how are ya'll doing in league ?

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday I played the highest rated(652) player in our league and got absolutely curb stomped...lol
Played 10 ball first and had a shot at getting to the hill first but hung a 10 ball and that was all she wrote. I must have warmed him up good because 8 ball was a massacre.

Koop - on to next Monday

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we are one match away from taking the Big Dawg in our area. We have a 12 point lead going into the final match. Update from an earlier post, the team I posted about earlier that was doing the blatant sandbagging is done.

The LO finally got tired of all the complaining about them and told them it was unacceptable and that he was going to look at every match they played this session, and that if he could find evidence of sandbagging, they would lose their LTC qualification. Well, their captain got mad, pitched a hissy fit, and forfeited the rest of the season. Karma is a Biotch!

leste

Registered
Played against a 7 who intentionally fouled or just whacked it every time he got to the table. Sarcastically played it off as his house cue was warped or his tip was flat.

He was in a sour mood with the LO that night apparently about a skill level discrepancy. He’s actually 2nd in MVP in our league too. I didn’t take it personally but I was just disappointed. Wanted to play a match than just have a solo practice session.

What incentives APA teams to keep trying in the final weeks of the season, when they’re not in contention for playoffs?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like my league. Every place pays out, even last. No matter where your standings are, going up will net you a better payout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we are one match away from taking the Big Dawg in our area. We have a 12 point lead going into the final match. Update from an earlier post, the team I posted about earlier that was doing the blatant sandbagging is done.

The LO finally got tired of all the complaining about them and told them it was unacceptable and that he was going to look at every match they played this session, and that if he could find evidence of sandbagging, they would lose their LTC qualification. Well, their captain got mad, pitched a hissy fit, and forfeited the rest of the season. Karma is a Biotch!

Glad to hear your team is doing well and kudos to your league operator.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have lamented/ complained on here many times how my 9 ball break sucks. Well Monday night after winning my 8 ball match and losing my 9 ball match due to my break in my opinion I asked one of my master team mates for advice.

I had intended to practice what he suggested before my next league match but never got the chance.

So I get to 9 ball league last night and wind up facing another 5 I have faced many times over the years but we have not faced each other in a while. We are pretty friendly and go way back to being team mates in bcapl years ago. Its always been a close match between us.

Well it was not close last night. I dont know the points but the scorekeeper said i won 17-3. I owe it all to my break. I made a ball ever break and had a look see at the next ball every time. During the match i played a safe and my opponent said...wtf is this shit. ? You are killing me 23-7 and you playing safes on me ? I replied ...just trying to get points back due to your 8 winning 16-4 vs our 3 we dumped on him. Every body on both teams was laughing at that.

Being the best player on our team i was all hyped up to face their 7 as i am usually thrown again them but the captain finally took my advice i have been giving him for a while. I have been telling him we need to dump on certain players i probably dont have a chance in hell of beating and jump on their low players they have to throw when playing their 8's and 9's.

After my match my opponent shook my hand and said i had played great . I told him i had played about the same as i always played but my break tonight was the main factor in my winning.

Just hope my break was not a fluke last night lol.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Well, years ago I quit/out grew leagues, but moving along AK river for retirement and grandkids 3 yrs ago, I wanted to get to know the locals, and competed with them the past two seasons. Why I'm writing, the finals I did something I've never done before in league. The last winning team I was on had, Scott Smith, Billy Stroud, Myself, Jr. Harris and Bret the Jet with back up Carl.

This final night....I ran out every game I broke and the two games I didn't break, when I did get to the table I ran out. So ZERO misses for my LAST LEAGUE GAME OF MY LIFE. Wasn't planned....our second best player went 0-5 and we won the season 15-13. Met a bunch of great guys here in the valley, and now Pickle Ball is next. Pool tho is only going away when they lay me down to rest.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, no more.........................eague.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I had a photo finish because I tanked it badly one week, and not much better the next.
That's after I corrected my stance, but it's hard to practice because of my back.

Screenshot_20180418-205308_Chrome.jpg

stevenw00d

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have lamented/ complained on here many times how my 9 ball break sucks... I asked one of my master team mates for advice.

Well are you going to share the secret or keep it all to yourself?!?!?! :D

Congrats on the win, and finding a fix for an ongoing problem. It is definitely not fun when you know you have 1-2 things that are constantly plaguing you. :mad:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well are you going to share the secret or keep it all to yourself?!?!?! :D

Congrats on the win, and finding a fix for an ongoing problem. It is definitely not fun when you know you have 1-2 things that are constantly plaguing you. :mad:

Sure I dont mind sharing the advice I received Monday night. Actually I think that's sharing what works for you would be a great addition to this thread .

