14 Days: The Great Pool Experiment with Tor Lowry.....my diary

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I just finished up "14 Days: The Great Pool Experiment" with Tor Lowry. Fellow participants were my best friend Tony Burch and Butch Jette. We also had another friend/fellow league player, Alex Olmos, stop by for about 3 days to see if Tor could show him a few things to work on.

I posted an online diary thru a Facebook group for "14 Days" participants only. This is a copy & paste effort from that, but I'm sure I'll be adding to it a bit, since I've had a few days to let things digest.

I thought it would be good to just post everything on here, 1 day/1 post at a time, and then let everyone see what it entailed.

I can tell you this, short and sweet......this was THE single greatest experience in my pool career. Tor Lowry has the best combination of pool knowledge with the ability to communicate as anyone I've ever came across. That's no slight to anyone else at all. He's just a natural born instructor.

Anyway, we'll call this the prologue. Hopefully everyone will let me post all 14 days before jumping in, so I'll have a clean slate for everyone to dissect........

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 1 of 14:

Well, Day 1 of 14 is in the books, as of last night for myself, Tony Burch and Butch Jette.

I played the Ghost, so that Tor could see my patterns/game and predictably sucked. I did manage to run out once out of about 10. I wonder if that will make YouTube? Lol.

Tor completely altered my stance and reinforced that I need to keep my closed bridge on the table. Not too many changes (so far) besides that, but still pretty significant.

Probably hit close to 1000 balls on the Stroke Drill and it's burning my new stance in pretty good.

Got in about 4 1/2 hours yesterday and feel great. Can't wait till this afternoon!

Last edited:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 2 of 14:

Not too much new to report. Hit another 750 balls on the "Stroke Drill" in about 5 hours with no breaks. I counted.

Yes, I'm methodical and slow-paced. But, I thought this was a good time to burn in a complete shot routine (post-decision-making). As in, stroking the cue before stepping into the shot (Port of Arms), sliding down into the shot.....nice and slow.....and even a consistent cueball-address.

I have worn a flat spot into the side/tip of my middle bridge-finger from sliding down onto the cloth. Kinda like you might get from a pencil in elementary school (or was that just me?).

I have also started a callous on the inside, second knuckle of my middle finger (back hand). I'm holding the cue pretty loose, but that area is where the pressure is.

I've burned in the new stance pretty well now. My stroke feels pretty consistent, but tomorrow will tell the story.

I believe Day 3 will start off with the "Stroke Drill" just as a warm-up. Then we will go to "Ball Pocketing". Perhaps a pooooossibility of "9B Half-Table Pattern Play"....if, we prove ourselves to be ready for it.

Simply by hitting 750 balls the same way.....over and over....it's allowed me to focus on things that I never really "had time to do" before. Because I've not had to worry about position play or ball-pocketing. It's just me and my Stroke. Becoming one.

Another small, unintended, but hopefully significant correction is the distance of my CB address. I have vision problems that will probably be talked about on our episode. I suffer with double-vision all the time. Long story. Born that way. I can either close one eye to remedy the situation or tilt my head. I've tried both while playing pool. Closing one eye works. Tilting my head throws everything out of whack.

This condition also affects my depth perception, if I'm only using 1 eye. So, my address might sometimes be 2-3 inches away from tip-to-CB. Not great for pinpoint accuracy, I'd think.

With this new stance putting head/eye alignment into a different place, it's taken out much of the double-vision issues I have (not completely, but a marked improvement). Consequently, I have less problems with depth perception. Now I get up to 1/2" or even less on address. Probably 4-5 times out of 750.....I actually grazed the CB with my tip during practice strokes. Will this make a positive difference in my accuracy? I'd like to think so.

I also can't stress enough, as to how nice of a guy that Tor is. It's very comfortable spending time with him. We occasionally comment, cut up, and laugh for a few moments. Then everything will go silent and we're absorbed in the process all over again. It really feels natural.

