The Billiards Channel: a thought experiment

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine that sometime in the future, cue sports is enjoying the same level of mass appeal as golf, football and baseball. A new TV network called The Billiards Channel is in the works. As a TV network executive, what kind of original content/shows (that is, excluding regular tournament coverage) would you wanna put in the channel?

Here's some of mine:

- a travel series hosted by a famous player, like the recent "Ronnie O'Sullivan's American Hustle". Maybe have Earl or Shane go to the UK and have them play snooker against the top amateurs and some pros.
- a reality TV show about a group of hustlers trying to make it into the big leagues.
- a TV show on the history of cue sports and the great players of the past.
- a TV show hosted by a famous player interviewing other players, industry figures and the like, kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3C4kDRaKF8
- An American pool player goes to the Philippines to visit various pool halls to understand first-hand what makes Filipinos great at this game.

Last edited:

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two pool players, wearing flip-flops, playing one of the biggest US event, in a dark pool room, arguing about the rack because there is no referee, Danny DiLiberto commentating on a 480p stream, thanking the great sponsors...

TV audience will love it.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
This is sort of how I see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgkThdzX-8

Imagine that sometime in the future, cue sports is enjoying the same level of mass appeal as golf, football and baseball. A new TV network called The Billiards Channel is in the works. As a TV network executive, what kind of original content/shows (that is, excluding regular tournament coverage) would you wanna put in the channel?

Here's some of mine:

- a travel series hosted by a famous player, like the recent "Ronnie O'Sullivan's American Hustle". Maybe have Earl or Shane go to the UK and have them play snooker against the top amateurs and some pros.
- a reality TV show about a group of hustlers trying to make it into the big leagues.
- a TV show hosted by a famous player interviewing other players, industry figures and the like, kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3C4kDRaKF8
- An American pool player goes to the Philippines to visit various pool halls to understand first-hand what makes Filipinos great at this game.

CCCue

Registered
I think a reality type show would work. Look at all the reality shows out there now so why not one involving pool?

Lots of possibilities- two teams playing matches each week to narrow field to one who plays against pro for a cash prize. Add colorful players and pro captains.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here's some of mine:

Hell, just secure sponsorship from RKC's new "wonder" glue and you got it made.

drlouis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a "pool newbie" (grew up on a table of unknown make/size/age - cushions dead? Who knows?? and only leveled with a 4' Carpenters level, but haven't played in the last 25 years) what I'd like to see is a show aimed at new players with various skill levels of instructional material. Format something like: here is a skill, here's how it's useful, here's how to do it, here's a drill to practice, and here are some high level games illustrating how this skill was used in high level play. If the quality was good I'd pay a monthly subscription for something like that. They could change it up sometimes with feature episodes where they go in depth into a specific game (8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool etc), or a specific player, past or present.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here's some of mine:

Did John Lennon write this?

AngryTurtle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the tour of the Philippines. I have always liked to watch the Philippine money matches on Youtube not only for the pool, but for the atmosphere.

I think that a pool hall around the world show would be a great show.