Magic in the Cue...

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sean, I think you missed the point of the post. Check out M House's story.
Efren picked up a stick he wasn't used to, adjusted immediately, and won the set.

You picked up a stick you weren't used to, missed some balls, and decided you had the wrong arrow and you needed to switch to a different arrow for the rest of your life.

It's not the arrow.

Sheesh, never thought I'd see you and pangit on the same page.

What the... h*ll are you talking about? I didn't write that story -- JoeyA did.

And what's this thing with picking up a stick I wasn't used to, missing some balls, deciding I had the wrong arrow, and switched to a different one for the rest of my life? Those aren't my words! I'm certainly experimenting with different cues, tips, shafts, grip surfaces, etc. (Although that last one I pretty much "have down.")

Care to explain?
-Sean

EDIT: I think I see what you mean -- post #14, posted a long time ago. But never did I say anything along the lines of what you "regurgitated".

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Is this the cue you saw? If so I can't believe he still has it,word is he gets LOTS of offers to sell whatever he's playing with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9VAjvxZ98

I picked up the cue he's using in the match I posted the link for here,and it was ODD to say the least.

That one had a shaft on it that must have been OLD wood,it was fairly stiff even with a 12mm or so diameter and a LONG taper. It also had a bunch of discolored grain in it. There wasn't a ferrule gap,but it had a noticable seam,like the ferrule was replaced rather poorly.

It also had a short wrap,and looked like Efren colored it with a brown marker of some kind,but had worn off in spots. It was also slightly rear-weighted,and had what looked like a SS butt cap. Tommy D.

Tommy,
I can't be sure but your description sounds similar to what I remembered. Sorry, I just saw your post when re-reading the thread.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Sharing this back at my site, my friend - for friends who may not be on AZB.

AK.

Yes, the one he won the 2011 U.S. Open One Pocket Championship with.

We all know it is the Indian and not the arrow, right?

Well, it could not be more true than in this case.

When Efren walked away from the table, Alex P was "admiring" his Efren's cue and I asked Alex to tell me what kind of cue it was. Alex being the perennial pixie, quipped, "bamboo stick", grinning wildly. That brought a chorus of laughter from the gallery and I slipped on down to the TV table to get a closer inspection of Efren's personal cue. I and most others have seen Alex's respect for Efren on more than one occasion. Alex and the rest of the Filipino players all acknowledge Efren as THE KING. One time during the tournament Efren was walking past Alex and not talking to anyone, Alex bowed low and extended both of his hands toward Efren like you see in the movies and would not stop until Efren shooed him away with a wave of his hand. I thought that was some funny stuff. Wish I had that on video. :D Alex is my favorite comedian pool player for sure.

Getting back to the cue.....It was a rather thin shaft, just guessing that it was probably below 12.0 mm. The cue had a few points but for all practical purposes, it was a very plain looking cue. Another thing that caught my eye was the collar of the shaft. It was odd to say the least and did not match the collar on the butt of the cue. The taper looked similar to a pro taper but I can't be sure as I did not have a caliper with me.

Alex had been hitting some balls with THE CUE and I took my chances with facing the wrath of Efren. I know, I know it was stupid for me to hit balls with the champs cue but sometimes as human beings we do stupid things. I figured that my excuse that I was Efren's OFFICIAL "mini-tournament backer" might give me a stay of execution if the tip were to fly off of the cue or the ferrule breaking. Alex warned me that he did not give me permission to use the cue and I acknowledge that and inspected the cue closer. The ferrule had a thin line under it where there was "separation" from the wooden shaft. I placed my fingernail along the separation to make sure that I was seeing things clearly and sure enough there was a thin space not quite as thick as my fingernail under the ferrule. On one side of the shaft, the ferrule actually extended out enough for my fingernail to sit under the ferrule. I was careful not to put pressure on the ferrule for fear of it coming off.

I knew I didn't have much time as Efren would be returning soon. My blood pressure was increasing with each passing second so I set up my signature shot, the one with the object ball frozen to the middle diamond on the foot rail. Cue ball in the kitchen on the head string with the cue ball almost perpendicular to the object ball. I aimed just like I do with my OB Classic Pro and put the same amount of English and was very careful in doing so. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw that the cue ball hit the rail approximately 2 1/8" from the object ball. I shot a second and third time, thinking maybe I was being too careful or not aiming careful enough. I have made this shot many, many times and could not believe that I could not even hit the object ball let alone make it. After aiming directly at the object ball, I managed to barely clip the object ball, not coming close to making it. I whined to Alex that I couldn't play with THE CUE. Alex, opined, "That is what makes Efren such a great player". Efren can truly play with any cue if he can beat the best one pocket players in the world with THAT CUE.

I stopped after a few shots just in time to see Efren returning to the table and took a few moments to ask him a few questions, not wanting to disturb his continuity and focus. He replied that the cue was made or provided to him by Denny Glenn if I heard him correctly. Denny Glenn must be some kind of sorcerer and had given THE CUE some magical powers that only Efren can control. For me, the experience although it aged me quite a bit, I simply came away with more awe than I already had for "Bata". I still don't know if Efren saw me hit any balls with his cue. I only hit four shots with it but I know I couldn't play with it. I was just thankful that he didn't have one his minions punish me for my foolhardy move. As the tournament came to an end, I was in my room, listening to the commentary by Billy I, Corey Deuel and I think Larry Schwartz and I was kind of dozing off because of lack of sleep from the prior days. I set the alarm clock for 3:30 am so that I could donate a few dollars to the blackjack tables before I left for my 7:30 am flight and when I woke a couple of hours later, showered and packed my suitcase for the very early departure, who would I see sitting at the table next to me but THE KING himself. When he walked close by my table, despite still being embarassed by my outrageous move, I managed to mutter a "CONGRATULATIONS CHAMP" and he kindly smiled at me and tapped me on the shoulder. He must have passed on some of his magic to me as I won the next few hands of blackjack and retired a winner.

JoeyA

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
I so love this! And I kid you not!

AK

I'm no Efren by any stretch of the imagination. But I can imagine (maybe it's my imagination) that Efren elects to use the cue he does, because he's an old-school "feel" player, and probably doesn't want to "unlearn" that which comes to him naturally. It's his innate ability to accurately adjust for deflection that is only one of the things that makes him great. I wish I had even a percentage of his ability in this single regard.

We are blessed to be alive during the "Time of Efren" to witness the master in action. I know I am.

-Sean

Sean, back in 2008, I had lunch with Efren and Edwin Reyes . Edwin made him a shaft and he used for a while then stopped . Edwin asked him why he stopped using it . He said he could not adjust to the "hugod", meaning taper.
He said he liked 20+ inches of almost straight taper because the conical one moves too much on his bridge hand.
I asked him about that infamous $15 cue. He said that cue was not even made for him. He won it and he started breaking with it . Then he started liking the tip after it was broken in. So he started using it . That cue was very forward heavy and extra-long with a skinny shaft . The ferrule was made out of a cueball material. He won the US Open, World 8-ball and World-9 ball with that cue.

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Probably just win the tournament with one off the wall.

So true!

AK

Joey, good thing you didn't op the tip off because as I recall, Efren only has one shaft. It might have been the "What's in the case" video. Sammi noted the single shaft and asked him what he would do if the tip came off and Efren just shrugged his shoulders, LOL. Probably just win the tournament with one off the wall. ;)