The Most Cues?

bstroud

Deceased
Hate to blow up anyone’s expectations but I visited Adam Japan years ago and it was a very small shop. Not a factory at all.

I think Viking was the largest producer. They had a factory and produced many cues under other names.

McDermott started later but never caught up.

Bill S.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:boring2:

There also lots of cues made with the Joss logo on the bottom.

Where they are made...I don't know------LOL

:eek:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to blow up anyone’s expectations but I visited Adam Japan years ago and it was a very small shop. Not a factory at all.

I think Viking was the largest producer. They had a factory and produced many cues under other names.

McDermott started later but never caught up.

Bill S.

I'll take that firsthand experience. :thumbup:

Yes, Viking did supply various brands. I have been identifying some of those lately.

Viking had a head start against several of the bigger US brands. Mali started earlier...but they are gone. There was National...and they are gone. Brunswick has not made cues in a long time. Viking was gone too but resurrected.

I wonder about Schmelke?

Anyway, for me it's about whether the cue maker or his apprentice is at a lathe making cues that defines the difference between a cue shop and a cue factory. Obviously the level of automation has something to do with that as well. But even in the most highly automated settings there are people working at lathes. Are they cue makers or technicians? You can train a guy to install pins and joint rings but he is not a cue maker.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Mc Dermott easily wins among American Cuemakers.
Adam may have out done them in their heyday, but Adam is just a brand name now and not a factory from what I have read.
But China and Taiwan have both produced many times more cues than the Americans and have for the last 50 years at least.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

Attachments

• 10860905_10205899411502645_7216290641249814845_o.jpg
    10860905_10205899411502645_7216290641249814845_o.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 96

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Great thread, and the usual names are coming up. It's highly debatable, especially when the name is not on the cue.

Not to hijack the thread, but, how about an alternative to the question... What well known cuemaker made the least cues. Not talking about unknowns working on a lathe in their garage. Not talking about current cuemakers, as they haven't stopped yet. But, well-known cuemakers, who made the least number.

There will be a fair number of opinions. My guess is Frank Paradise. Nobody copied him. Supposedly, he made fewer than either George or Gus, which I believe. I wonder...

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fewest?

Harvey Martin?

George didn't make many....

Fewest?

That's a challenge. ...

There are a few notable that made very few....

I am struggling to think of their names but surely someone will chime in.

There was one that made less than 100...can't think of the name but I am at the bar so I have an excuse.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Fewest?

Harvey Martin?

George didn't make many....

Fewest?

That's a challenge. ...

There are a few notable that made very few....

I am struggling to think of their names but surely someone will chime in.

There was one that made less than 100...can't think of the name but I am at the bar so I have an excuse.

Hope it's a good drink at the bar, but don't overdo it, or you'll be in the ER. Well, you're used to that.. Anyhow, it's a good question, isn't it...

All the best,
WW

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Great thread, and the usual names are coming up. It's highly debatable, especially when the name is not on the cue.

Not to hijack the thread, but, how about an alternative to the question... What well known cuemaker made the least cues. Not talking about unknowns working on a lathe in their garage. Not talking about current cuemakers, as they haven't stopped yet. But, well-known cuemakers, who made the least number.

There will be a fair number of opinions. My guess is Frank Paradise. Nobody copied him. Supposedly, he made fewer than either George or Gus, which I believe. I wonder...

All the best,
WW

Burton Spain

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Not to hijack the thread, but, how about an alternative to the question... What well known cuemaker made the least cues. Not talking about unknowns working on a lathe in their garage. Not talking about current cuemakers, as they haven't stopped yet. But, well-known cuemakers, who made the least number.

Art Cantando would be a candidate for that.