Never going to another Super Billiards Expo.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
"So what that he proved he paid."

Imagine that, from a pool player, paying for something and proving it.

golly....hang him.

Jeff Livingston

Jeff,

As I posted earlier, as soon as you enter the event each day, your hand or wrist is stamped with a different color ink each day. If the OP did not enter the event site on the day his problem occurred, he has no leg to stand on. Most all employees at the "gate" know me and I still have to show my badge each day. No sympathy from me.

Lyn

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
So what that he proved he paid. He DIDN'T prove that he didn't give his badge away to someone so they could get in free. And since we are dealing with pool players . . .

It is a constant source of amusement, in these rants, to tug on the thread and see that at the heart of it is the ranter screwing up in some way and then rather than just accepting responsibility for their screw-up gets all butt-hurt and blames other people.

In the case of the OP, while he managed to stop just short of 'don't they know who I am?' the sense of entitlement is palpable with all the prelude of how much money he spends there. How much, exactly, do you have to spend to be able to ignore the rules everyone else follows?

This^^^^^^ and what Cardiac says above me.

Yes, crappy situation, but the reasons pointed out for not letting him in for free are very understandable.

He has no leg to stand on in this case.

I'm not saying I don't feel bad for the OP here, I do, and I hope he changes his mind about going back after he reads these comments and calms down.
Jason

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading everyone's comments, my .02 cents is sbe is not setup as well as it could be.

Saw someone mention try going to a sporting event or concert, and you won't be able to get in if you forgot your tickets, that's not really true either at least in the cases I have seen. There are some venues that arent setup to scan pdf barcodes and such, but most places that are remotely up to date, there shouldn't be a problem getting in without your tickets.
https://www.quora.com/If-I-show-email-of-ticket-purchase-will-I-be-let-into-a-concert
This isn't 1980

Sounds like rookies running sbe, at least in terms of technology and planning!!!

The fact that they don't have peoples badges pre printed and ready, is a bit ridiculous, just shitty management/at least compared to other events

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been going for over 15 years .. thats the first time that has ever happened with badges. They had a new printer and they screwed up. It’s not rookies running it but They do make adjustments every year to how they do things to try to better the experience. Everything seemed to run well and on time.

After reading everyone's comments, my .02 cents is sbe is not setup as well as it could be.

Saw someone mention try going to a sporting event or concert, and you won't be able to get in if you forgot your tickets, that's not really true either at least in the cases I have seen. There are some venues that arent setup to scan pdf barcodes and such, but most places that are remotely up to date, there shouldn't be a problem getting in without your tickets.
https://www.quora.com/If-I-show-email-of-ticket-purchase-will-I-be-let-into-a-concert
This isn't 1980

Sounds like rookies running sbe, at least in terms of technology and planning!!!

The fact that they don't have peoples badges pre printed and ready, is a bit ridiculous, just shitty management/at least compared to other events

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe instead of rookie, I should say technically unsavy.

OP's issue shouldn't occur if the people running SBE were knowledgeable and vaguely up to date ,this isn't 1980, verifying if someones badge has been used to enter isn't cutting edge tech.

I gotta wonder the % of people over 50 or 60 and aren't up to date with technology who are siding with SBE on this one. I behind the times, but this seems silly to me.

OP dropped the ball forgetting his badge, SBE dropped the ball using old technology.

Just the fact that SBE are printing the badges the day of, shows how poorly organized they are. Those badges should have been printed days before incase of printer problems, wouldn't you agree?

Those making the argument that OP could have given away his badge, really are behind the times, and if that is possible at sbe that means 100% that sbe is GROSSLY behind the times.

No offense meant to anyone, especially Hopkins.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Maybe instead of rookie, I should say technically unsavy.

OP's issue shouldn't occur if the people running SBE were knowledgeable and vaguely up to date ,this isn't 1980, verifying if someones badge has been used to enter isn't cutting edge tech.

I gotta wonder the % of people over 50 or 60 and aren't up to date with technology who are siding with SBE on this one. I behind the times, but this seems silly to me.

OP dropped the ball forgetting his badge, SBE dropped the ball using old technology.

Just the fact that SBE are printing the badges the day of, shows how poorly organized they are. Those badges should have been printed days before incase of printer problems, wouldn't you agree?

Those making the argument that OP could have given away his badge, really are behind the times, and if that is possible at sbe that means 100% that sbe is GROSSLY behind the times.

No offense meant to anyone, especially Hopkins.

Just wondering why SBE has to be technically up to date? The only part of the badge not printed and ready to go was the small strip of adhesive backed paper with the entrants name. The name strip was attached to the badge and placed in a clear plastic cover with a safety pin installed. Understand the software (technology) failed to perform as written and some names were not printed. Mine was one of those.

Sometimes the latest and greatest is not the best.

Lyn

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering why SBE has to be technically up to date? The only part of the badge not printed and ready to go was the small strip of adhesive backed paper with the entrants name. The name strip was attached to the badge and placed in a clear plastic cover with a safety pin installed. Understand the software (technology) failed to perform as written and some names were not printed. Mine was one of those.

