The AZB New Book List

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree - this is a great thread that needs support and/or revitalization.

I know there are a few AZB members with extensive cuesport book collections (my wife uses the word “excessive” and thinks it’s more accurate) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing regular contributions to thread this OR start another new BOOK REVIEWS and PICS thread?

A new thread or title has it’s advantages but this thread allows us all to see what has been contributed so far.

I would of course showcase and like to see pics of the actual books along with a short review for onlookers - answer questions, etc. From novellas to biographies to snooker and 3 cushion - textbooks and technical tomes to historical and how-to. All of them.

What do you all think?

~ K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Phil Capele’s Latest project !!

389C1E05-6748-4468-83E4-DE0A54AEB945.jpg

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I agree - this is a great thread that needs support and/or revitalization.

I know there are a few AZB members with extensive cuesport book collections (my wife uses the word “excessive” and thinks it’s more accurate) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing regular contributions to thread this OR start another new BOOK REVIEWS and PICS thread?

A new thread or title has it’s advantages but this thread allows us all to see what has been contributed so far.

I would of course showcase and like to see pics of the actual books along with a short review for onlookers - answer questions, etc. From novellas to biographies to snooker and 3 cushion - textbooks and technical tomes to historical and how-to. All of them.

What do you all think?

~ K

I would like that, I love to read.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This is great thread to resurrect. I had completely forgotten about Tor Lowry's PKF book. I've recently been a little burned out on pool and haven't felt like practicing, but maybe that would be something good to get back in the game with practice-wise.

On a different note, I always thought some of the best pool books I read were the ones that were non-instructional. It's really too bad there aren't more good works of fiction or non-fiction around that are pool related. McGoorty is one of my favorite books in any genre. Byrne's collection of pool stories was also quite good. I'm not sure anyone has written a really quality pool related fiction novel since Tevis even though I think there is plenty of real-life material to use to inspire a good story.

If you have not read the Kid Delicous story I would highly recommend it, its a great read.
Its called Running the Table

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd buy it just to see the pictures. Superstroke couldn't play! Not even a 'B' player.

He once ran an ad offering to play any player for like a Million Dollars eight ball or nine ball. I wonder why there were no takers???

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have not read the Kid Delicous story I would highly recommend it, its a great read.

Great recommendation - and yes sir, I have read it - twice I picked it up the day it came out and literally found it hard to put down. Well written. Engaging.

I think even short, personal book reviews like this along with a small photo or two is just what this thread or similar thread deserves.

Thanks again for the kind suggestion. Great read!

~ K

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

Have to agree also! I've read a bunch of pool books and it's one of the best.
The second time I read it was just as good as the first.
It was great to see him playing again at The Expo this year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Her book is also on the Amazons New Kindle Reader, as is Freddy the Beards, Jeanette Lee's, Mine, and a few more that post and lurk here. Johnnyt

Pool Wars is on there as well. Still sells a dozen or so copies a month! :thumbup:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He once ran an ad offering to play any player for like a Million Dollars eight ball or nine ball. I wonder why there were no takers???

It was a scam, enough said! He was a gifted short money man, bilking small businesses out of $19 plus change while paying for an inexpensive item with a twenty dollar bill. It's called "laying the note."

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got this book: 147 Snooker Drills and Exercises, Andrew Highfield and David Horrix, 2017, The Crowood Press.

CropperCapture[83].png

It has some interesting drills and some not-so-useful drills. If you work on all of them you will definitely know your way around the snooker table. A major problem with the book is the diagrams. I think this is an excellent example of the wrong way to use color.

The diagram below contains all six of the colors. Can you see where they are? The image shown is about twice the size of the images in the book, which are half the width of the page. If you like to work out puzzles, that's fine. If you want to understand quickly and unambiguously what the author is getting at, it's not so good.

001.jpg

I'll give the book a B-. If you are going to use the book to practice, I recommend transferring the diagrams to something legible.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a book I just ran across but have not bought yet. Has anyone seen it? It was published last October.

Does anyone know the author, Henry Powers? He seems to be from the Boston area.

CropperCapture[228].jpg

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a book I just ran across but have not bought yet. Has anyone seen it? It was published last October.

View attachment 509562

Nope, but my name is Lan Powers & I figure the book should be AWESOME if only because of HIS name!
Ammiright? 😆

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member

View attachment 509562

The title doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I looked it up on Amazon, and the only image from inside the book that you could see looked like a diagram of a foul on a snooker table or perhaps it was an in-off at English Billiards. Either way pretty strange.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The title doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I looked it up on Amazon, and the only image from inside the book that you could see looked like a diagram of a foul on a snooker table or perhaps it was an in-off at English Billiards. Either way pretty strange.

It is a standard in-off to return the red to the position for the repeating in-off to the middle pocket. To have that particular shot in a book of "game-winning shots" aimed at pool players is pretty remarkable. I went ahead and ordered it.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
It is a standard in-off to return the red to the position for the repeating in-off to the middle pocket. To have that particular shot in a book of "game-winning shots" aimed at pool players is pretty remarkable. I went ahead and ordered it.

When you get it let us know what else is inside.

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My book "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression" is still available.
Contact me at trwirth369@gmail.com

Attachments

• Front cover of book.jpg
    Front cover of book.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Back cover book.jpg
    Back cover book.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 243