Mosconi Cup

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to say one more thing hopefully make some people open their eyes. I played 3 matches. One singles where Mark Grey basically played a perfect set so he deserved to win. 5-1 I lose. Skyler and me win and Rodney and I won. So me personally, I won 2/3 matches. If anyone thinks someone is so far inferior be use you lost a race to 5 and basically didn't have a chance then I'm not sure what to say. Not bashing Europe either, they definitely played better and deserved the win. So most guys played two singles, and 1 double or 2 of each. I've lost and beaten Orcollo, SVB, etc 11-0 actually many times.

Crazy to read some of the things I've read on here I don't think is fair. Obviously Europe last 7 years have dominated. But don't think Dechaine, Skyker, and I can't go win a World title. I'm not saying this to be cocky or prove anything but I would play Albin, or Mark Gray, even 10 ball they outbreak me 9 on spot but 10 ball I've played more and still probably don't break as well. I think Darren is their best player, him and Neils. I've already played Jayson but I think he's a little better player now he's won everything. But also Skylers been to Qatar once, I've never been. We don't play those tournaments, so obsiouvly when you play 25 big events a year I hope you have some titles.

One thing I do agree with though is bar table kills us not just the points but everywhere in US most events are 7ft. Just take this year or next... I go back home, play Chohans tournament, Music City, then Derby(race to 3 banks and 1pocket), then there will be 6-7 more 7ft tournaments, then Turningstone LOL.. And they have tough fields... I could win 5 in a row and it wouldn't be as good as someone getting 5-6th in the China Open in most people's eyes🙄🙄
I'm also looking to start traveling and playing the bigger events. I'm going to go to Philippines for a month and after that plan on playing a lot international big tournaments.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm going to say one more thing hopefully make some people open their eyes. I played 3 matches. One singles where Mark Grey basically played a perfect set so he deserved to win. 5-1 I lose. Skyler and me win and Rodney and I won. So me personally, I won 2/3 matches. ...

Actually 2 out of 4, ignoring the Teams match (you forgot the doubles match loss with Dechaine that you mentioned in an earlier post).

Thanks for your comments; it's good to hear a player's views on some of these things, such as 7-foot tables!

Good luck in the coming year.

Last edited:

Justin Bergman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had to make myself look better. Lol just joking yeah your right 2/4... Dechaine and I lost hill hill.. Brutal match

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Keep it up Berg, your a monster. I'd back you against any of the Euros.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I do agree with though is bar table kills us not just the points but everywhere in US most events are 7ft.

Personally I think it's disgraceful that pros like you are basically forced to play bar boxes. The rise of the bar box is easily the worst thing that's ever happened to pool, I don't care how many pros come out and say that they like the format and that it's fun. I have to think most of them are just putting on a good act for the organizers.

I know there are some people that are down on the players, but there are also a lot of guys (like me) that feel like all of you are enormously talented and able to take on the world, but that the team as a whole hasn't been firing on all cylinders for various reasons. Maybe you don't want to talk about it, or can't talk about it. I'm just curious what it feels like from your perspective, if you feel like sharing.

edit:
If it were up to me, the Mosconi cup would be just 14.1, by the way, or at least a couple of days worth. 14.1 Scotch doubles would be a serious test of teamwork, IMHO.

Last edited:

Prey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Justin. Keep up the hard work and the fruits of your labor shall pay off ten fold!

app4dstn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you read here and what would be said by someone in the same room are, I suspect, quite different. It was a tough outing in tough conditions. Reasonable and informed folk know what it takes to even get to be in that position. Good luck and good travels in the upcoming year. And post more often!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the overall view of the AZ crowd, if there is such a thing, is that you and Skyler Woodward are the bright spots on this team. I don't really care about the results, my eyes tell me that this event is not too big for either of you two. You two stroked some phenomenal shots. This also goes hand in hand with the fact that the two of you cue the ball better than the others -- Shane included.

I like seeing that this event has you fired up. Hopefully, the others feel the same.

fram6878

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin, I agree 100% with your statement above. We need more big table tourneys and less bar table action for you guys. Big fan and keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to say one more thing hopefully make some people open their eyes. I played 3 matches. One singles where Mark Grey basically played a perfect set so he deserved to win. 5-1 I lose. Skyler and me win and Rodney and I won. So me personally, I won 2/3 matches. If anyone thinks someone is so far inferior be use you lost a race to 5 and basically didn't have a chance then I'm not sure what to say. Not bashing Europe either, they definitely played better and deserved the win. So most guys played two singles, and 1 double or 2 of each. I've lost and beaten Orcollo, SVB, etc 11-0 actually many times.