I guess I had more to say than I thought. :)

Last edited:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Sidebar:

Just had Easter dinner with Tor Lowry, Tony Burch, Butch Jette, and his wife Kathy. She's an AMAZING cook and such a supportivep erson regarding her husband's pool addiction.

Anyway, great meal and a great day of pool.

I'm playing so much now, I don't have time for anything else. And that's awesome.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 3 of 14:

Decent results to report. I had to work today and that caused me to fall a bit behind my 2 partners. They're starting at about 10-10:30 a.m. and on some days I won't be able to get there till 2-3 p.m. I'm still getting in a good amount of table time, but they're advancing sooner.

We did some basic ball-pocketing drills. In case anyone is curious, there are no "systems" to making balls, as far as Tor teaches. If you miss a shot, he sets it back up and makes you do it again. It won't be long till you figure out if it's a "trouble shot". If it is, take a picture of it with your cell phone. It's should be part of your practice routine till you "own it".

At this point, my iPhone 4S 32 GB is almost filled up with shot pictures. Lol. Ok, not really, but yea. I have my share.

So, I made it thru the Ball-Pocketing phase, but as I said, we identified certain shot types that I have issues with. This was the first time that I got a bit frustrated.

Then we progressed to 9B Half-Table Pattern Play. Tor started all of us on the 3B Ghost. You are restricted to using the vertical line of the CB. That's Follow, Center Cue Ball, and Draw. NO English. You can't pass the middle of the side pockets with the CB. You can, however, shoot the balls in any of the 6 pockets.

I only had enough time to cover the basics of the Half-Table Pattern Play. I didn't officially play the Ghost, but I was beating the 3B with regularity.

Tomorrow I'll be attacking it with a vengeance. Still feeling really good.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 4 of 14:

Well, today was frustrating to say the least. I know I'm not a great player, but I thought I was a decent one. Apparently I'm not even to that stage yet. :(

After walking thru the steps of 9B Half-Table Pattern Play the day before, and breezing thru virtually every random 3B set-up.....I blitzed the formal 3B Ghost in short order, 5-2, on my first attempt today. I gaffed a couple of easy shots, which cost me a shut-out. Sigh.

Moving on to the 4B Ghost, I felt confident. Four hours or so later, my confidence was crushed. I jumped out 1-0 on my first attempt and ended up losing 5-1. Ouch.

After a couple more losses ranging from a 5-0 whitewash to a sound 5-2 defeat, I was able to make it to the hill before the Ghost, yet still fell short 5-4.

I'm having trouble letting out my stroke. I'm not sure why. I know it's in there. My new stance felt pretty good during this session.

I think I forgot to mention that Tor suggested a new grip yesterday. I'm now using my thumb and forefinger only.....and VERY lightly. I had been using only my middle finger and ring finger, while letting my forefinger and pinkie point downwards. I became more familiar with this new grip today, but I was still lapsing back into my old one from time to time. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day and obviously I won't be either.

As is, hats off to my partners. Butch Jette was able to defeat the 4B Ghost towards the end of the night and is now working on the 5B spook.

Tony Burch has defeated the 5B Ghost and will be on Full-Table Pattern Play playing 6B tomorrow. He tried some 6B Casper on half-table at the end of today, and played it fairly close, I believe, but couldn't get over the hump. Tor said that it gets pretty tough to win that battle and prefers players to go full table, with the use of English, when you hit 6.

My partners and I came up with a neat, lil training drill after Tor left.....that probably has the longest name of any pool game in existence. We called it "9B Ghost Half-Table Pattern Play Ring Game". Lol. Seriously.

We've started out with the 4B Ghost for now on it. The first player randomly throws out the 1B, 2B, 3B, and 9B on half-table. We then put down practice donuts under the balls for precision repeatability. Each player takes a turn analyzing and calling out the pattern/pocket for each ball. Then they each get an attempt to run out.

Once a player solve/executes the pattern, they're done with it. If they run out and do NOT deviate from their pattern, they earn 2 pennies from the other players who were unable to do the same.

