new cue

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend you buy a used cue. Cues you can get for $1000+ is pretty amazing and would have been and might still be $1800-$2000.

I wish you the very best.

Ken Strain

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over a certain amount your paying for cosmetics and ego. My favorite cue was a one piece house cue where the bumper was gone and the butt had a piece of tape around it. I just ordered a sneaky plain vanilla with a black ferrule. I have six cues all nondescript. Fancy schmancy cues don’t impress me.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as bang for the buck, I'd have to go with Keith Josey. Simple, elegant, and reasonably priced.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
ok ... gonna (going to) order a custom Schmelke SP Monday. Now it's time to pick a custom cue maker for something ... 1k or under. I'm thinking:
1. Pat Diveney
2. Bob Frey
3. Chris Nitti
4. Keith Josey

Granted that under 1k it's not going to be very fancy. Still - I trust the collective wisdom of AZB. At my age I can't wait years .. so ...

what's the best bang for a buck?

edit: I'm interested in how it plays more than looks. I prefer a softer hit.
You got some wisdom, and you got some "wisdom." Hopefully, you have a bucket for all that salt.

I don't know all the reasons why you want to buy a cue for under $1k or why you've selected these four cue builders. All are good choices for playability. I'd be happy with any of them, if I could get one for under $1k.

There's my "wisdom."

Freddie <~~~ pass the salt

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Thank you all for your input (although I've never considered a Schmelke a waste of money. :)). I'll think this over and let you know what I end up getting. Really appreciate the couple offers to help me get one too - just may take advantage of that. Thinking now I may wait til 1st of year after all the holiday gifts are paid for.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you wait until the first of the year, why not wait another few months and go to Super Billiard Expo ?Then test drive some custom and production cues. High end used too. Having said that I have settled on a under $500 Frey SP.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not 100% for sure what you ,Ean by your initial post ( I read it as you wanted something nice while you're custom is being made ) but regardless I can recommend a Frey ( unless you were just looking for a full on custom ). Imho, Frey is one of, if not THEE best value from any cue maker today! Awesome hit, top quality construction , nicest and most honorable cue maker I know or know of . You can get an awesome sneaky that plays unbelievable for between $500-$600 and they should be in stock. ( Contact Gene as he is his official rep and I know he stocks them. Also, I've dealt with Gene and he is top notch too. Both him and Bob went above and beyond for me without even being asked. He's here on AZ or if you want his cellie just lmk. Good luck!

Ps, just as an example of what I mean with these guys - I ordered an Ebony Birdseye sneaky I had the specs customized to my likings. They wouldn't accept a deposit or money up front from me - said wanted to make sure it was exactly what I wanted and liked it before paying. Not only that but Gene drove probably an hour and a half to hand deliver it to me and played with it for maybe an hour BEFORE PAYING. Top notch guys, both of them. Imo, should be the standard what all cue makers and reps should shoot for ! !!!

Last edited:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
OK .. so how I ended up. I have a Frey cue to my specs on the way. Well under a grand .. so I put the rest into a Diveney ... haven't decided on what it will be yet .. sent money ...we shall see. If ya'all want pics of the Frey .. let me know.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If your calling shmelke for a blank, just have them make the whole cue

Won't find a better priced, quicker turnaround on what's consistently known as great players

Just ordered a custom sneaky Pete butt from them
230! Quoted 3 weeks to make!