Question on discussing pros

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do some of you think it's so bad to talk about pros and their performance?

If someone comments Johnny Archer is annoying cause he picks lent constantly or Berreta is slow, or someone played bad at the Mosconni cup, why shouldn't we talk about it, on a pool forum ??

Those of you who are against saying anything negative about a pro, do ya'll hate Yelp as well???
That is an honest sincere question!

When someone leaves a negative comment on a friends business page or on your own, do you respond the same way as in the Shot Clock thread.?

I have been criticized and critiqued in just about every job field by at least one person, I can't remember ever getting so triggered by someone's honest opinion.

Trying to see where the other side is coming from.
Thanks

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an example I have a friend who does construction, if someone said he was slow, or rude, or whatever on yelp. I would never get on yelp and respond with something like "haters got to hate", or "you should be grateful for such a great person working on your house"

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If someone comments Johnny Archer is annoying cause he picks lent constantly or Berreta is slow, or someone played bad at the Mosconni cup, why shouldn't we talk about it, on a pool forum ??

Those of you who are against saying anything negative about a pro, do ya'll hate Yelp as well???

Its OK to comment that a pro plays "slow", etc, but since very few of us here play at pro speed, we should stop short of saying what they do "wrong"....because we are not qualified to go there....

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would look at the direction those comments take. Are they fair? Accurate? Informed? Are they rude? Are they motivated by a bigoted bias? Do they go on to make sweeping generalizations? Are they any merit to the
billiards industry?

Keep in mind this isn’t Yelp. Reviews are mostly one-way communications. A forum is a place of discussion. If someone says something tasteless they should be prepared to face criticism. That response of derision is part of the conversation. If someone doesn’t like that reaction to their words, perhaps they should seek out more constructive contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair we all pick apart our NFL or MLB players and we don't play ball at that level! We sometimes rip on those guys just because of the city they play in!

JC

Coos Cues
This is how you know for sure pool falls short of a professional sport. Internet hacks can say stuff about the players and it means something.

Have any of you read a real professional sport discussion board? No one there can throw a ball but they tear the players to shreds. No one takes it personal.

Pool is mom and pop.

JC

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there's some confusion over the presence of spectators and the application on the term "spectator sport".

In most cases, the only thing paying their bills is their performance, so, they're going to focus on that and do what they have to do.

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is how you know for sure pool falls short of a professional sport. Internet hacks can say stuff about the players and it means something.

Have any of you read a real professional sport discussion board? No one there can throw a ball but they tear the players to shreds. No one takes it personal.

Pool is mom and pop.

JC
Excellent point

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

When someone leaves a negative comment on a friends business page or on your own, do you respond the same way as in the Shot Clock thread.?

I have been criticized and critiqued in just about every job field by at least one person, I can't remember ever getting so triggered by someone's honest opinion.

Thanks

I don’t see anything wrong with discussing another pool player...good or bad.
....although all pros and cons should be loyal to veracity.
After all, this is part of AZ’s raison d’être.

But remember it’s a two-way street you’re walking on.....:D
...you spelled Jennifer and Willie’s family names wrong.....:angry:
What the hell is wrong with you?
...Did your family have to burn down the school to get you out of grade four?

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:
pt....feels better now

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will criticize slow play. Slow play is the killer of pool. Who wants to watch paint dry?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will criticize slow play. Slow play is the killer of pool. Who wants to watch paint dry?

'paint dry' Such an original and clever metaphor- You know who wants to watch the slow players?The ones sitting around their tables. You think Kid Delicious didn't have 2x (on average) the spectators than 90% of the other tables?

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
'paint dry' Such an original and clever metaphor- You know who wants to watch the slow players?The ones sitting around their tables. You think Kid Delicious didn't have 2x (on average) the spectators than 90% of the other tables?

