Asking the house man for a 9-ball rack,
Racking the balls at the wrong end of the table,
Racking the balls from the side of the table and not from the foot end,
Emptying the ball tray on a table that is NOT lit up to start playing,
Rolling the house cues on the table to see if they are level,
Asking the house man for talc/baby powder,
Walking around the tables looking for the coin slot,
The putt-putt rule - moving the CB off the rail by a cue butt's width

Any other classic requests / moves come to mind that you hear / see when a non-regular walks in a poolroom, other than the obvious, that are a dead giveaway they are either not a player, or they're a hustler?

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
A gambling friend tells me that every time he enters the pool room, everybody smiles.

Jeff Livingston

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Hell, I think C.J. told us the best move. Simply tell the house man you're really good at pool and asking if anybody wanted to play for money. Then he'd back it up.

They couldn't say he didn't warn 'em....

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asking the house man for a 9-ball rack,
Racking the balls at the wrong end of the table,
Racking the balls from the side of the table and not from the foot end,
Emptying the ball tray on a table that is NOT lit up to start playing,
Rolling the house cues on the table to see if they are level,
Asking the house man for talc/baby powder,
Walking around the tables looking for the coin slot,
The putt-putt rule - moving the CB off the rail by a cue butt's width

Any other classic requests / moves come to mind that you hear / see when a non-regular walks in a poolroom, other than the obvious, that are a dead giveaway they are either not a player, or they're a hustler?
What is it, 1953 in your pool room?

Who asks a person who doesn't appear to know anything about pool to gamble?

Who has nuts big (and dumb) enough, plus plays well enough, to walk into a room and pretend to not know which end of a cue is used...and then bet big money and win?!.

You bring a buncha b.s. to the pool room, you gonna get a bunch of b.s. back.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
My personal favorite was to find the warpedest cue in the house.
Roll with my left hand while shoving quarters in with my right.
The roll flops across the table as I'm looking at the quarter slot.

Hit a few bad, then turn it straight up and down and wear em out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
What is it, 1953 in your pool room?

Who asks a person who doesn't appear to know anything about pool to gamble?

Who has nuts big (and dumb) enough, plus plays well enough, to walk into a room and pretend to not know which end of a cue is used...and then bet big money and win?!.

You bring a buncha b.s. to the pool room, you gonna get a bunch of b.s. back.

:withstupid:....you got it, B-B.
A Predator case with APA stickers should do the job.

Ya think this is our first time in the pool game room?

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Step 1: Find happy hour and get tipsy so you can fit in anywhere.

Step 2: Walk right up to the gamblers with one beer in each hand. And ask if they gamble!.

Step 3: Pick up a house stick and look down it like looking thru the barrel of a gun.

Step 4: Stalk them as they finish their game.

Step 5: Now you just beat them out of all their money and they will get a good laugh later.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was an office party at a place I go to, one of the tables had the 8 ball rack racked backwards, that would be a good one to do.

I always listen for people that say "they used to be good" or "I played in college and made thousands". Pretty much guaranteed they can't make a bridge or know what position is but are very likely to try to show off by playing you.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I've never been a hustler, and I doubt trying to look like an idiot is going to fool anyone these days, but I figure if looking like a fool is what you want:

1. Place chalk on floor between your feet. Stick the tip into the chalk and start rubbing the cue back and forth in your hands, drilling into the chalk like you're trying to start a fire.

2. Make some kind of stupid bridge, like a knuckle bridge or something of that nature.

3. Make sure to lecture people playing on the table next to you on "THE RULES" of 8 ball every chance you get. Make sure to "teach" the "bar version" only.

4. If someone picks up a bridge, make sure to voice your displeasure.

5. Be awkward and clumsy, drop balls out of the tray. Spill the balls out of the tray as noisily as possible.

6. Apply chalk to your hand like you would do with talcum powder.

7. Quote the "poolkillers" guide to pool.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Lines really aren't needed. Just let them watch you play.

On a bar table when banging balls around, you really don't need a lot of form to run out. So I was known to get up off the shot as soon as I hit the cueball.

More than one player immediately challenged me to play for money. I overheard one guy telling his wife, "Do you see how that guy jumps up on every shot". Although I wasn't intentionally doing it.

They displayed great form, but they left with empty pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hell, I think C.J. told us the best move. Simply tell the house man you're really good at pool and asking if anybody wanted to play for money. Then he'd back it up.

They couldn't say he didn't warn 'em....

I heard Corey tell a story like that on a TAR interview. He'd say something like "I'm really, really good. No one in here can beat me.":thumbup:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my personal favorite was to find the warpedest cue in the house.
Roll with my left hand while shoving quarters in with my right.
The roll flops across the table as i'm looking at the quarter slot.

Hit a few bad, then turn it straight up and down and wear em out.
warpedest?? ;)

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell them you play Real pool only. Straight 8 lol. Anytime I hear someone say they’re playing straight 8 I know I’m stealing. So then I started using it in reverse in bars when trying to make a game say I’ll play you a game of straight 8 for 10$. Works like a charm lol

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local shortstop tells me of when UJ Puckett came to Lansing. He pulls up in a car with a fishing boat connected to the back.

He hit some balls around not making too many. Then he got in some cheap action and would barely win, missing a lot of two way shots so his opponent had a lot of turns at the table even though they lost. And of course he was jawing in his big and boisterous way that kept his opponent and everyone around entertained by his antics. 🕺

He announced he had to leave and would be back later. He sauntered up to pay table time. As he pulled money out of his pocket, he accidentally spilled his bankroll on the counter with a flourish. Piles and wads of hundreds. Oops! He makes a scene of raking it into a pile, stacking and pocketing it. Then pays and leaves.

Afterwards he comes back with every Tom, Dick and Harry looking to see the easy pickings that came to town. He then starts rolling through everyone one at a time. He would win some money, scan the room, find the biggest guys in the room and buy their table a round of drinks. He’d win some more and buy another round for another side of the bar. How about you send around to them over there too. He’s guaranteeing he will be able to walk out of the place.

By the end people are playing him just for the right to be in the spotlight. They don’t mind losing because he is just regaling them with stories and jokes. They’re paying to be entertained.

He busts the town and hops back in his car and tows the fishing boat out of Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew a guy whose favorite shark move was to tell the person he was playing, "if I don't start making some balls, I'm going to have to start shooting right handed." Now the kicker is, that he is actually a strong player left handed, but a VERY STRONG player right handed.

Nobody that played him lefty would EVER believe that it wasn't his dominant hand. He would get in games with people who thought they had the nutz...while he was playing lefty...get them to jack the bet, and then he would tell them...all right, now that the real money is on the table, I'm playing right handed. He would then clean them out.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Friend of mine, Bunky White,from Myrtle Beach, was steering me around in SC back in the late 70's. He had a bunch of wall posters of skaiddly dressed Pretty Ladies , that he was selling around . There was a spot he new in Charleston SC that the owner of the spot would go off if you could catch him right. I walked in and sold the gent a couple of the posters and then looked over on the wall where he had an advertisement about a weekly pool tourny. Told him I love to play pool and wished I could be there to play for his tourny coming up. He said , why wait, we could play some right then, turned into a pretty good score.