First thing though is 9 ball breaking has been my Achilles heel from the moment I started playing in league. I had never played 9 ball before joining league. I also think my bad hand may have something to do with it.

I have mentioned many times in this thread that my break sucks. I even had a friend ribbing me Sunday night that my 3..a lady... on my team breaks better than I do lol.

I have tried just about every position in the kitchen with out much success. I played a guy 8 ball Monday night and won with no problem. I played him 9 ball and lost and it was mainly due to my breaks. Break dry and he runs quite a few balls.....break and make something and am hooked....break and scratch. Well you get the picture.

When league was over I noticed 2 of my master team players were practicing with each other. I went down there and asked for advice on my break. Well I had to leave and intended to practice what he advised before my next league match which was last night but never got the chance.

Well now to the secret you are asking me about.

He told me to break from the center of the table one diamond off the top rail. Making sure to strike center cue ball slightly below center and hitting the one ball square.

I broke 5 times in my match and made a ball each time and left the cue ball more or less in center of the table and had a look at the one every time resulting in a pocketed ball or a safe as the layout warranted.

Now as I mentioned in my first post I hope last night is not a fluke but those 5 breaks I made were the best results I have ever had. My opponent said that was the worst beat down he has ever received from me and that I shot great. I replied that I really did not shoot any better than i normally do that it was the results of my breaks that made the difference in that game. Again...i hope last night was not a fluke lol. Let you know this weekend after playoffs if my breaking continues like last night.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had playoffs tonight and I guess thursday was a fluke like i feared. I played an 8 and only got to break twice. Both breaks were dry and he ran the table on one of my breaks....heck as bad as I play I could have ran that rack. Beautiful layout with a bunch of hangers lol. I hung with him pretty much except for a couple big runs he made . One of them off one of my breaks lol.

I played another 5 in 8 ball . He jumped out to a 3-0 lead and I managed to win the next 4 in a row to win the match.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started out with a crazy night at usapl tonight. I played 8 ball first and lost bad. I don't know where my head was but it sure was not on my match. In 2 different racks I shot at my opponents ball instead of mine.

Now on to 9 ball. I know you guys are salivating to read about the ongoing saga concerning my 9 ball break. :smile:

If you recall I mentioned about a friend ribbing me about a 3... 54 year old 5 foot 2 lady having a better break than me. I decided to ask a master team mate for advice and mentioned in my post before last the success I had with his advice and hoped that night was not a fluke.

Well in my last post above I mentioned I only broke twice last night and both resulted in dry breaks ....here we go again I thought

Well tonight I decided to stick with the new break because I figured it was no worse than any thing else I have tried and was hoping last night was a fluke.:smile:

Well the first 3 racks were just like the results I had the first night I tried it. Ball on the break every time and had a look see at the one.

One other note. This after noon before I left the house for league I was watching some 9 ball break tutorials on you tube. I found the one by Charlie Bryant teaching using your hip pretty interesting. So on my last break tonight I decided to put a lil oomph in my break using my hip. When all the balls had settled I saw that 3 balls had fallen and had planted the cue ball right smack dab in the middle of the table.

I had a slight angle on the 1 in the left side pocket. Go 2 rails to get on the 3 hanging in the bottom right pocket. Slow roll the cue ball down pocketing the 3 and leaving a good angle to pocket the 5 in the bottom right pocket. Top outside to come off the rail and go up table to put the 7 in the top right pocket. Inside English on the 7 coming straight down table to put the 8 on the right bottom pocket. Pocket speed on the 8 leaving me a shot on the 9 in the bottom left pocket. break and run fellas !

Gonna keep at it with this new break and maybe even get around to some serious practice with it. So far every thing I tried with this new approach has been during a match. This really gives me incentive to practice now. :smile:

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lost my 9 ball match to (another) "3". I won the lag, pocketed 2 on the break while scratchin...he ran the next 7. He broke, I ran out, I broke dry, he ran out. A 3 I say, he broke I ran out. I broke left safe and he missed and I ran out. I broke, ran 3...played safe, he got out...match over. I missed two shots the whole match and lost 3-3. Won my 8 ball after being down 2-0 to a four. Had to play a lot of good safeties to get out of that trouble...ran out the last rack to win the match. Hard to stomach the loss in 9, but whatever, the handicap system in tap is sh@

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we wrapped up the big dawg for the spring session last night. Not too shabby for our first full session as a team...I won against another sl4 3-0 to finish the session with only two losses. Also, I almost (again) had my first Break and Run on a 9 foot table! I know this is nothing big for most of you guys, but I have been close so many times this session only to catch a hanger or get out of position late in the run.