If no one gets out on the 1st attempt, play keeps rotating till everyone does. If you ever get out after failing on the first attempt OR alter your pattern ON the first attempt, you earn only 1penny. The last player to solve the pattern gets nothing. Also, if a player cannot get out and just wants to move on, they can "buy out" that pattern and pay a penny to the rest of the players who DID finish it.

For the next rack, the 2nd player in the original shooting order rolls out the balls and starts the round. Rinse and repeat.

It's a simple and neat game that we developed in 5 minutes and spent 2+ hours engrossed in. You get to see some alternative patterns by learning from other players. It would also be a neat, lil action game that might be even more fun with $1 or $5 bills instead of pennies.

Anyway, I'm now caught up with my 14 Day diary, so back to the table tomorrow.

Oh yeah, today was my 40th birthday. Dammit. I feel old as hell on the outside and like a 12 year old kid on the inside. I just can't believe it. I truly thought about it a lot today.

So, even tho I hit a roadblock this evening, I spent 12 hours playing pool, not to mention had a great lunch at Old Chicago Pizza with Tor and my 2 playing buddies. Not much could have made it better.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 5 of 14:

We worked on Full Table Pattern Play with the use of English being allowed.

Starting with the 4B Ghost, the three of us took turns calling out the pattern and attempting to run out. If we missed or failed to get correct position, then it had to be set up all over again.

Sometimes we'd get out. Sometimes we wouldn't. Butch has a nice 9' Brunswick Gold Crown IV with 4.5" pockets, that seem to play a bit tighter, plus brand spanking new Tournament Blue Simonis 860 cloth. It's definitely not your garden variety barbox with thick cloth and buckets. This big track takes some finesse and a good aim.

Alex Olmos came over and got in some table time with Tor as well. He has some things to work on, but he should see some improvement.

My new stance is pretty much burned in and the new grip is getting there. Baby steps.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 6 of 14:

Today we worked on problem shots for a loooong time. Documenting each one and hitting as many as we could.

I literally worked on a simple, 1-foot, straight-in shot along the rail for at least an hour. Seriously. I was so far inside my head by the end of that.....I was outta my head. It was painful to experience. I might make 10 in a row, but I'd catch waaaay too much of the rail and it would wipe it's feet about 3 times before dropping in. I finally had to accept that my eyes are playing tricks on me and adjust my aim. It was weird.

Each of us ended up with plenty of things to work on. It was a sobering day for all.

We also tried getting the CB into smaller areas for position. Taking BIH and creating angles that normally might be overlooked. Stun shots and floating between blocker balls.

At the end of the evening we spent a lil bit of time playing the Half Table Ghost again. Butch was able to beat the 5B, and I FINALLY defeated the 4B Ghost. It was hill-hill and I'm not particularly proud of that. I choked on other hill-hill sets and realized it's mostly in my head.

I had some AMAZING outs in sets that I ended up losing.

Tor was rolling at the phantasmagorical shots I was making. And the easy ones I was slamming into the end rail.

Anyway, that's a load off my mind.

I actually turned right around playing the 5B Ghost at half-table and lost hill-hill on a long, but makeable shot. I'll end up getting there.

Still seeing progress.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 7 of 14:

We all worked some more on Full-Table Pattern Play. Tried to develop and run out at least 2 different patterns per 5B set-up.

Again, it seems like the other guys are ahead of me on the "execution curve". I feel like I have a great grasp on seeing the lines and the patterns. But, I simply have a difficult time actually executing the run-out. I'm choking by either getting out of shape immediately on the BIH shot.....or an important stroke shot in the middle.....or I'll run all the way out and miss the money ball.

FRUSTRATING.

I DO feel like I'm getting better. But, a new stance, new grip, and altered bridge is a lot to absorb.

Oh, I also had a strange revelation on an oft-ignored part of the game.....

At one point, I rolled a bit too far for position. Now, I had a great shot.....if I could have reached it. It was a shot that would only be possible by using my off-hand or the mechanical bridge.