My all time least favorite person to watch, really nice guy though
Something about how he pops his neck bothers me, I couldn't explain it, kinda like nails on a chalkboard .
I have a bad neck and back so I shpuld be more understanding

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
As an example I have a friend who does construction, if someone said he was slow, or rude, or whatever on yelp. I would never get on yelp and respond with something like "haters got to hate", or "you should be grateful for such a great person working on your house"
"This tape joint looks like crap." "Can you do better?"
"Want to have a spackle competition?" Lol
Same thing.
To be fair we all pick apart our NFL or MLB players and we don't play ball at that level! We sometimes rip on those guys just because of the city they play in!
Exactly. I've said the same thing. It destroys the argument.
Also, there are MANY great coaches that never sniffed playing professionally.

Pool is mom and pop.

JC
Haha so true.

Agree 100%
True but.....
Kid has got personality.
Pool needs MUCH more of those type players.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Since you singled out my post, I suppose I have to reply.

Your premise is incorrect, and you didn't follow what I was saying. So, your whole thread attempt wasn't really worth replying. Sad thing is that the same thing on this happened in the other thread: people jumped on the incorrect premise.

I could give a rat's ass if people put their opinions down about pro players. I don't know her and I'm not her fanboy. Never was. But when the conversation goes to "she's 50 masquerading as a 19 year old," or even that she plays "excruciatingly slow," even YOU should raise eyebrows at that. If you read it, that is.

I have zero against the OP 9andout. I wholly disagree that Jennifer is "excruciating slow," and can't find nor can ever remember even thinking she was a slow player, considering how many other slow players we can choose from. Maybe he caught her on a bad match, but I put so many other people miles slower than she is that it's not even close. Enough other people said the same thing, even posters who never saw her, so they actually went to Youtube and watched. Guess the news? Not slow.

But, the beatdown kept coming. Did you or have you actually watched JB play??? There are enough matches to see. If you've watched any amount of pool and have any kind of experience in this game, surely you wouldn't even put her in the top 10% of slow players.

So, by this thread, you must then agree that she's excruciating slow (which seems unbelievable at this point), and that you're okay with the disparaging remarks that aren't even part of the conversation about slow play.

So, go ahead and make up more stuff. That's what the internet loves to do. Your analogy about YELP... those that didn't reply are busy laughing at the nonsense.

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could give a rat's ass if people put their opinions down about pro players
It seems like you care a ton, tbh
So, by this thread, you must then agree that she's excruciating slow (which seems unbelievable at this point), and that you're okay with the disparaging remarks that aren't even part of the conversation about slow play.
that's quite the leap, but ok

So, go ahead and make up more stuff. That's what the internet loves to do. Your analogy about YELP... those that didn't reply are busy laughing at the nonsense.
why so hostile? If I am mistaking that you are upset, my apologies.
What do you feel that I made up?

Sorry for trying to understand a different perspective

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Thanks

Meh...I think it's good that fans discuss the pros, it shows someone is interested. But it kind of depends a bit. If you go out of your way to criticise someone for something that is not relevant to their playing: "So and so is a cheap bastard", or "so and so is ugly" etc..Then I don't think that belongs on the forum. If a person plays slowly, it is not wrong to point that out. It is an easily verifiable fact and an observation that is fair to make. It is also fair to say that you don't like it. That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. You may have to defend that opinion and others may not agree, but this is a discussion forum and that's what it's for.

You risk making yourself look very stupid when you say pros "can't play" and other general, negative observations like that. It's kind of like when a 500 pound guy criticises an athlete for not being fast enough or whatever. You will also be called on to show your own skills a lot...

There is a lot of shenanigans going on in pool right now. People are rigging racks, throwing games, playing slow and doing all sorts of unethical stuff. If true, they should be called on it! If not, people should stand up for them. People on here are very well informed. If someone is blatantly lying or making stuff up, they're usually found out pretty quickly. When something like that happens, I'd wish it had consequences for that persons forum status, as well.

Oh, and I do hate Yelp. Why do I want to read the whining of some idiotic malcontent? Some people should never leave their house.

Last edited:

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It got the point across didn't it?

Are you actually trying to persuade me into watching slow players? :rolleyes:

Slow play has to be fixed if you want pool to go somewhere other than skid row. If not, the six people sitting around "the table" will have to open up their wallets a tad wider.