Best Jump/Break Cue Combo by Custom Cue Maker

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to buy a new break/jump cue from a reputable cue maker (not factory mass produced) and wanted to get people's opinions and thoughts on who they think is the best or have a preference for. I prefer the jump/break combo but I am not opposed to hearing the pros and cons of having separate cues for breaking and jumping.

I have been looking at Gilbert's jump/break cues but since I am not liking my Gilbert playing cue I think I would probably stay away from those jump/break cues.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the Gilbert Jump breaks were as good as any. Samsara makes a quality jump break. The consensus on the forum will most likely be Lomax. Honestly I have tried the Lomax and thought it was nothing special. I've switched to a dedicated breaker (Mezz PB, the one that's 4 inches shorter than most cues) and a dedicated jumper. Old frog jump cue with a G-10 tip ferrule combo, and think I'll own this set up forever. To each their own but that's my .02

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking to buy a new break/jump cue from a reputable cue maker (not factory mass produced) and wanted to get people's opinions and thoughts on who they think is the best or have a preference for. I prefer the jump/break combo but I am not opposed to hearing the pros and cons of having separate cues for breaking and jumping.

I have been looking at Gilbert's jump/break cues but since I am not liking my Gilbert playing cue I think I would probably stay away from those jump/break cues.

Best Jump/Break for the money (and combined performance), I would say is the Players HXT-P1.

That being said, I love my Gilbert J/B cue.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are all great, with an appropriate tip.

Imo, it is a mistake to NOT get a production one, though.

Customs don't perform better and cost way more...in me experience.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Best Jump/Break for the money (and combined performance), I would say is the Players HXT-P1..
X2!

I bought mine based of the recommendations here. I was skeptical to say the least that dedicated break cues were really effective. I was also hesitant given Players reputation for value based, introductory cues (albeit a very good one).

True story, the 1st 8-Ball rack I used my new break cue on, the 8-Ball floated right into the corner pocket. While that hasn't happened since, I'm beyond pleased with the results so far and have no interest in looking elsewhere. The price of the cue is beyond reasonable.

And then there's this, which I agree with 110%

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tap tap tap!

My break cue is a $100 players j/b. I had their ferrule and 'bakelite' tip replaced with a 1 piece phenolic, because I had shattered the bakelite players tip in the past.

14mm, stiff taper, 50/50 butt split for those who like a long jump butt. Hits as hard as any predator, mezz etc break cue that Ive ever tried, and jumps great.

39248955455_7146515336_c.jpg

https://www.seyberts.com/jump/break-cues/players-jb12-jump-break-pool-cue/

Smooth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imo... APA rules would be the only reason to buy a j/b cue... and even then, it results in sub-par jumping versus what a dedicated jump cue can do (or just practice kicks/masses on APA night)

a 3 cue set-up allows for better performance that is customized to your game

upgrading is also a LOT easier if/when you're game evolves

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Samsara Break/Jump Cue with True Break shaft and dart handle is hard to beat. They are also discontinued with just a handful left in the pipeline. There is an ease of use from the 2 Uni-lock joints.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gilbert. I have owned several and the Gilbert's are the best as far as a jump/break. And keep in mind, you will be not be using it to play with so your comparisons to your playing cue are not relevant.

Samsara is next in line in my opinion. Very solid and with the jump handle it jumps easily but it lacks the backbone that a Gilbert has in the breaking department.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't know where you live but Brent Romine in Florence, Alabama makes jump/break cue that will rival ANY custom J/B cue......and yes that includes brick and Loma.

As far as Gilbert's J/B, they are very good but Romines cue is by far better as a J/B......dedicated jump or dedicated break cue.......by far.....

And to top it off, Romines J/B's or dedicated cues are much cheaper than most all great custom cues.....again, by far.

He specializes in diamond wood cue but can build one he'll of a cue out of maple, purple heart or anything you want.

By the way, he is a super honest person that really loves cue building and the cue sports.

If you are wondering why such a great cue maker is not more popular? Well, he has not been at it near as long as most so his name is not completely out yet. Give it time and he will be another, but better......brick, lomax....etc..

Rake

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are dead set on a custom jump break cue, give Pete Ohman - Omen Cues a look before making a final decision.

I use the Schmelke JB04 jump break cue - for the money it will do the job for you.

I play barbox 8 ball mostly & carry the jump break cue along with the Marty Carey dedicated jump cue. I have most of my bases covered with a less than stellar played safety. :)

Are you looking for accuracy with the longer jump shot or perhaps the ability to get over a blocking ball at close range or a mixture of both? Answering these questions led me to the setup I use.

IMO the jump side of things is dependent on the type of game you play & the size of the table being used.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
imo... APA rules would be the only reason to buy a j/b cue... and even then, it results in sub-par jumping versus what a dedicated jump cue can do (or just practice kicks/masses on APA night)

a 3 cue set-up allows for better performance that is customized to your game

upgrading is also a LOT easier if/when you're game evolves

Why would APA rules have any bearing? You're not allowed to use a break cue or a jump cue for jump shots. (In case you didn't know, Rule 32 in the general rules of the APA Team Manual spells this out pretty clearly).

Was there some other factor?

Thanks,

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So do people prefer the combo or individual jump and break cues?

I strongly prefer individual cues since the qualities that make a good jump cue are different and in some cases opposed to the qualities that make a good break cue.

KMRUNOUT

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Might be something coming out at expo..... Forever the Break/jumps were weak in one aspect or the other...

ivicafranic

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen his name mentioned in this thread but Josh Treadway is one of guys you should think about to go with.
His playing cues are great as well. Talking j/bs he builds them differently and points in his cues are in Bitdseye Maple. Even if you see they are balack, they are still in Maple but he paints them. He has developt his own building construction in which he tends to gain the weight at around 19oz without coring and without using weight bolts. His j/bs are perfectly balnced for this reason too and they jump with ease. Quality is perfect and it is the best break I have ever tried and I had many. Beside this he is a great guy to talk and to deal with.
Would recommend his j/bs without hesitation to everyone.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked out Treadway cues and think they look good and have an interesting design. I will do more research on those.

Some people have said they prefer having dedicated jump and break cues. Can anyone provide names of cue makers that make those cues individually.

It doesn't appear that Gilbert or Treadway make break cues and jump cues separately and only in the combo form. Any ideas on some custom makers that make separate cues for each??

ivicafranic

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I checked out Treadway cues and think they look good and have an interesting design. I will do more research on those.

Some people have said they prefer having dedicated jump and break cues. Can anyone provide names of cue makers that make those cues individually.

It doesn't appear that Gilbert or Treadway make break cues and jump cues separately and only in the combo form. Any ideas on some custom makers that make separate cues for each??

If you decide to go with Treadway....you will be delighted with how it jumps....with entire cue but with 2/3 as well. They jump really easily and you will not need better than that. I would suggest you to try one if you have the chance and let me know than.
Hope this helps!