Now, I'm a left-handed player, but have a lot of experience shooting off-handed and it honestly doesn't bother me. Butch is 99% convinced that I should just make a permanent switch to the right side, as I'm a naturally right-handed person. When I'm playing, I honestly don't think about it. If I roll to a place where I need to switch over from left to right, I generally don't miss a beat.

One of the reasons I can do this, and prefer to do this, relates to my vision. Long story. But, the other reason is that I SUCK with the mechanical bridge. I RARELY use it and prefer shooting righty.

Well, anyway, a shot comes up. I tell Tor that I'll have to switch over. He urged me to not do that and just use the mechanical bridge. So, I line it up and promptly miscue. Set it up again. Miscue. I'm immediately frustrated because I just desperately want to be able to run out and I feel like I haven't shot that well since we've started. Yet, I can tell that I'm a better player. Because I'm having to execute stroke shots and move the ball around in ways I've never done before.

Anyway, after miscuing a couple of times, I grab the bridge again, and without thinking, switch hands with it.....line it up....and smack the ball in, not to mention drawing it back for perfect shape. We set it up again. Same thing.

Then it hits me. For all these years, I've been absentmindedly shooting righty with the bridge. And it was always wobbly.

Today I used it lefty, by accident, and executed it perfectly. It came up again later and I pocketed a money ball that would have normally given me problems.

This has been a very enlightening week so far.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 8 of 14:

Spent a lot more time on problem shots, 9B Full Table Pattern Play, and then started some 8B Full Table Patterns.

At one point, we ran a few 7B Half Table Patterns. I'm starting to come around on a few things. At some point, I'll attacha picture of a rack that I was able to plan out and execute. All balls are within the first 1.25 diamonds. Only one object was pocketed up table. The rest went in the bottom corners. It was a tricky one, but I ran it out both times I tried it.

Slowly but surely I think I'll get this.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 9 of 14:

We continued to work on trouble shots and 8B/9B Full Table Pattern Play.

I feel like we're coming around, slowly but surely. We generally pick a decent pattern. Still have some problems with getting out of shape at times.

I do know that a couple of my original trouble shots were originally around a 20% success rate. Now they might be closer to 70-80%. I'm actually looking forward to them popping up now.

Still a long ways to go. I believe we're going to cover Breaking at some point, but may run out of time for the Kicking/Banking and Safety Play material. Honestly, I'm disappointed, as I'm a 1P and Banks player, but I can't complain. This has been the best pool experience of my life.

Tor is simply a great guy and a true wealth of knowledge. Just very easy to learn from.....

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 10 of 14:

Can't believe that Tor has been here this long. I do wish this was a 21 Day Experiment.

Today we mostly rolled out balls at random and talked our way thru patterns. If an odd shot popped up in the pattern, then we took turns trying it out. Also, continued to work on trouble shots as usual.

Hit a lot of long, straight draw shots. Lubricating the stroke. Once I start feeling the feeling, I can set the CB and OB up about 3-4 diamonds apart, then draw it back 6 diamonds. Not ultra consistently, but it is becoming more frequent.

Time is running out.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 11 of 14:

I hit a fatigue wall today. Or at least I think so.

I didn't sleep well last night. Then I had a job interview at 7:30 a.m. this morning for a position that I've been waiting months for. While the interview went well, I'm not sure I'll get it. It would be a step up from the job I've got now, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I started hitting balls earlier than normal and by 6:15 p.m., I couldn't hardly see straight. I need sleep. Guess I've had a lot on my mind.

Anyway, we played some 7B & 8B Full Table Pattern Play. Hit any trouble shots that cropped up several, several times and then added them to our lil "shot books". I bought some of them on Amazon for $2.95. They've become pretty handy.

At the end of the session, I asked Tor about his theory on the break. He went over it briefly. I think we'll work on that our last day.

Tor is adamant that we work on pattern play and trouble shots as much as possible. It's a good plan.

I also had a chance to sit down for lunch 1-on-1 with Tor at Panera Bread. We had a great conversation. It completely reinforced my perception that he's a helluva guy and a complete pool "sponge". He has such a thirst for knowledge.