Crazy to read some of the things I've read on here I don't think is fair. Obviously Europe last 7 years have dominated. But don't think Dechaine, Skyker, and I can't go win a World title. I'm not saying this to be cocky or prove anything but I would play Albin, or Mark Gray, even 10 ball they outbreak me 9 on spot but 10 ball I've played more and still probably don't break as well. I think Darren is their best player, him and Neils. I've already played Jayson but I think he's a little better player now he's won everything. But also Skylers been to Qatar once, I've never been. We don't play those tournaments, so obsiouvly when you play 25 big events a year I hope you have some titles.

One thing I do agree with though is bar table kills us not just the points but everywhere in US most events are 7ft. Just take this year or next... I go back home, play Chohans tournament, Music City, then Derby(race to 3 banks and 1pocket), then there will be 6-7 more 7ft tournaments, then Turningstone LOL.. And they have tough fields... I could win 5 in a row and it wouldn't be as good as someone getting 5-6th in the China Open in most people's eyes🙄🙄
I'm also looking to start traveling and playing the bigger events. I'm going to go to Philippines for a month and after that plan on playing a lot international big tournaments.

I think u got potential and i see the drive in you to be a good player.

But may i ask why did you post the comment on mark gray ?

Anybody that truly understand pool knows luck plays a big factor in a short race to 5 and he happen to be the better player , but u will get your chances in future so be gracious about it.

Do i think u are on par with the world best ?
Not now but i think u cld be on ur way if u travel often to philpines n taiwan to improve.

Make it an effort to visit taiwan too ,
Good food n weather n players there are incredibly fundentally sound so u will learn a great deal just playing em monsters.

Good luck in ur training camp , i wish u nothing about the best :)

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for representing the USA Justin, Just keep playing....

Good luck, good rolls!

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I respect all of this, and especially agree about the bar box issue. We should note, in passing, WHY there is so much bar box play. It is all about money. It is much cheaper for a promoter to throw together 50 bar box tables than to provide an equivalent number of quality 9 footers for a tournament. So they do. And if no one who matters objects, why wouldn't they? The only solution I can envision is for all the top players to join together and refuse to play any matches on bar boxes. Not likely, I know, but probably the only way this will change.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Don't worry about AZ Billiards forum....that doesn't mean leave and never come back, its nice to hear your thoughts.

This place is like anywhere else on the web, you are much more likely to read negative words than the positive ones.

Justin you have nothing to explain, for the most part we are just sore losers but most of us know whats going on.

I am sure you don't remember me but we met last year in Vegas, next year I will make it a point to introduce myself.

Thanks for representing USA!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Justin Bergman...if it makes you feel better....
...I called you and Sky for the doubles match....
...and I bet on you to beat Jayson...
...and I called you as a future Hall of Famer.

So keep hitting balls....I want a clean sweep

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin! I have a friend who is a pro and we both agree you were the strongest of the team.

To what do you attribute the lackluster performance of DeChaine and SVB?

Us keyboard critics can speculate all we want, I'd love to hear what you think.

Stay awesome!

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks Justin for coming here many believe as do I your a very talented player Sky also I'd add Billy Thorp is right on your heels ,
It's short races yes and that leads to less errors wins , that being lag ,breaking, safety play and missed shots ,all together we simply are behind ,,

Fargo rate has you many spots ahead of Albin and I truley believe your skill set is higher than his however that guy for some reason or another shines like a pearl in high pressure situations his mental toughness and ability to play above his head is really pretty impressive,,
I'm pretty sure you agree , and might wonder how he does it , I've wondered such at my level a many of time how a player who was less talented keeps finishing higher than me in bigger events ,, it's certainly not luck ,
It's mind set ability no more no less he can play his game or even better under the most extreme circumstances , many of our players for lack of better term shoot thier load early or simply can't get it up when the rubber meets the road
They simply do that better in both cases for yrs now ,

I believe you and the young guns will right the ship sooner or later I look forward to seeing it happen

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin

Thanks for playing for USA and thanks for posting your thoughts here. As for my view, I could care less about the MC. It's an exhibition with ridiculously short races and doubles matches. We don't play pool that way so I don't care about it in reality. You earned the right to go play so I hope you had fun. Did you give 100%? Did you stay sober and as focused as you could leading up to and during the event? If so, you did your part and forget about everyone else. This event is about having fun but people get so wrapped up in it. Forget it and go back to making a living here and cleaning up the US tournaments. If we wre really trying to find the best players or team, we wouldn't even be playing 9 ball. From a 20,000 ft view the whole process is a joke....

Hi Justin, I am a big fan of your game. Love your playing style. Nice to see a post from you on here. It was really nice seeing you play in the Mosconi Cup. I think it is really cool that you are planning a trip to the Philippines for a month. I hope you do good against the players there. I imagine you will do very well.