Turning Stone Classic XXIX Updates - 2018

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
rules are you loose two games if you dump the nine after giving opponent the table back .

otherwise you can't in anyway get mad and push the nine down the hole because you missed the shot before

well Joey Cicero said he wanted to continue the match even though he won because Billy Thorp push the nine in the hole illegally

Do you think that was wise He Lost the Match LOL
I think it is better if the players know the rules and play by them. Maybe it is a bad rule, but the players knew the rule going in (I assume they were told) and they had implicitly agreed to play by them.

The same rule -- a concession costs two games -- is used around here in some tournaments. It is in there for a reason. Most players have learned to abide by it. A tournament is different from an action match.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The rail-first shot was makeable, but probably a little more difficult than the slight masse, I suspect, because the OB was slightly to the left of the center of the pocket (as Hatch was looking at it), as I recall. I also think position was more natural with the masse. I think he should have taken more time before shooting the masse, and calmed down a bit so he could give the shot his complete concentration.

Ok, I got it now. I agree on the concentration part because he was breaking every rule of the inner game of tennis stuff...like saying "I can never win this tournament"...and talking to the spectators.
But that was always Dennis as I have watched him, extremely intense and emotional.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Ok, I got it now. I agree on the concentration part because he was breaking every rule of the inner game of tennis stuff...like saying "I can never win this tournament"...and talking to the spectators.
But that was always Dennis as I have watched him, extremely intense and emotional.

Agreed, intense and emotional, probably ultimately to the detriment of his game. Take someone like Nick Varner. If Nick had gotten stuck a little bit behind that ball he would have been perturbed as well, but after a couple shakes of the head he would have cleared his mind and focused his entire concentration on the masse. I bet he would have made it and gotten out too. And he most definitely would have capitalized on the opportunity Hatch had in the last game of the match, when he missed that ball in the side pocket.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, intense and emotional, probably ultimately to the detriment of his game. Take someone like Nick Varner. If Nick had gotten stuck a little bit behind that ball he would have been perturbed as well, but after a couple shakes of the head he would have cleared his mind and focused his entire concentration on the masse. I bet he would have made it and gotten out too. And he most definitely would have capitalized on the opportunity Hatch had in the last game of the match, when he missed that ball in the side pocket.

Yes, exactly. In fact I think every pool player no matter what level can learn from the last few racks of that match as a lesson in mental stamina (and/or mental fatigue) and how conditioning and discipline is required.

If one doesn't have the time to watch it in full, then watch the match from the score of billy 10 and hatch 9 and realize that Dennis was down 10 - 2...so Billy actually is on the tail end of racking and watching his opponent come back in a spectacular way.

Then note, Billy's mental discipline/body mechanics/ focus and how it compares to Dennis.
Ultimately lead to the big guy's missed opportunities, but more so for Billy to step up and capitalize on them.

Very great learning experience for not just Mr. Hatch, but for us all.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Lets not overlook that, despite the Hatch comeback, Billy came with it at 12-11, making a long bank and also a tough seven ball to complete the rack.

Also, Hatch's poor sportsmanship surely doesn't come as a surprise to anyone after his refusal to shake Josh Filler's hand after his loss at the Mosconi.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets not overlook that, despite the Hatch comeback, Billy came with it at 12-11, making a long bank and also a tough seven ball to complete the rack.

Also, Hatch's poor sportsmanship surely doesn't come as a surprise to anyone after his refusal to shake Josh Filler's hand after his loss at the Mosconi.

True that Billy clearly was the better player it would have been a shame for him to lose you know since your up that way that DH actions could be considered mild given his actions in the past heck even when he wins he's shown let's just say not so gracious moments

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes he might have shook it off however don't think that didn't effect Billy ,had DH won it could be said he lost because he lost his focus because of DH actions

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes, but he also missed the 1-ball and 4-ball in that same final game. He was fortunate to get a 3rd inning to run the last 5 balls.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Except when he whacked the 9ball off the table.......

He kept shooting (and missing it) after the match too.
With his battered cue. lol
The comeback was exciting though.

I did forget about that ..lol he’s very lucky his opponent wanted to finish the match because that was a forfeit at this event