Heading into the homestretch.....

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 12 of 14:

Still tired. Had to work today and it's hard having a job while doing this. Thankfully my employer is pretty cool about this. I'm taking Monday completely off, as that's our last day. I'll need the refresher.

Anyway, we worked on 7B, 8B, and 9B Full Table Pattern Play. As always, if a trouble shot crept up, we repeated it till we understood what we needed to do.

Also, Tor came up with a great game called "Kick-Safe". It's really, really fun. It hones your defense and CB position skills.

I don't want Tor to leave. It'll be like losing a friend. Not sure when we'll cross paths again, but hopefully someday. I'm a pretty sentimental guy, so I hate goodbyes. Yes, I know we have 2 days left, but yesterday and today, the fact that it's almost over truly sank in.

I've had SO much fun doing this. I plan on winning a lot when this is over, so the fun should continue.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 13 of 14:

Continued with 6B - 9B Full Table Pattern Play. More trouble shots. More things to work on in the near future.

Played the Kick-Safe game some more. Worked on a bit of safety play.

Went over 3 different kicking systems regarding 1-rail and 2-rail kicks. Pretty cool.

Slept decent last night. Felt better today than I have in a while. My stance is really squared up and snookery (new word). That's working well for me. My grip is becoming more natural. My bridge is firm, yet easy to stroke thru.

Tomorrow is the day.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Day 14 of 14:

Day 14 of 14 for....."14 Days: The Great Pool Experiment" by Tor Lowry.

Well, today was it. It's over. I can't believe it even happened. I really can't believe that it's over.

It's like a good buddy moved away. I'm so accustomed to hearing Tor's voice, it's going to be strange around here without him.

Today was pretty loose. Although, in fairness, every day was. Lol. We really had fun.

Tor critiqued our break shots and made a few suggestions. We went over a lil bit more on kicking. Also worked for quite a while on caroming the CB to an area for safety play.

At one point, something clicked in my head. I kinda, sorta came up with my own lil system and it was working very well. Once Tor saw that it did so, he seemed to get excited and encouraged me to keep executing it. We moved balls around and finally he found situations where it broke down a bit.

But, in mere moments, he took some convoluted parts of the new system and streamlined it. Then we were able to prove it many times over, providing we executed the shot correctly. At that point, it seemed repeatable from virtually everywhere.

I'm hoping he takes the time to iron out the details and passes it on to others.

Somewhere during the day, Butch's phone started going off like crazy and we found out that we were being streamed live to the internet (I think). Not sure how that worked, as I was concentrating on other things, but that was the gist of it.

Now that I think about it, Banking is just about the only thing that we didn't truly cover, but we have the video, plus it goes hand-in-hand with Kicking....which we did cover, so I think I'll be ok.

Towards the end of the day, we had a great Mexican lunch and then Tor pretty much answered any final questions we had. Gave us a pep talk. Told us to stay after it. We cut the final testimonials and that was a wrap.

I want to thank my parents, my brother, my sister-in-law, fellow participants Butch Jette (it was his pool room), Tony Burch (who is my best friend and pushes me more than anyone else. I HATE losing to him. FWIW, I believe he could be the strongest player of us 3, if he'd stick with it and KEEP....HIS....HEAD....DOWN), plus Alex Olmos, who came in for a few days to get some pointers and table time. Also a thanks to Gene Albrecht aka Geno Machino. His eye/head alignment techniques work. Perfect Aim!

And finally, a huge thanks to Tor Lowery himself. He's spreading "The Art of Pool the Proper Way" like a modern-day Johnny Appleseed across this great nation.

I'm afraid that he'll never get as much credit as he deserves for this. I hope this project achieves what it intended....not only for Tor, but for the sport of pool itself.

I plan on paying this forward.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Justin,
I think you have started paying it forward with the FINE 14 day report.

Thanks for sharing all of the details. See you at White Diamonds in the Fall.

JoeyA

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you were playing the different levels of the ghost did it include BIH after the break?

Thanks for the great write up!