Reducing pocket size.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I have a 9 foot table with pockets reduced to 4 3/8 in the corners and to 5+ on the sides. They were reduced many years ago with some very think pieces of facing material and it effects both the play of the facings as facings and the bounce off the rail when you miss your shot. I'd like to have that corrected, but the mechanics I've spoken to so far seem hesitant because just putting on longer rails would not be sufficient without extending the wood behind the rails.
I did a search of this forum for "shimmed pockets". I saw in a thread that somebody suggested thicker neoprene to replace the facing and they played better. Anybody now where to get these. Does anyone have a more complete description so I could pass it on to a local table mechanic? The link below goes to some pictures of the current pockets.
Any info would be appreciated.
Steve Ellis.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wKMVohjL051h6YPvz-QjPTI_G9gt64QT?usp=sharing

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 foot table with pockets reduced to 4 3/8 in the corners and to 5+ on the sides. They were reduced many years ago with some very think pieces of facing material and it effects both the play of the facings as facings and the bounce off the rail when you miss your shot. I'd like to have that corrected, but the mechanics I've spoken to so far seem hesitant because just putting on longer rails would not be sufficient without extending the wood behind the rails.
I did a search of this forum for "shimmed pockets". I saw in a thread that somebody suggested thicker neoprene to replace the facing and they played better. Anybody now where to get these. Does anyone have a more complete description so I could pass it on to a local table mechanic? The link below goes to some pictures of the current pockets.
Any info would be appreciated.
Steve Ellis.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wKMVohjL051h6YPvz-QjPTI_G9gt64QT?usp=sharing
1/4" neoprene facings are the best quality, and you can get them from Ken at Classic Billiards - 443-928-3113. That might make it slightly better, but using one 1/4" facing at the end of each cushion you'd still end up with 4-3/4" corners and 5-1/4" sides unless you stack two together, in which case you'll end up with 4-1/4" corners and 4-3/4" sides. You'd have to stack a 1/4" and an 1/8" facing on each cushion end to give you the size pockets you state above.

The thicker facing is not going to make it play hardly any noticeable difference better. You really need to start over and find a mechanic HIGHLY EXPERIENCED in the procedure of properly extending the wood on your subrails 5/16" on each end at the corner pockets and 1/4" on each end at the side pockets, then installing new quality cushion rubbers of the correct profile (K55 or K66), then you can still use a 1/8" neoprene facing to get your desired pocket size (4-3/8" corners and 5" sides), and they will play the way they should.

I'm guessing you'll basically get the same advice from the experienced table mechanic members of this forum.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to / revise my previous post, the exact amounts I stated to have your subrails extended are assuming the original subrails came from the factory with standard 5-inch corners and 5-1/2-inch side pocket openings using 1/8" facings, which may or may not be the case.

An experienced mechanic will take the proper measurements on your subrails to know in advance exactly the correct width of wood shim needed to properly extend your subrails at the corners and at the sides, to give you the exact sized pocket openings you desire, when using only a single 1/8" facing at the end of each cushion, when he is done.

If you think there might be any chance you'd want to widen your pockets by 1/8 in the future when having your table re-covered, he might recommend using a 3/16" neoprene facing which is also available from Ken at Classic Billiards. Then, in the future, your mechanic would simply take out the 3/16" facing and replace it with the 1/8" facing to open up your pockets by 1/8". Most mechanics will never recommend ever using anything wider than a 3/16" facing, which is what Diamond actually uses on their tables from the factory.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Thanks for the information Chris, it is appreciated.
To make sure I've got it right, extending the subrail is the only procedure that will result in the rails playing properly after all is said and done.
One further question. Once the sub rails are extended does that mean that the current pockets will have to be replaced?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information Chris, it is appreciated.
To make sure I've got it right, extending the subrail is the only procedure that will result in the rails playing properly after all is said and done.
One further question. Once the sub rails are extended does that mean that the current pockets will have to be replaced?
Not necessary to replace the pockets, but if you can afford it, a set of new leather pockets might be nice to go with your new cushions and cloth. Your source would be Hood Leather Goods, their website is hoodleather.com. They might not cost as much as you'd think. I think you can order directly from them, but if not, PM me and I'd be glad to help you order a set from them. When/if you call them, ask for Alex - he is the expert.