Schmelke Cues..... Again

rbrtjs3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there have been a few stories about Schmelke cues here lately; but I thought this deserved its own thread.

About three weeks ago I sent Schmelke Cues a cue that I purchased from them several years ago for warranty consideration. The issue was that the butt had developed a slight roll in the middle of it. I included the shaft -
even though there was nothing wrong with it - other than the fact that it was very very used. About a week after sending it, I got a call from David Schmelke. He was very nice, as he always is, and he informed me that they
would be sending me a new cue toward the end of the month. When he said new cue, I wondered if he meant that they were going to replace the entire cue, to include the shaft, but I didn't ask. Well today the cue arrived.
Brand new butt and shaft. It is a beautiful cue. In fact, it is nicer in many ways than the one I sent back to them. The butt is all nicely figured bacote. (See the pictures below - Sorry if they are too big. I've tried everything). And it rolls straight.

Thanks to David Schmelke for more than fair treatment in the matter. It is much appreciated.

And to my fellow AZers - I thought you should know.

Robert

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpg
    IMG_5316.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 2,778
  • IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 2,666
Last edited:

radnur22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool of the Schmelke to replace the cue. The only response I got from a cue maker when I asked about the warp mine developed was "buy a new one". I followed his advice and bought one from McDermott :wink:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's people like the Schmelke family restore our faith in "customer service" and standing behind their products. Going to the extreme to be customer friendly. I ordered a few cues...some mistakes were made on their end...and on one of the cues I did not like the wood. They said to send whatever I was not happy with back for exchange or refund. I ended up keeping everything. I appreciated the positive/immediate recourse. I hope they are busy and extremely successful...they deserve it.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke is excellent. Dave made me 2 shafts last summer and they both play excellent.

I had a warped butt on a well known production steel jointed cue that cost about $700. It was a month old and severely warped butt. I sent it back and they told me "too bad, so sad, no warranty." I called the owner and he said "Go commit a sexual act upon yourself." only he used just two words and hung up.

Not everybody handles a warp problem well, but Schmelke stands behind their work 100%.

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice story and glad it worked out for you. Wood looks good!I recommended a teammate to go through them and she loved. Price was good to have a custom cue if your not looking for a name cue maker to make it. They treated her fair as i saw the email interaction they had with each other and told of the phone conversations. I wonder if cue makers don't want to deal with our warpage issues because they thing we may have mishandled the cue?.?.?.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
THIS is what you call customer service, above and beyond. If everyone did business like this, there would be a lot fewer "grip" threads ;)

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke is excellent. Dave made me 2 shafts last summer and they both play excellent.

I had a warped butt on a well known production steel jointed cue that cost about $700. It was a month old and severely warped butt. I sent it back and they told me "too bad, so sad, no warranty." I called the owner and he said "Go commit a sexual act upon yourself." only he used just two words and hung up.

Not everybody handles a warp problem well, but Schmelke stands behind their work 100%.
I wonder if the owner you talk about was at Joss? Dan Janes is a well respected man with a great history but I've heard very similar stories about terrible customer service from him and I have my own horror story as well.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just found out recently the cue I play with was made with a Schmelke blank, and from hearing all these good things about them I am glad it was.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on the many positive things I've heard about Schmelke on this website I just ordered a R065 sneaky pete with cocobolo butt and points. Had it customized with a 3/8x10 joint and a black collar and it was still a total of $174.07 including shipping charges. I wouldn't even have known about Schmelke if it weren't for these forums, and I love sending some business to a small American cue company. I'll do a review when it arrives and I've played with it some.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if the owner you talk about was at Joss? Dan Janes is a well respected man with a great history but I've heard very similar stories about terrible customer service from him and I have my own horror story as well.

Two people here in this thread said they had such an experience with Schmelke.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Based on the many positive things I've heard about Schmelke on this website I just ordered a R065 sneaky pete with cocobolo butt and points. Had it customized with a 3/8x10 joint and a black collar and it was still a total of $174.07 including shipping charges. I wouldn't even have known about Schmelke if it weren't for these forums, and I love sending some business to a small American cue company. I'll do a review when it arrives and I've played with it some.

Can't beat those prices, and many many reviews in how well they play

I been pondering one myself just cause I love sneakies

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know for a fact Schmelke stands behind their product even after use. I do recall reading on this forum, that Joss warranty is no longer good the moment you chalk the cue. Is that true or false? A one word response will suffice!

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a trip to Schmelke's store/shop with Reuben Fisher a couple weeks ago. David gave a tour and while walking through there I saw a blank that looked really cool. I ended up buying it...
Met a few of the guys working there. They do about 200 cues a month now. Back in the late 80's they did 16,000 in one year if I remember correctly..
They have some cool old equipment that they still use and a ton of old wood in storage.

While we were there a couple guys stopped in. One had a cue he bought a few weeks ago that the finish was cracked near the bumper. You could tell he had hit the floor or something pretty hard with it, but they said they'd re-finish it for him anyway. the other guy said his shaft wasn't straight. Looked like it had a very slight taper roll. It was a year old. David took the cue into the shop and found a shaft that matched and gave it to him.

Both guys looked like the type that would leave the cues in the car or truck year round to cook in the summer and freeze in the winter. Both cues looked to be well less than $100 new, but David took care of both of them without hesitation.

I have 4 or 5 of their cues now and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. :thumbup:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple years back I ordered a cue with very specific specs that just didn’t come out as requested. Couple big misses in meeting my requested specs. They were very nice and refunded my money when I decided I didn’t want to try the build again.

Fast forward to a month ago and I decided to give them another try when I wanted an inexpensive cue to keep in my car. Ordered a basic sneaky and a soft case for $128 delivered. Cue is great, very good quality for that price and really can’t be beat IMO. Amazing that you can get a quality US made cue at this price and I’m very happy I tried Schmelke again.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I know for a fact Schmelke stands behind their product even after use. I do recall reading on this forum, that Joss warranty is no longer good the moment you chalk the cue. Is that true or false? A one word response will suffice!

You know for a fact, huh? I have two cues I keep around as a reminder that they don’t. They have had their share of horror stories as well. Anyone who wants to see the “quality workmanship” that can come out of the Schmelke plant can have a look at the two custom cues I ordered from them back in 2008.

ryanshea

Dreamer of dreams
As another data point, I am thoroughly impressed with what Schmelke produces at an affordable price. They will make custom modifications to shaft diameter, taper, ferrule, etc on their production cues for prices which do not gouge the customer. I've ordered a a cue, three shafts, and an extension from them and have been happy.