Sometimes the latest and greatest is not the best.

Lyn

If people want to use outdated technology that limits their ability serve their customer base, by all means continue on, I have a good friend learning to make cues and he does inlays by hand, doesn't seem time efficient.

If you are defending the printing thing which is a totaly different topic, I don't wish to argue. If Allen wants to print a 1000 badges that are only 90% done then do the last 10% on opening day as people are trying to get in, by all means continue on.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
If people want to use outdated technology that limits their ability serve their customer base, by all means continue on, I have a good friend learning to make cues and he does inlays by hand, doesn't seem time efficient.

If you are defending the printing thing a totaly different topic, I figure you would defend anything SBE might drop the ball on and I don't wish to argue. If Allen wants to print a 1000 badges that are only 90% done then do the last 10% on opening day as people are trying to get in, by all means continue on.

eihi,

If you feel the world has to be run by computers to make it "efficient", perhaps you should have used one to correctly spell friend. Oops, just noticed you saw the error and corrected it. Aren't computers and advanced technology great? Guess I'll have to contact my cue maker friend at Southwest Cues and tell him to stop doing things by hand as it is inefficient! Their customers will really appreciate it!

Lyn

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eihi,

If you feel the world has to be run by computers to make it "efficient", perhaps you should have used one to correctly spell friend. Oops, just noticed you saw the error and corrected it. Aren't computers and advanced technology great? Guess I'll have to contact my cue maker friend at Southwest Cues and tell him to stop doing things by hand as it is inefficient! Their customers will really appreciate it!

Lyn
Do you mind if I ask your age Lyn?

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Do you mind if I ask your age Lyn?

No problem. I'm 74 and proud of it!!! Not the most technologically savvy but I get by pretty well.. Thirty eight years in the consumer electronics business. Started selling tube type audio electronics and retired just as the MP3 technology began to infest the audio world. Incidentally, notice vinyl records are making a comeback!

Mind if I ask your age?

Lyn

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem. I'm 74 and proud of it!!! Not the most technologically savvy but I get by pretty well.. Thirty eight years in the consumer electronics business. Started selling tube type audio electronics and retired just as the MP3 technology began to infest the audio world. Incidentally, notice vinyl records are making a comeback!

Mind if I ask your age?

Lyn
I am fast approaching the ripe age of 40, I am quite behind the times for my age though. I am curious what do they do by hand at southwest, is laurie using an xacto knife and dremmel for inlays and pocket cuts, what did you mean exactly? Thanks for clarifying

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just in case no one knows why-Pool players are a particularly underhanded bunch. You could have given your real pass to a buddy and then used your receipt etc to get in if they allowed it. 2 for one for everybody eventually-slight exaggeration but you can bet it would be taken advantage of. I know YOU didnt do that but they don't.

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just in case no one knows why-Pool players are a particularly underhanded bunch. You could have given your real pass to a buddy and then used your receipt etc to get in if they allowed it. 2 for one for everybody eventually-slight exaggeration but you can bet it would be taken advantage of. I know YOU didnt do that but they don't.

Let's take your example and add a couple more...

Hypothetically I could use photoshop and make a copy of the badge for my buddies,clear plastic sleeves are dirt cheap.

If I buy tickets from an online vendor for an event that doesn't have assigned seating, something like the warped tour and use the Print-at-Home function I could print a 1000 tickets out.

BUT, if a business protects itself properly, which is why tickets have barcodes those same safety features would have allowed OP to have easily been let back in, or for staff to verify if anyone using the badge had already entered the premises and was still on the premises using said ticket/badge.

By the company properly protecting its revenue using technology, it is also able to provide better customer service.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's take your example and add a couple more...

Hypothetically I could use photoshop and make a copy of the badge for my buddies,clear plastic sleeves are dirt cheap.

If I buy tickets from an online vendor for an event that doesn't have assigned seating, something like the warped tour and use the Print-at-Home function I could print a 1000 tickets out.

BUT, if a business protects itself properly, which is why tickets have barcodes those same safety features would have allowed OP to have easily been let back in, or for staff to verify if anyone using the badge had already entered the premises and was still on the premises using said ticket/badge.

By the company properly protecting its revenue using technology, it is also able to provide better customer service.

cant argue w you-Alan is a dinosaur-It couldn't have been more than 7-8 years ago- someone had to splain to him what an internet forum was and he didnt really seem to get it then. I could be wrong on the years but it was WELL after 80% of americans knew and many many years after i was using them.

Last edited:

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cant argue w you-Alan is a dinosaur-It couldn't have been more than 7-8 years ago- someone had to splain to him what an internet forum was and he didnt really seem to get it then. I could be wrong on the years but it was WELL after 80% of americans knew and many many years after i was using them.

I love Allen and Dawn, I haven't kept up much with them the last 15-20 years, but
I wish them and SBE nothing but success and prosperity.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love Allen and Dawn, I haven't kept up much with them the last 15-20 years, but
I wish them and SBE nothing but success and prosperity.

Well that is kinda obvious- They broke up 10+ years ago or so. :)