sure who made it. Looking down on the tenon, it seems to be 6 piece pie shape.
I have some CA coming so we'll see what happens.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I've been using black linen based micarta ferrules for 30 years, never had a problem. Perhaps try this material, fabulous hit.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
Hey Ryan,
I'm not trying to condone changing the ferrule without permission - in retrospect it was wrong - but I've heard a player say to another "Your tip popped off? Does that cue guy know what he's doing?" Some players seem to understand that stuff happens and others are like the guy above. I'm not sure how successful it would be to try to explain that the ferrule material is at fault and it's going to cost the player more money. How do you respond to "Well, the other tip has been on there for two years." It's a tough position to be in.
Gary

The only thing to do is be honest with the player. Yes, you could change the ferrule to a different material and the player may never know. Does that make it ok? IMO, that is lying by omission. In this instance, if I put a tip on and it popped off more than once, I would change the ferrule, no charge, after discussing it with the player.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've been using black linen based micarta ferrules for 30 years, never had a problem. Perhaps try this material, fabulous hit.

Too heavy and too hard for most .
Juma makes a black ferrule.
I don't see a good reason for black ferrules though.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Too heavy and too hard for most .

Juma makes a black ferrule.

I don't see a good reason for black ferrules though.

It's an acquired taste. I'm lining up on a white cue ball, clearer definition with black than with a ferrule the same color as the cue ball.
EDIT- additionally my ferrules never turn blue. I find Juma too soft for my taste.

Last edited: