Never going to another Super Billiards Expo.

Goldcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paid a lot of money to play in multiple events. Like I do every year.
Stood in a brutal line for over an hour to get my player badge, only to be told it didn't print and to come back later. When I did go back it still had not printed so they gave me a big hand written substitute.
Spent a lot of money at the booths and concessions, like I do every year.
By Saturday I was out of the events and took my family there to go through the booths shopping for goodies for my home room, meet and greet some pros and hopefully play some on the challenge tables.
But after driving all the way there with my family, in a different car, I realized I did not have my big hand written player badge with me. I wanted to pay to get my family in, but I refused to pay to get myself back in. I had my emailed receipt from them for the events I had paid to play in. And I had my ID to prove I was that guy. One of the guys at the door even recognized me. But they refused to let me in. Amazingly greedy!
I have never been anything but nice to all the people there. I spend hundreds of dollars there every year. I do a lot on social media to promote the events in a positive way.
I had cash in hand to pay to get my family in. I could prove that I was already paid.
But they wanted that extra entry fee out of me so bad that they were willing to watch us turn around and walk out.
I may be over reacting but I'm pissed. No more Billiards Expos for me. Ever.
I will never spend another nickle of my hard earned money, or waste another minute of my valuable time on one of his events.
Greed ruined them. They are only focused on the cash and completely lost touch with what is truly good for the sport, what is best for their vendors who invested a lot of money to be in there, and what is good for the remaining fans who love the sport.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Stood in a brutal line for over an hour to get my player badge, only to be told it didn't print and to come back later. When I did go back it still had not printed so they gave me a big hand written substitute.
By Saturday I was out of the events and took my family there to go through the booths shopping for goodies for my home room, meet and greet some pros and hopefully play some on the challenge tables.
But after driving all the way there with my family, in a different car, I realized I did not have my big hand written player badge with me. I wanted to pay to get my family in, but I refused to pay to get myself back in. I had my emailed receipt from them for the events I had paid to play in. And I had my ID to prove I was that guy. One of the guys at the door even recognized me. But they refused to let me in. Amazingly greedy!
I have never been anything but nice to all the people there. I spend hundreds of dollars there every year. I do a lot on social media to promote the events in a positive way.
I had cash in hand to pay to get my family in. I could prove that I was already paid.
But they wanted that extra entry fee out of me so bad that they were willing to watch us turn around and walk out.
I will never spend another nickle of my hard earned money, or waste another minute of my valuable time on one of his events.
Greed ruined them. They are only focused on the cash and completely lost touch with what is truly good for the sport, what is best for their vendors who invested a lot of money to be in there, and what is good for the remaining fans who love the sport.

I would say you are justifiably pissed! I would be too!
I went one time and even though I had always comped other pool promoters at my events I was asked to pay full value for everything! I did as asked and never went back.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only been to SBE once, and DCC EVERY year. There is a reason.

I thought maybe it was just east coast verses midwest attitude and culture. Whatever it was, once was enough for the SBE for me.

I wish that the cuemakers would make a bigger presence at DCC, but this year they ran out of room for tables, let alone more vendor space.

I am sorry that the SBE fools killed another Golden Goose, there are so few of us left.

Ken

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very unfortunate. The employee at the door was simply doing their job, and you do have to take some responsibility for forgetting your badge. However, it does seem like, as long as you kept your cool and requested to speak with a supervisor to explain the situation to them in a calm manner, that this could have been resolved to allow your entry.

I would suggest sending a letter to Allen Hopkins explaining your experience and your plans to not attend in future years, and see if you get any reasonable response back.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was already out of the tournament but wanted to watch my next match. He went back to hotel while I went to the action room. A few hours later he texted me that he was at the entrance, had left his badge at the hotel with his cue case, do they made him pay for an expo pass to get back inside, regardless of showing his email confirmation and ID. Seems like they should have a means of verification when this sort of stuff happens.

I also didn't like having to $20 for VIP pro seating that expired at 6pm, at which time it costs another $20 to watch the evening matches.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I got there early Thursday morning. There was no line to get my badge. They didn't have a printed one but saw my name on the list and gave me a hand written one right on the spot. You can't blame them for having a long line of players waiting to get badges. If you don't get there when doors open, it is what you can expect. I've been going to the expo for 15 years now and I don't think I have ever waited more then 10 mins in a line for my badge.

Sucks you couldnt get back in, but you gotta understand, they deal with pool players. Literally thousands of people trying to get something for nothing. They probably have dozens of people daily trying to get in there with some reason of why they shouldnt have to pay... and dont get me wrong, it sucks that you did pay, but you also did forget your badge.

The blame isnt fully on them in either of those cases. It is pretty lame that they made you come back later for a hand written badge. They should have just gave it to you on the spot. They have the lists right in front of them from the registered players. You dont need your player number to report a match you won. They have all the bracket info on the score sheet. They know who you are. Them making you come back after waiting in the long line is absurd.

What I thought was odd this year, they werent marking the badges or checking them after they marked your hand. You could have easily just went in with your badge, got your hand marked, walked back outside and gave your badge to someone else for them to come in and get there hand marked and have them just give you the badge back once you are both back inside...

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got there early Thursday morning. There was no line to get my badge. They didn't have a printed one but saw my name on the list and gave me a hand written one right on the spot. You can't blame them for having a long line of players waiting to get badges. If you don't get there when doors open, it is what you can expect. I've been going to the expo for 15 years now and I don't think I have ever waited more then 10 mins in a line for my badge.

Sucks you couldnt get back in, but you gotta understand, they deal with pool players. Literally thousands of people trying to get something for nothing. They probably have dozens of people daily trying to get in there with some reason of why they shouldnt have to pay... and dont get me wrong, it sucks that you did pay, but you also did forget your badge.

The blame isnt fully on them in either of those cases. It is pretty lame that they made you come back later for a hand written badge. They should have just gave it to you on the spot. They have the lists right in front of them from the registered players. You dont need your player number to report a match you won. They have all the bracket info on the score sheet. They know who you are. Them making you come back after waiting in the long line is absurd.

What I thought was odd this year, they werent marking the badges or checking them after they marked your hand. You could have easily just went in with your badge, got your hand marked, walked back outside and gave your badge to someone else for them to come in and get there hand marked and have them just give you the badge back once you are both back inside...

Good points. I arrived Wednesday night around 6pm. The check-in line was a crowded mess. So we went to the Outback for dinner and returned around 9pm and there was no line at all.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you forget your pass you dont get in simple. you dont get in the movies or shows if you forget your ticket. thats life. and the doorman doesnt have desecration to let people in.
and shouldnt.

its like asking the teller at the bank to make adjustments to your account. you have to have a supervisor there.

the right thing is, oops i forgot my pass i guess i am stuck paying again.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Try to go to a baseball, football, hockey, concert with I left my stuff at...line.

Put on your big boy pants and go back to room or reach into your jeans. It sucks but so does life sometimes. We are all responsible for our actions. May sound harsh but it is what it is.

This years Mosconi cup I was in Vegas on business. Need to leave and miss the last match of day 1. As I was 3 feet out the building I got a call from my crew saying that we had a delay in our delivery and that I had at least 3 more hours. Great...I run back to catch the match only to remember that I tossed my ticket in a garbage in the venue on the way out. Oh well. Yes I tried. No they wouldn't let me in and no letters were written.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Went there with my sons for the last time 2 years ago- cash only entry fees- Really second rate feeling there in every way! It was much better venue many years ago- no longer interested either.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He was already out of the tournament but wanted to watch my next match. He went back to hotel while I went to the action room. A few hours later he texted me that he was at the entrance, had left his badge at the hotel with his cue case, do they made him pay for an expo pass to get back inside, regardless of showing his email confirmation and ID. Seems like they should have a means of verification when this sort of stuff happens.

I also didn't like having to $20 for VIP pro seating that expired at 6pm, at which time it costs another $20 to watch the evening matches.

It sick for the person that forgot their badge but at the same time is extremely simple to understand at the same time. Along the lines of what Icon was saying, think how easy it is to beat them out of door money . With literally thousands of players ( and we all know how many pool players are let's be honest lol ). So how easy would it be for xxx player to give his badge to a buddy who then can stroll right in ( as they do not check id at door to see if it matches na,email on badge ) and then the original guy bring an email confirmation that would also get in " for free ". They could literally lose thousands in door money if they do not do it like they are doing it. Even doing it this way I'd bet they still lose " some " door money so they are probably just trying to pick the lesser of two evils and limit their loses the best they can.

While not practical , we are very lucky we can come and go as many times as needed because many events and venues have a strict no readmittance policy just for these very reasons. Tell your what, on the side of the building where many were going to smoke the two door guys looked so baked you probably could've brought several bus loads of people and walked them right in they were so out of it.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I was there Wednesday at 5:15 and was in line for an hour and a half with a 7 o’clock warmup match

I was plenty warmed up for the match as it was hot as hades in line.

Good points. I arrived Wednesday night around 6pm. The check-in line was a crowded mess. So we went to the Outback for dinner and returned around 9pm and there was no line at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went there with my sons for the last time 2 years ago- cash only entry fees- Really second rate feeling there in every way! It was much better venue many years ago- no longer interested either.

What's wrong with cash only? Remember cash is king!!! Think about it from the business side and not the consumer side. Those card processing fees add up quick, especially in high volume situations such as this. That cost goes to someone. Usually they will build that into the price the consumer is charged as no business wants to eat all of those fees. So cash keeps the tics a little cheaper for all of us. On top of that they risk potential losses for chargebacks, disputes , stolen cards etc. Why expose yourself to those risks when not needed. I say not needed because it truly isn't because obviously you still see the thousands and thousands of folks that pay the cash entry and do not mind . Taking cards are only offered as a convenience since every other store also accepts them so in that case you pretty much have to. The expo is not in that position though. You have an event once a year and where else are you gonna go to get the same experience ? So bottom line they do not need to and it makes more sense to just use cash so they do. Just curious , what exactly was your issue with using cash anyways?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I feel your pain but -- no ticket (badge), no entry -- is life in the real world.

The problem is you blew it and that is not the venue's problem. Particularly if the venue entry was as swamped as you describe. If they try and make an exception for you, they have to do it for the next guy with a problem and it becomes a nightmare. I suppose at a small event, provisions could be made but rules are and should be rules.

Here in Missouri they hold an annual state championship, with the proviso that you must show a valid MO ID when you show up. One year a very well known MO cue maker and former room owner forgot his license. *Everyone* knew this guy and all were willing to vouch for him but the tournament officials said: the rules are the rules and if we make an exception for one guy, we are looking at an endless line of guys also wanting their exception.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Try to go to a baseball, football, hockey, concert with I left my stuff at...line.

Put on your big boy pants and go back to room or reach into your jeans. It sucks but so does life sometimes. We are all responsible for our actions. May sound harsh but it is what it is.

This years Mosconi cup I was in Vegas on business. Need to leave and miss the last match of day 1. As I was 3 feet out the building I got a call from my crew saying that we had a delay in our delivery and that I had at least 3 more hours. Great...I run back to catch the match only to remember that I tossed my ticket in a garbage in the venue on the way out. Oh well. Yes I tried. No they wouldn't let me in and no letters were written.

Have to agree with you on this. Always enter all three events. Once asked Allen what would happen if I accidentally lost my badge. He said I would have to BUY a new one even though I paid three entries. Guard my badge tightly now. As soon as I get my hand stamped, I take the badge out to the car till the next day.

If Allen allowed me to have a "free" second badge, believe he feels most POOL players would have given the first one to a friend to avoid the expo entry fee. Don't agree but..... it is his event and he runs it as he feels. Like the OP, I stood in the line for over an hour waiting patiently. When registration "opened", all the people closest to the doors rushed in leaving those of us in the original waiting line at the back rather than the front of the alphabetical lines. Karma hurts some times.

Again as with the OP, they didn't have my pre-printed name tag either. Aren't computers great!!!!!

Lyn

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A relatively simple solution to some of this is to require everyone (except the pro players while playing) to display their badges at all times. Anyone with no badge gets walked to the door.

It's easy enough for one buddy to carry five badges out to the parking lot and meet the rest of his friends.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I wonder if electronic badges might work for anyone with a smartphone...like airline tickets? Those who do not have smartphones could still use the old style. I have never been, just throwing it out there.