On to cities where we will see if we can keep up the momentum!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Pretty anti-climatic night for me last night to end our season.

I lost without ever shooting a ball. We have had trouble getting a full team to show up week in and week out this session. Upon arriving at the pool hall last night I was soon thereafter notified that our SL2 (an 81 year-old man) had hurt himself at home and was not going to show up. I had previously called the teammate who is also the LO and asked him to show up in case we are short a player. We were in 1st place, leading by only 3 points. Well, we commenced our matches and with a comment from a teammate realized we were going to have a 23-limit problem what with our 2 not showing up. I had already played the LO teammate who was a SL6 and another teammate who was a SL5. All I had left was my wife (SL3), Myself (SL6) and another guy who was a SL4. Somebody was going to have to forfeit their match. To make a long story shorter, it turns out that they were going to play a SL3 in the 4th match, so I put my wife up (she won by shutout) and I inevitably had to be the one to forfeit the last match.

We lost for the night 8-5. I don't know where we'll end up now, but we will definitely be in the playoffs. We won't be able to field a legal team if the SL2 doesn't make it next week, but if the four that do play can get 8 points, we can still move on to the next week. Thing is, it doesn't matter anyway since the team is breaking up and will never play in the LTC.

With the forfeit I finished the session 9-4. My wife had two rackless nights and two other shutouts during the session, so I'd say the Metz family did their part for the session. It was fun....and that's all we wanted out of it.

Maniac

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think we're into Week 11 or 12 of this season. This looks like my 5th time playing. We were matched up against the top team in the division, a strong 3-man team, all are top rated in any league they play.

My team is in second. Two of us cover the majority of the top offensive categories in the league. In 9-ball, I'm ranked in the top 10 of all of San Diego, and that ranking includes pro (Sina V.) and just under pro level players. I get to represent the not-even-close-to-pro after them :)

I matched up with the #1 player in the our division (by scored points), very good player (SL-9 in the APA) whom I crushed in another league in 9-ball. If the season ended today, he'd win about $1500 for top player. Yeah, this league pays off nicely. Even for only playing 5 times, right now I'm slated to win nearly $500 for my offensive work.

He wanted payback... and he got it. He won the lag by a smidge (he leads the league in lags won, which would be another $75 if he holds on), and not surprisingly, he chose 8-ball. He missed about seven shots in a race to 5, but only sold out four times. Unfortunately, I only converted 3 of the 4. He played some very nice strategy, two way shots, and safeties, and I didn't answer the bell. My game was good enough to beat most everyone else in the league handily, but alas, he beat me 5-3.

I dogged one out horribly, and I didn't break particularly well. That's not going to get it done against another runout player. The match wasn't as close as 5-3, which really is only one game separating. I was fortunate to be that close.

The other team won every lag, and they all picked 8-ball. It worked out for them, even though two of us have oodles of 8-ball tournament wins. Nicely played by some good 8-ball players. My hat's off to them.

On to the next, which for me won't be for a few weeks.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
started 8 ball on 7 foot Diamonds league last Wednesday.
I shot a perfect 50.
last night I shot a 40,one guy broke and ran out on me,nothing I could do about that.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...I do believe I am done with TAP league for a while, been real fun for the 2 and 1/2 years I have been doing it, but the team I am on had problems with people showing up. This week we had 2 there til well after it started. I went ahead and broke down my cues and was done. Six weeks in a row this had been going on...extremely frustrating. So the focus will be on tournaments for the next year, just to see how I fare and maybe I can establish a Fargo rating.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...I do believe I am done with TAP league for a while, been real fun for the 2 and 1/2 years I have been doing it, but the team I am on had problems with people showing up. This week we had 2 there til well after it started. I went ahead and broke down my cues and was done. Six weeks in a row this had been going on...extremely frustrating. So the focus will be on tournaments for the next year, just to see how I fare and maybe I can establish a Fargo rating.

I feel.your pain with my usapl team. We had to forfeit 2 matches Monday night as there were only 3 of us. We have 2 weeks left and half my team will not be eligible for playoffs. oh yea....those forfeits knocked us out of first place.

Cant really blame the league ....just the players.